Chapter One

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Post by Zubkavich »

Hey Everybody,

I'm proud to announce that the first chapter of Makeshift Miracle is done! I wanted to structure my stories much like a comic book, so 24 pages of story = one chapter.

Now that the first part's finished, I was hoping to get people's opinions of the story so far. What did you like, dislike, etc? What can I do to improve the site, content or any aspect that makes up the web comic?

If you haven't read it yet, please start from the first page link right here:
http://miracle.keenspace.com/d/20010910.html

Thank you in advance. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

PS: I'm also posting this message on the Ecartoonists Yahoo Group, but those are the only two spots. I didn't want you guys to think I was spamming the message boards :smile:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jim Zubkavich
http://miracle.keenspace.com
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Post by Tailsteak »

Miraculous.

I really think you've got something good here, Zubkavich. You know what you're doing.

I hope your second chapter is as good as your first.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Good job, Jim! As for constructive criticism, I have only one complaint and it's minor: The "Previous Page" and "First Page" links on your index page are above the comic, while on all other pages they're below the comic. On the index page, they seem to become lost amidst the Title, your name, and the Keen-required advertisement, and several times I've not found them right away, even though I know they're probably in an obvious place. I've done this enough times to remember my mistakes, but I still think it's a tad awkward. I'd suggest adding a second set of "Previous" and "First" buttons under the comic on the index page (not removing the ones on top).

Otherwise, I find the site design to be one of the most pleasing ones I've come across- Clean, elegant and easy to navigate.

You've probably been hearing lots of nice things about your comic itself, and I'm not likely to add anything new on that score, but the art is very nice and I'm interested enough in the story to have bookmarked your site for regular reading. I expect to become even more interested once Chapter Two starts explaining the events of Chapter One.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Post by Zubkavich »

On 2001-11-05 13:41, Greg Stephens wrote:
I have only one complaint and it's minor: The "Previous Page" and "First Page" links on your index page are above the comic, while on all other pages they're below the comic.
That's a good point. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll fix that up when I get a chance.
Otherwise, I find the site design to be one of the most pleasing ones I've come across- Clean, elegant and easy to navigate.
Well, the site was built to be simple and load fast... very fast. The entire site, including History, Tutorials and all the pages so far is just over 3 megs. I love Photoshop 6's 'Save For Web' feature.
You've probably been hearing lots of nice things about your comic itself, and I'm not likely to add anything new on that score, but the art is very nice and I'm interested enough in the story to have bookmarked your site for regular reading. I expect to become even more interested once Chapter Two starts explaining the events of Chapter One.
Well, it will be a slow brew... so I hope you're up for it. Everyone seems to be categorizing the story as Sci-Fi, so it should be entertaining watching as people see things shift.

I have a definite idea of how Makeshift Miracle starts and ends. The middle portion can be shortened or lengthened based on how things are progressing. I'm trying to leave myself quite a bit of flexibility so I can let the story go where it wants to until I decide to end it.

I have a lot respect for what you've pulled together with Zwol, Greg. I hope I can grab an audience with characters as interesting as the ones you've created.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jim Zubkavich
Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Post by Zubkavich »

By the way, Greg...

Thanks for the mention of Makeshift Miracle on your front page. I appreciate the boost :smile:
Jim Zubkavich