Scott 'PVP' Kurtz Joins Modern Tales!

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Post by Zubkavich »

For Immediate Release
February 14, 2002
http://www.moderntales.com

Scott Kurtz, creator of PvP, to join MODERNTALES.COM lineup

Today, the innovative alternative webcomics subscription service MODERNTALES.COM announced that Scott Kurtz, creator of the popular online comic strip PvP (PVPONLINE.COM), will be creating a new comic series, entitled WEDLOCK for exclusive presentation on the MODERNTALES.COM website.

Among the approximately 25 other cartoonists who will be creating new work for the site are Tom Hart, Gene Yang, Lea Hernandez, David Gaddis, and Joe Zabel. A complete list of cartoonists who have committed to work with MODERNTALES.COM can be found on the company's website, http://www.moderntales.com

"This is fantastic work being offered, and worth the subscription price," said Kurtz. "Some of these guys are Eisner award winners. It's an honor to be associated with them."

MODERNTALES.COM is offering a large number of original "alt-flavored" webcomics series, by well-known professional cartoonists, for a small monthly subscription fee. Readers who sign up for the company's notification service ( by sending an email to notifyme@moderntales.com )before the site's March 1 launch date will pay $2/month, or $20/year if they prefer to pay annually.

Joey Manley, the editor and publisher of the MODERNTALES.COM website, said, "I'm especially excited about this because it's not what anyone would have expected Scott to do, artistically, from a business perspective, any which way you turn it. Artistically, WEDLOCK has an autobiographical, even literary feel to it, though it's still built on top of Scott's trademark wit and strong, believable characterizations. Scott is going to turn a lot of heads, and be taken more seriously, as a major cartoonist, because of this work - he's always deserved serious critical attention. This series will prove that."

Kurtz said, "The work I'm going to do for MODERN TALES is a departure from PvP. WEDLOCK is a much more personal strip. It's looser, messier, than PvP. I'm not going to be going after the goofy gag with each installment It's more therapy than comedy."

Manley added, "Scott's reputation among webcartoonists is as a shrewd businessman. He is one of the few cartoonists actually making a living through his online comics work. In that regard, he has much less to gain by joining us than most webcartoonists. The fact that he endorses our business model, and has agreed to be part of it, gives us even more confidence in our chances for success."

"I have no problem with the subscription model," said Kurtz. I don't think it would work if we didn't have a fantastic lineup of talent. We'll see how well it works. I have more faith in this model than the PBS-like-donation-model we're seeing everywhere else."

"We don't expect to dominate the world," said Manley, who is funding the project out of his own pocket. "This isn't some crazy venture-funded dotcom insanity. We just want these cartoonists to make a living doing what they love."

Kurtz said, "Joey's not trying to get in over his head. He understands the realities of bandwidth, user demand, delivery and implementation. He's keeping it small and tight."

http://www.moderntales.com
Editorial contact:
Joey Manley
joey@moderntales.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jim Zubkavich
http://miracle.keenspace.com
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

thought i'd bump this one up to the top of the topics list because it is SO BADASS to have scott aboard!!!!!!!!!!!

yay, moderntales!
cayetano "cat" garza jr. Image
cybercholo/webcomix "pioneer"/weirdo
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Ditto. Especially since, while every name on the participant list that I recognize is a grade-A artist, Scott K has probably the largest online audience and, thus, the greatest name recognition. Always good to have a heavy hitter like that on board.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

Why isn't Scott McCloud part of Modern Tales?

later,
Randy
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I can't imagine that he wasn't asked, but from what I gather, he's got a lot of other stuff going on at the moment. However, since there's a recruitment drive every 6 months or so and since some creators may be leaving MT after their initial 6-month stint, I can't see that it's impossible that he would show up there someday.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

i've been working on getting scott to go for it, but with little success. doesn't mean i won't keep trying, though... :wink:

cayetano "cat" garza jr. Image
cybercholo/webcomix "pioneer"/weirdo