Tutotial: Jim Z demonstrates word balloons

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Jim Zubkavich has posted a new tutorial demonstrating how he creates word balloons. As with his other tutorials, it's concise and excellent.

View it here: http://www.makeshiftmiracle.com/TutWordB.html
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
buzzard
Frequent Poster

Post by buzzard »

My brain keeps trying to interpret the illustration as a piece of sequential art.
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

It must be an evil tutoial!
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

I noticed that Jim uses the oval selection tool for balloons which sometimes leaves some unnecessary white space. Here's an alternate method I use Adobe Illustrator to accomplish. The following was originally posted on Comicon.com.

For most work I letter in illustrator and import into Photoshop as a top Layer. The rest is done in Layers underneath. Because the gutters are filled in white, that means the panel borders are literally windows into each panel.

Apart from general flexibility, the most important virtue of Illustrator is the shape of the word balloons. Ovals and rounded rectangles always look a bit wrong on the page. In Illustrator, though, you can take one of their ovals and squash each of the 4 control points inward to get that perfect balloon shape, then scale it to whatever size you want.

Like so:

I've made whole kits of various balloons and tails derived from that basic squashed oval shape.
Kevin Pease
Regular Poster

Post by Kevin Pease »

Ah, Buzzard, but it is sequential art...
buzzard
Frequent Poster

Post by buzzard »

Zing, good point. But it's not supposed to be sequential in time, which is how my brain interprets it at first glance.