Panel Arrangement

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Post by Zubkavich »

Hi Everyone,

I'm realizing now, after 40+ pages of sequential work on Makeshift Miracle, how hard it can be to come up with new ways to arrange panels and keep it fresh. Don't get me wrong, there are times when a standard page layout delivers the material well, but I also want to branch out with new and interesting layouts while still staying in the same page size I've set out for myself.

I'm quite pleased with today's page (#40) because it's one of the more interesting page layouts I've attempted. I was worried that the tiny panels wouldn't work well, but they actually come across fairly clear.

That and using alphabet soup to convey another layer to the characters' thoughts is just something I like :smile:

Do any of you guys find it difficult laying pages out?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jim Zubkavich
http://miracle.keenspace.com
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

New layouts come to me pretty easily, but that shouldn't be a surprise -- one of my top three reasons for doing <i>Desiderata</i> was to play with layouts and narrative techniques. However, getting new layouts to mesh with the storyline I find to be <i>very</i> difficult. I've started an idea file just full of visual devices and layouts so I can browse and select good matches for what I'm trying to convey in the future.

BTW, <i>Makeshift Miracle</i> rocks!
Peace out,

Max Leibman

Desiderata - Go. Read. Critique.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

As for me, panel layout is an integral part of the writing process, so arranging panels is exactly as difficult as writing any given comic. That is to day, sometimes it comes easy and sometimes it comes hard. That said, I'm always pleased when I can come up with a panel layout that's interesting in itself.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

I'm real haphazard about panel layouts, I just stick the panels any old place on the image and make it bigger if I run out of space. I'm working on an a comic that fills space right now, with normal rectangular panels, but it's going so slowly it may never be ready. Not because of layout issues though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jack Masters on 2001-12-12 14:30 ]</font>
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Post by Tailsteak »

Whoa... you mean there's more than one way to arrange panels?
glych
Frequent Poster

Post by glych »

Well, as for Frank (<a href="http://framed.keenspace.com">Framed!!!</a>) and I, what we do is play with the size of the canvas itself... you can have a lot more play that way... but I know what you're talking about...

I tried to get one of those scroll ups you often get in animes for an introduction of a character but was forced to make a "U" shapes panel layout (<a href="http://glych.keenspace.com/d/20011012.html">Here,</a> if you're interested)...

This panel layout made me uncomfortable because you end up in the upper right hand corner which goes against the natural "flow" of a comic page- but then again- webcomics are making new rules for themselves all the time....

-glych
---
"I may not be able to move that rock, but -man- can I make that rock think it's been moved"-Corran Horn, Star Wars

Glych's Experiment
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Actually I think that flows quite well. I had a hard time understanding what you meant based on your description alone, but once I read the comic in question, it makes sense. Good use of panel arrangement to simulate a cinematic effect.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

I enjoyed glych's layout. One thing that comes into question with web based comics is the size of the browser that people are using. In the casea of glych's work, I noticed that the computer screen I was veiwing from displayed the right panel along with the stuff on the left. Perhaps if there was more space, so that basically the panel on the right isn't seen until the viewer reads the stuff on the left, the effect might have a little bit more punch. (not that punch is always the best, but it seemed to be what the work was going for)

It wasn't too big of a problem, cause the darkness of the screen sort of helped to lead the eye around the way it was supposed to go, but keeping in mind different screen sizes and different browser window sizes might be a good thing for the future. I am having some difficulties with those issues myself right now...

All in all, a cool effect that will now probably be copied over and over again by thugs and idiots like myself...

vince
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
glych
Frequent Poster

Post by glych »

Well, you see- that was one of the reasons why I was feeling uncomfortable with it- I used to view things at a lot higher resolution, making things really tiny on my monitor- and noted that too....but now that I'm viewing things at 600X800 again (the most common layout for webusers) I find it's a lot easier to plan for the majority, wrather than the minority (like us?)...

You can't please everybody all the time...

But thatnk you- I'm glad you liked it.

-glych
---
"I may not be able to move that rock, but -man- can I make that rock think it's been moved"-Corran Horn, Star Wars

Glych's Experiment
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

On 2001-12-12 07:42, Zubkavich wrote:
Do any of you guys find it difficult laying pages out?
<a href="http://www.angryflower.com">Bob the Angry Flower</a> has a lot of different page layouts, and he seems to be able to always keep it readable in a logical way.

I just quickly went back over some of the Miracle looking at the layout, and it seems you could throw an oval or semicirle shaped panel in every once in a while, if you wanted to do something different. It might change the feel of the strip, though, as it appears you've never done a non-rectangular panel.

You could also do the classic
<pre>
+----+----+----+
|plot|plot|plot|
| | /-+----+
+----|-/ |
|plot| Action! |
+----+---------+
</pre>
but you generally give your action a full strip sized panel (like 20010926).

You're doing great with the Makeshift Miracle. It's a really great story with really great art. I check it every day for updates. The story you wrote with your friends is great too. If I was to sum it all up in a word, that word would perhaps be 'great'.