Making 24-Hour Comics

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Making 24-Hour Comics

Post by Greg Stephens »

Lookie here! A bunch of NYC-area artists got together and worked on 24-hour comics. This idea always gets me excited and yet I've never attempted it.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

Hi, I'm new here. Hopefully nobody minds me just jumping right in and posting :) (and hyping, I guess.)

Anyway, I did one a few months ago with a few friends. (results can be found on my www.contretemps.net site.) It was a lot of fun. I highly recommend it for people who (like myself) have only done short (1-2 page) comics in the past. It's as close to instant gratification as you are likely to get. (Actually, the comic a day thing looks like a lot of, um, fun too. Someday...)

Ben
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Anyone have any tips on 24-hour-comicing? I'm planning on doing one, since I need to shift around anyway. I don't draw well, so it should be amusing that way at least. I'd ray trace it, but they take a lot more than an hour to do anything worthwhile, using POVray.
Byron Pennyworth

Post by Byron Pennyworth »

Wow... that's good.

Bastard.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

Assuming that it's my comic you are talking about: thanks!

Wikkit: I recommend having plenty of food and water/beverage of choice stocked up beforehand, because once you start you don't want to have to stop to go out...

I doubt I would have been able to do mine if I hadn't been part of a group of people who were trying it, so roping friends into doing it too is a good thing. Even if they don't finish, they'll be there for a good part of it, and it's better than having them stop by to distract you.

Start right when you get up, not after you have been at work for eight hours.

If I did it again, I wouldn't pencil at all. That's what white paint (aka correcting fluid) is for, and I would have had time to paint in the black bits.
It's likely to be messy anyway.

For me, pages with two or three big panels were a lot faster to do than pages with 6 smaller panels. I spent a lot of time wondering what panel to draw next (and how to draw those panels), so fewer panels meant less time worrying about the story, even if the amount of drawing was the same. This can be important if you are falling behind schedule.

Hope that helps.

Ben
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
ragtag
Consistant Poster

Post by ragtag »

I have yet to make a 24 hours comic, but here is a little project I tried a while back. It sort of never really got of the ground and I plan to maybe rewamp and renew it one day and try to push it a little forward.

But for now you can check out The 24-hour Animation page. Same idea as the 24 hour comic, except it's 24 seconds of animation in 24 hours. See http://ragtag.tripod.com/24hours/

There is only one film there in the Film Index, mine. :-)

Regards,

Ragnar
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

More 24-hour comics

Post by Greg Stephens »

Another account of 24-hour comicking here:

http://www.slushfactory.com/columns/ar/index.php

Swear to God, man, someday I'm going to do this.
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

I'm with you Greg. I've never done it, but I've been thinking about it recently and I figure that it's about time that I did one. Though I've been thinking about a 24 hour on-line comic. Drawn, designed, and posted on-line in 24 hours....

...maybe I'm a art masochist...
Bjorn
Regular Poster

Post by Bjorn »

ragtag wrote:I have yet to make a 24 hours comic, but here is a little project I tried a while back. It sort of never really got of the ground and I plan to maybe rewamp and renew it one day and try to push it a little forward.

But for now you can check out The 24-hour Animation page. Same idea as the 24 hour comic, except it's 24 seconds of animation in 24 hours. See http://ragtag.tripod.com/24hours/

There is only one film there in the Film Index, mine. :-)

Regards,

Ragnar
That's awesome :)

Post by Guest »

i never really got past the first pages in my comics, mainly because i have so many other things to do at the moment, and when i start a story, it's often very difficult to get into it when a month or so has passed,... so i wonder in what measure doing 24H comics can crank up the pace and get an amateur comic artist like myself getting his hopes over the 8 page limit.

i'm currently working on/documenting a looong story (it would take me at least 7 x56 pages to tell it (whitout hopes of further sequels :wink: )

i'd like to do one with a couple of friends (hope they're up to it)

are there any special things i should prepare? (i'm already thinking of beds and a huuuuge amount of snack food :P )

hope someone who has already tried it can help me with this 8) 8) 8)
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Beds? No, no- sleep is not allowed!
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Oh, and (via the Morning Improv),here's a bunch more people who are doing some 24-hour comics. The madness spreads! Pretty soon I'll be the only person who hasn't done one.
japanimationfist
Consistant Poster

Post by japanimationfist »

My friend Matt Shepherd, from www.man-man.org is planning a 24 hour comic at his house on the 22nd of June. It has been in the talking and planning stages for the better part of a year, but now that the dat has been set we are pretty bound and determined to do it. A couple of webcomic folk from around Quebec are going to be attending. We're hoping for about eight to ten people in all.

Anyone else out there keen to try it the same weekend.? It would be cool if there were three or four pods of people all doing them that weekend, and then we could share the results (or at least the scary stories) the week after. Just a thought.