infect...INFECT!

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

glych
Frequent Poster

Post by glych »

maybe this should go in "Commerce", but I'm not sure...correct me if I'm wrong Greg.

<a href="http://www.alexrossart.com">Alex Ross</a> was just commissioned by the Academy of Motion Pictures to work on this years Lithograph for the Academy Awards ("Oscars" for those in the back).

I bring this up, because I live relitively close to LA and Hollywood and was watching the news earlier today when (amazingly) an interview came on with the currator, and they were actually being <i>respectful</i> towards comics and Alex's craft...until:

---
IN: So, how long has he (Alex Ross)been drawing comic books?

CU: About 10 years, almost 11.

IN: And in all that time did he ever think he would be able to do real work?

CU: Real work?

IN: Yeah, not comics.

CU: He <i>was</i> doing "real" work. It's all real, even the bad stuff.

IN: But it's not mainstream or important.

CU: What do you think is mainstream or important?

IN: Books! Literature! Art!

CU: I dare you to go to any bookstore anywhere and ask them for a graphic novel. That's a comic, and it's fully acceptable as a book by most distributors.

IN: But it's not important, no one important reads comics, and if they did, they don't read them anymore.

CU: I read comics. Some of my clients read clients...

IN: Yeah, but who are some of your clients?

CU: That read comics?

IN: Yes.

CU: Steven Speilberg, Steve Oderkerk (by the by: Steve O is my boss at O Entertainment-glych), Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, and Jeff Kline to name a few...

IN: Yeah, but none of the comics they read are mainstream.

CU: How do you know? Right now the finishing touches on the Spider-Man movie are being added, X-MEN did well last year, Predator was a great movie when it came out and helped to jump start Arnold Sworseneggers (sp?) carreer, speaking of which, who played Mr. Freeze in the last Batman movie, of which they're making a 5th, AND Superman is still one of the most rented films since it's release date on VHS. Comics sell, which is why we got Alex to do this art for us, not because we feel sorry for him "squandering his talent", but because he's just good. His work is just good.
---

Now, I'm paraphrasing a lot. Forgive me, it was from memory off of the TV and the transcript isn't online yet from the channel I saw this on. Some further highlights from the Interview was a statistic of Alex's comic sales vs the Death of Superman (which I think was unfair), a refference to both of Scott's books as teachable materials in college and high schools, and a focus on Marvel Comics recent financial troubles. All in all aside though, I think the interview ended on an upturn. WHat with the currator defending comics like that and all. I also talked to Steve (my boss) about the currator using his name openly like that and everything (part of my job is tracking down copyright infringement. EX: someone had <b>Thumb Wars: The Phantom Cuticle</b> on their site for all to download with no permission from O for months...i was the one who had to break the lawsuit against the guy) and he was pretty open about what comics he reads and was a bit shocked when I started rambling on about how they're changing in their pupa into something bigger, broader, and a lot more unique than their ancestors.

To say the least, he was impressed by my optomism.

I think it's safe to assume we're slowly infecting the masses all over again...

Feels good, don't it...

-glych
---
"I may not be able to move that rock, but -man- can I make that rock think it's been moved"-Corran Horn, Star Wars

Glych's Experiment
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

awsome!

a thought:

maybe the interviewer was playing devil's advocate, trying to get into the head of the common person and ask the questions that they would ask. Then the common people could get their answers and comics would gain just a little bit more prestige...

but then I didn't watch the program, so I don't know....

vince
gazorenzoku@hotmail.com
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
ashess
Regular Poster

Post by ashess »

sure sounds like it, but then I didn't see the show either.
still, screenpictures arent's comics. and neither are they taken very seriously... are they?
sandy carruthers
Regular Poster

Post by sandy carruthers »

Not seeing the interview, from what Gylch (sp) says... it sounded like a great interview for comics! Even if the interviewer was ignorant(not witty) there were excellent points made. Movies from comics have always existed since the cliffhanger days. Does it convert people to become comic readers? No. Does it raise awareness levels with the public toward the art of comics. Minimally! But... who cares? The fact that cinema is connecting the dots is good enough for me.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

On 2001-12-06 05:32, ashess wrote:

still, screenpictures arent's comics. and neither are they taken very seriously... are they?
...what a shame that is... i just love escapism in any form!! I don't see what the big deal is about the so-called matured arts... of course they are great, it's all great.
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

On 2001-12-06 07:07, sandy carruthers wrote:
The fact that cinema is connecting the dots is good enough for me.
I agree. One side note, however, though:

I just wish that Hollywood would stop trying so desperately to make movies based on comic books have some sort of "comic booky" sort of look. You can tell that they try too hard sometimes, like in Dick Tracy, for example. But, all in all, just having more entertainment in the world is definitely a great thing! Can't get enough of it, that's for sure!
ashess
Regular Poster

Post by ashess »

I agree. One side note, however, though:

I just wish that Hollywood would stop trying so desperately to make movies based on comic books have some sort of "comic booky" sort of look.
hm,. maybe they try to hard,.. but the idea is kinda nice. means they actually read the comic and not a summary. lol.

Post by Guest »

On 2001-12-10 17:18, ashess wrote:
hm,. maybe they try to hard,.. but the idea is kinda nice. means they actually read the comic and not a summary. lol.
yeah....
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

the above fount of wisdom under the name "anonymus" belongs to me...

vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>