Length of comics and the web...

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob Stevenson
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Stevenson »

I never considered reading web-comics on anything other than a casual basis until I had no other choice. I recently moved to an island without a comic shop. The newstands carry ten year old comics whose covers are faded and staples are rusted. I've found three places that sell newer comics though one is the duty free shop at the airport. In any case the prices are at least three times the cover price and the only choice I have is between a four month old Spider-man and a six month old Superman. Despite all of this, every time I pass by one, I consider buying it.

I think my situation provides a couple of reasons why in the end electronic comics will win out whether or not they are inherently better. I was slow to turn to reading and now drawing web comics but the advantages of both are compelling. In the United States and a handfull of other countries, comic specialty shops are available, but for a large portion of the world, great print comics like Bone, Castle Waiting, Stray Bullets and the Acme Novelty Library don't exist. We can't even get the homogenized crap Marvel and DC produce. On the other hand, the world seems absolutely fascinated with US culture. Even throughout the Middle East and Africa where I've found most people despise US foreign policy decisions, they're willing to pay quite a bit for US music, fashion, entertainment. . . We may not have comics on the island but a huge percentage of people have high speed connections to the internet. I don't see the comic scene improving anytime soon but the internet is already here to stay and growing. The trick now is getting people to pay for that click. Printing a comic for me will probably never be an option while I'm on this island. I don't have the ability to market it. On the net though . . . this aside from the benefits of color, editorial decisions, subject-matter and the low pen to eye time. Though I love reading a good paper comic, there's plenty of room in my heart for both.

Bob Stevenson
www.journeyintohistory.com
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

Since I am in a similar situation, I thought I would share a few words. I live in Sapporo, Japan. Not much to be had in the way of American comics here....

(as a disclaimer, I love reading and drawing online comics too)

Buying Print Comics

1) I found comics could be ordered in graphic novel form from amazon.com. If you have a trustable contact in America, you can ship them to their house and get them to send the books to you in bulk shipments to reduce shipping price per book.

2) I also have amazon.co.jp, which is the Japanese based Amazon.com. They are cheaper for me, with free shipping (though the discounts are way less than the American counterpart).

3) On top of that, I have my old comic book shop in America saving stuff to send to me. They don't charge over the actual shipping price for shipping, which is a great service. They stock all the mainstream stuff, and are really good with independents and mini comics. I buy independent stuff on their recomendation all the time. Their website is a little bit rusty looking, but you cand find their e-mail address there: http://www.austinbooks.com/

4) There are also numerous places you can order comics online. The best one I have found is tfaw at: http://www5.tfaw.com/ . The only problem with this place is that small orders are more expensive per comic due to shipping magic.

Making Print Comics

1) For making mini-comics, I found that you can send files to Kinko's through the net or on CD, get them printed, pay over the net, and sell them at various stores in the US that sell mini comics. I suppose you can open up an American bank account to deposit your checks in if the banks in your country don't take American checks.

2) In addition to that, the entire ring of elements from "professional" printing, acceptance at Diamond shipping, selling in the stores, and receiving your check from Diamondcan be done from absolutely anywhere in the world.

To anyone stuck in an area that doesn't stock or sell comics like they damn well should, ask me if you have any questions about operating from afar. I have suffered through the various trials and tribulations that come with living in a foreign land, and have learned a few things about getting what you need when you are so far away from what you like...

Online comics are great for lots of reasons, but they shouldn't have to be a substitute for print comics just cause you aren't near a shop. To put it another way, you can enjoy online comics and still have your print comics too.

Feel free to mail me at: vince@gazorenzoku.com

As a side note, American music, movies, books, clothes, etc. are all worshiped over here in Japan....

vince
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

There is actually a topic on this "internationalism" of E-commerce that may be of importance on the "COMMERCE" board.

You may want to check it out:

http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92

I strongly believe that these two systems (a portable reader, and a chipcard reading device on every computer) are the technologies that are going to rule the world of media sooner or later. 8)

I'm actually getting depressed that, although all technology necessary exists, no-one is doing anything to apply it and get this thing off the ground! :cry:

I suspect that the *big* companies, that have the money to invest in these things, may be holding back because it would mean they would have to start competing with the smaller players in the field (independent comic book publishers are only a few of them: would you still buy Rolling Stone Magazine if you could get five decent fanzines at the same price, without having to put up with cluttering ads and a biased writing?)

Actually there's a new form of thrust emerging: the thrust of marketleaders and "rich" companies. This could only be broken by a bigger organisation (combined independent and smaller companies), but once combined they would start behaving like a corporate entity and avoid having to compete with the smaller ones again.

There are many Sci-Fi novels depicting a society ruled by corporations, but I guess no-one would have thought of the possibility of huge numbers of innovating small companies taking the lead!
Even throughout the Middle East and Africa where I've found most people despise US foreign policy decisions, they're willing to pay quite a bit for US music, fashion, entertainment. . .
This may all change when anyone with a computer and internet connection will be able to market their ideas!

The internet is continually getting cheaper, but no-one dares to ask why there are only so few internet aid programs in countries of the third world. Only recently they started something like it in regions of India with internet-able computers that cost (...rolling of drums...) LESS THAN ONE DOLLAR! (Tadaaaaaa!!!)

They should really try to make efforts like these a priority. Especially in the Middle East, where a lot of Islam-ruled countries could benefit from a wider view and the free speech the internet implies!!!!

Only as long as The Big Companies don't move their @$$ it won't matter a bit and we'll still be behind our potential in 20 years time.

Maybe it'll change once the public starts getting hints the technology is here but nobody uses it?

What do you think?

any possibility of making this public?
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Just thought I'd add a few points to the discussion. I just read the whole thread at once, so my thoughts will be ranging freely through what's been discussed, but hopefully it will still make sense.

First off, let me say that I'm firmly with Greg: Web comics good. Print comics good too. There are different things that I like better about each, but in the end, I'm committed to working in both media.

That being said, I do think there's value to having the same comics available in multiple forms, where possible. Without a doubt, I would buy print anthologies of Zwol or 1/0, or any number of others. If for no other reason than that it gives me a means to show this great work to friends who aren't as inclined to read off the Web -- it gives me greater power to share my discoveries.

As for the intangibility of digital work -- I do feel this is a problem. But the problem isn't inherent in it not having a physical form. It the fact that I'm powerless to ensure my own continued access to the work. Sure, you can say that a book can be destroyed just as easily as the server hosting the Web page. But the thing is, if my copy of the book gets destroyed, I can just go up to Amazon and buy a new copy. The server hosting the Web comic gets destroyed -- that's it. The reader is screwed -- he will never again have access to that work, and there was nothing he could have done to prevent it. If the publisher of the print book goes bust, and another copy is never printed, it's not that big a deal. I still have my copy sitting on my shelf. And if I don't, I just need to find someone who does, and convince them to sell it to me. If the publisher of a Web comic closes up shop -- the whole thing goes away forever.

Now, there are solutions to this besides trying to print every comic. Distributing digital copies isn't that hard. The kind of E-Books that were discussed earlier are one solution, if you're looking for a harware solution, but there are already digital solutions. I've got an E-Book compiler that I bought for just $30, and it works pretty darn well. What it does is it takes all your HTML files and compiles them into an EXE file. Essentially, you can take any Web site you've made and compile it into one EXE file that retains all of the functionality of a Web site, including browser navigation buttons. Using this program, any one of us could take an entire Web comic (or any other kind of Web publication, for that matter) and create a file that could be stored on CD or downloaded by Internet, and hand out (or sell) as many as we wanted to whoever wanted it. For an initial outlay of just thirty bucks. That, to me, solves the whole intangibility problem. Once I've got that CD in my hand, I'm not going to worry about it any more.

Not to mention the fact that it solves the bandwidth problem. I'm on dial-up -- reading archives is a huge PIA. As a result, I never RE-read them. And I would like to. If I had the works on CD, it wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I'll look up the site where I got that compiler program and post the URL here, in case anyone wants to check it out.
ragtag
Consistant Poster

Post by ragtag »

As I started this thread (just forgot to log on when I did), I guess I should add something to it. :)

First, the tangebility of web comics, and collecting web comics. I'm no collector, but I can understand that people would want to save copies of online comics they like, so that they can a) re-read them, even though the site is gone and b) don't need to download them again if they have a slow connection. There are several solutions to this, such as software that will download an entire site (.e.g. Teleport Pro and that $30 software Alexander mentioned), and comics that come in e-book or Acrobat reader formats. In fact, it's hard for the author of the comics, to prevent people from making their own copies (the only way I can think of, is by doing the comic as some kind of streaming video...and even that can be captured, if you have the know how). Though having online comics on a CD, might not feel the same to some as having the "real thing" printed and published on paper (having the book as an "art object").

I have to agree with that both paper comix and digital comics are good, or even great. But when I started this thread, I was curious to know if long comics would work better in print, while shorter comics or series might fare better on the web. Though from all the replies, that didn't seem to be much of an issue. And thinking about it, I guess the deciding factor when reading a comic is it's quality (story and pictures), and not if it's on the web or in a book (oh...and that it has an interface that doesn't get too much in the way of the reading).

Has anyone here done an infinite canvas in print. I figure if you didn't make the comics just downwards, you could create an infinite canvas as a large poster. Could be kind of cool.

Ragnar
Bob Stevenson
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Stevenson »

The closest thing in print I can think of is the Acme Novelty Library. Some of the pages in the large edition (I can't remember the number) contained hundreds of panels. It was still confined by two sheets of 11 by 17 but I think they achieved some of the same feeling of space and experimentation as some of the infinite canvas pages on the web.

In response to the comments about printing from overseas, I find the web a much more comfortable place to publish. One of the main reasons web-comics make sense to me is again the pen to eye time. To print would drag that process out at least weeks and since I don't want to either rely on or spend the money to publish on paper I'll stick to the web.

As far as length, I think long form comics on the web can happen but most creators are not in the same boat as me. They would like to survive financially through their creations. Until this is possible for a larger number of people, I don't think we can really have a discussion of any substance about reading long-form on the web. Many artists can't afford the time needed to regularly produce a long-form strip so there are not enough out there for me to make a decision yet. My instinct is that both can work well. I'm trying to maintain both long and a short form strips. So I guess I'm not even sure which I'm more interested in creating.

Bob Stevenson
www.journeyintohistory.com
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Okay, I dug up the URL for that E-Book Compiler. Just to warn you, the site itself reads like the sleaziest sort of get-rich-quick infomercial. It's really horrid. But the program itself actually does work. They have a demo version you can try out. Here's the site: http://www.ebookcompiler.com.

Now, I had forgotten that the files do require a bit of modification before you can compile them. The main thing is just that they all have to be in one folder -- you can't have subfolders for site organization. Depending on how you design your sites, this may not be a problem, or it may be a big pain. Thing is, it means adjusting all your links to reflect the change in site organization. If you design with Dreamweaver, that's easy -- just move the files, and Dreamweaver automatically updates all the links. But if you code by hand, that could be really time-consuming.

Just to clarify, this program wouldn't be all that helpful for readers looking to make a copy of other people's sites. It could be done, but it would mean downloading each individual file in the site. The program is really meant for use by the original author.

And in any case, the idea that I could download and save someone else's site and content really doesn't appeal to me. It feels like stealing to me. If I'm going to have a copy of someone else's work, I honestly WANT to pay them for it. I never used Napster for the same reason. In fact, the only MP3s I've ever downloaded are ones I bought directly from the artists.

And the fact is, I would like to see more Web comics getting anthologized, not just so that I can have copies of my own, but so that I can show my support for their work in a monetary way.
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Getting back to the subject the thread-starter was actually interested in:

Personally, I do find it easier to read long-form comics in print form. This goes back to the same reasons other people have preferred print -- portability, less eye-strain.

Also, reading long-form on the Web can be really frustrating with dial-up. Of course, this can be avoided if there's a way to download the whole book at once. And, of course, there is. You should check out www.unboundcomics.com. Long form comics delivered via Acrobat E-Book Reader (which is a much better interface than Acrobat's PDF reader). They even pay the creators. I don't know how much they actually make, but it's based on their sales. The sites still in business, so I guess some ammount of money is coming in. In any case, single issues (and these are actual full-sized issues, frequently longer than a print issue would be) cost $1.50. Graphic Novels and anthologies cost $10.00. I can't comment on the quality of the work overall, as I've only bought one book from them so far, but I was pretty happy with it.

Boy, I'm starting to feel like a salesman. I swear, I'm not getting any kickbacks from these sites I'm mentioning!
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

ragtag wrote:Has anyone here done an infinite canvas in print. I figure if you didn't make the comics just downwards, you could create an infinite canvas as a large poster. Could be kind of cool.
Not I, but Scott's got a printout of "My Obsession With Chess" which is pretty impressive (I think it was done for him as a gift by some guys at Xerox).
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

I was thinking of making a comic that reads like a scroll, but I still haven't found a printing format that is cheap and good yet... I found some scroll paper, but to mass produce I would have to print on regular paper and attach it to the scroll, and I don't know if I want to do that...

---

My response to the original question, in case anyone cares, is that I much prefer longer comics in print form than on the net. To me, the internet is kind of a quick fix medium. I have waited for long downloads, and that doesn't bother me if I am told in advance that the download is long. I usually find something else to do during the download time. But for some reason I get ancy when I have to sit and read something for a long time at the computer. I have no idea why....

This is a real problem for me in accepting the concept of online comics being our future. I really feel uncomfortable sitting in front of a computer for long amounts of time. Does anyone else feel this way?

I do love what I see online, and have a blast making my own online comics, though. I wish I could enjoy it more....
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Well, okay, one of my earlier comments, while true at the time, is no longer true. Just thought I should mention it, for the sake of honesty. I did say that I was not affiliated with UnboundComics. And at the time, that was true -- however, as of today, I am officially on their staff. At the time I made my post, I had already responded to their ad for volunteers, but had not yet heard anything back from them.

So, in any case, I should point out that everything they have ever published kicks ass! At least, I'm SURE that's what I'll say once I've read it all. =)

Seriously, though, I've read three books so far, and I really did think they were pretty darned good.

Post by Guest »

I have waited for long downloads, and that doesn't bother me if I am told in advance that the download is long. I usually find something else to do during the download time. But for some reason I get ancy when I have to sit and read something for a long time at the computer. I have no idea why....
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you don't know how big the story is? I tend to count that in when I read books (i.e. not comic books): I have completely different expectancies from short novels than from heavy, "War & Peace"-type books. When you're holding a book, it gives you a clue of its length by the number of pages you're holding--even unconsciously.

I've noticed that the longer online comics that read easier to me, gave me a clue of some sort as to the number of pages to come (all pages where clickable as quick links on screen, or the page numbe and total number of pages where noted on screen,...)

Maybe this is just because the better comics are better "implemented", and thus have one of these options available. Maybe not.

I do believe however that only few comics can be great without at least using once in a while the "great rule of good comics", which is to ALWAYS have a teaser included. Something that makes you want to "turn the page to read on!"

This was already pointed out by someone else on he board (forgot where and who, though ), and I believe it is essential to most comics being acclaimed for their easy and fluent reading. It sets the pace and drives the story! When you are reading an ordinary (paper) comic, glimpses of the future (images you haven't read,... micro-teasers), permeate into your brain and raise the need to know what they're about. When reaching the end of the page, it is often wise to create this same need by adding a teaser and keep up the rythm and tension !!!

Some online comics forget this altogether, and some others can't do this continually! (mainly because they're split up in seperate images, which makes a constant "end-of-page-teaser-tension" very annoying, or sometimes because the writer isn't thinking in "pages" anymore)

This is why ...
  • a. The infinite canvas may work better, as long as you have an idea of its size (constant micro-teasers in the form of future images)

b. Half pages don't always work that well (Too few elements per page to put an end-of-page teaser into)

c. Page-bound comics will continue to exist as their inherent way of story-telling is a very effective one (even if they're not necessarily paperbound!)
Well... any other views about this micro-teaser/end-of-page-teaser thing?

btw: these are not the formal words by which this phenomenon is currently known, so if anyone knows how Eisner or Scott call it, I'd be glad to change it to the "formal" wordings :wink:
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

The message before this one was mine (trouble logging in apparently :wink: )
alschroeder
Forum Member

Length of Comics and the Web

Post by alschroeder »

My feeling/prejudice is that shorter, episodic comics work better on the web, where attention span is pretty short....but NOWHERE GIRL blows THAT assumption out of the water...so I have to say it looks like it doesn't matter.---Al
Al Schroeder iii
http://mindmistress.keenspace.com---think the super hero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?
Think again.
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

My attention span is the same regardless.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

I think Nowhere Girl may work better because it publishes entire pages, and you get to become so intrigued and bound with the main character it "grips". (you can't let her go before having undergone a catharsis. It is a high-quality-written comic with real dialogue, not the suppsed-to-be-cool dialogue most comics are made of.

Though if "Nowhere Girl" had been published one or two images per page most of you wouldn't have savoured it the way you do now. :wink:
thrdgll
Regular Poster

Post by thrdgll »

gazorenzoku wrote:....
This is a real problem for me in accepting the concept of online comics being our future. I really feel uncomfortable sitting in front of a computer for long amounts of time. Does anyone else feel this way?
Lots of people feel this way, myself included, which is why I'm surprised there hasn't been a quicker mainstream turn towards television based home computer systems (many cable companies now serve both tv and internet through the same wire, after all). The sooner you get the PC out of the "work room" and into the den, where Joe America can surf the web from his la-z-boy, the sooner you can start addressing internet entertainment more seriously. I know these types of systems are available, but not as popular as they're destined to be. I'd say that transition has a better chance of converting technophobes than a portable electronic reader.

As for Scott's "six foot" panel in the online Zot comic, I thought a better use of this unique storytelling device was the last panel in "Brad's Somber Mood". You might be able to fit that one on a traditional comics page, but it "reads" much better when scrolled. I think that strip is just wonderful.
Ashley
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

thrdgll wrote:The sooner you get the PC out of the "work room" and into the den, where Joe America can surf the web from his la-z-boy, the sooner you can start addressing internet entertainment more seriously.
This prospect makes my mouth go dry and my hackles rise. The internet is first and foremost a communication medium (as this forum is an example of) and any attempts to cast it as an entertainment medium are very 20th century. It's not about the one-to-many model that TV, radio, newspapers, magazines and film represent, but a many-to-many model that requries a lot more than a TV-set-top box and a remote control to access. Turning the internet into a sort of sophisticated TV (as most, if not all, Hollywood studio heads would like) is a gross misuse of the technology.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

When you put it that way, I agree. Still, something should be done to make internet viewing a little bit more relaxing if online comics are going to succeed.

Then again, I just realized that maybe online comics should not have the same standards placed upon them as paper comics do in terms of passive entertainment. Maybe the best model for online comics is the internet forum. Recently people have been slinging around various things that online comics "should" make use to be pure online comics. Perhaps interactivity or something similar should be the standard.... perhaps not....

Anyhow, if online comics don't make the move to a more passive entertainment style of being enjoyed, then I think the popularity of online comics might be hindered..... for some time, at least. Who knows what the future will bring?

Vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

thrdgll wrote:The sooner you get the PC out of the "work room" and into the den, where Joe America can surf the web from his la-z-boy, the sooner you can start addressing internet entertainment more seriously.
Actually I agree AND disagree on this one.

I disagree on the point that computers will have to go TV-like to please. Actually it's the other way round! TV is getting increasingly interactive! (pay-per-view systems/choice of Movie/in Belgium they already digitised the complete TV archive to prepare for the next revolution, where you will be able to choose your TV programs from an archive which spans years of TV) So I wouldn't be amazed if the TV sets will become less of a lazy entertainment. I f this means there will be quality is another issue, though I believe that those in need of quality will find what they need!

Otherwise it IS true that computers have to become standard in order to be accepted as a household appliance and not as a working tool or a game for the kids. Apple has done a great deal in this revolution (The iMac being the first real "home computer"), but I wonder when a living-room-adapted computer will show (not only neat design, but a design you could hang on the waal for the whole family to admire). As long as the situation in which things are experienced won't change, the experience won't change either.

I spoke of portable small booklike computerscreens (say 7inches by 10 inches), and someone spoke about TV-like computerviewing (though this will not be passive! We don't want a hip version of TV shows)...

Whatever will come, I'm glad we and the comics creators and readers, will be part of it. We cannot afford to make the mistake Theatre made, when Movies and Television took over entertainment. They fought for years to claim a piece of a new type of media. We at least have the chance thanks to Scott McCloud and the online comics artists and occasional comic-obsessed Techies, to be on the front row whenever it happens! 8)
thrdgll
Regular Poster

Post by thrdgll »

Greg Stephens wrote:[

The internet is first and foremost a communication medium (as this forum is an example of) and any attempts to cast it as an entertainment medium are very 20th century. It's not about the one-to-many model that TV, radio, newspapers, magazines and film represent, but a many-to-many model that requries a lot more than a TV-set-top box and a remote control to access. Turning the internet into a sort of sophisticated TV (as most, if not all, Hollywood studio heads would like) is a gross misuse of the technology
Greg,

With all due respect to your vision of the internet's future, it sounds as if I've pushed the paranoia button here. I'm simply talking about moving the machine to a more comfortable environment, which would not, by itself, change the free nature of the internet. Were it not for controling corporate interests, television could now conceivably become a similar environment, whereby any of us would have available room to broadcast our own tv shows. Whether or not I use a remote from my couch to watch them wouldn't change that.

What prevents this freedom (and could prevent the freedom of the internet) is government regulation which excludes availability of the airwaves (or cable lines) to anyone but the corporate media. The tv set itself did not formulate this system, and does not care if it delivers zwol.org or Jerry Springer.

Like it or not, we cartoonists are in the "entertainment" business. This does NOT make us immediate kin to Hollywood moguls. It simply means we're involved in something apart from delivering news headlines or stock reports. And frankly, though I don't mean to imply a direct accusation, I can't see any reason to insist that the internet continue to be ruled by an "office" environment that wouldn't be viewed as simply elitist. As long as we are all free to contribute to the internet's content, we can continue to do so in the same manner as tv viewing. And we'll continue to be able to choose between "communication", enlightenment and the passive consumption of crap.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

coming in together...

Post by gazorenzoku »

A thought just came to mind. If the t.v. were the displayer of internet comics, then groups would be enjoying them together. I don't know if this would be good or bad, but that is the way it would be. It might be a bumpy ride for people with different reading speeds and interest levels, but for groups that can overcome these difficulties it might be very fun to get into a comic together in the living room....

vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Ashley:

I'm glad you clarified your thoughts somewhat. To clarify my own previous reply: I'm not talking about "keeping the internet free" and I'm not denying that comics on the web can be a form of entertainment. I am even in agreement with you that the future of the internet and of computers in general lies in making them simple appliances rather than complex technologies, but whenever the topic arises, I'm always going to be very quick to point out that the internet is a very different thing than other mass mediums- especially television. It seems that there is very often a comparison drawn between television and the internet because they are both primarily experienced via a glowing, square-ish screen, but that's all they share. I just think that the image of "Joe America [surfing] the web from his la-z-boy" draws a comparison to television which I would like to see us be wary of. Television is broadcasting and the internet is communication exchange.
thrdgll
Regular Poster

Post by thrdgll »

Greg,

Well, when I say "freedom", I'm including the freedom to contribute to the content, which, as you point out, is the primary difference in the mediums. Theoretically, television could've adapted (and still can) computer technologies - links, message boards, etc - and would by now be a very different beast. I'm sure we're going to see a merging of the two technologies, seeing as people are working so hard to make websites move and sound like movies and to make television more "interactive" (however you want to define that). I can see where the comparison is unjustified at the moment, but I think they'll be similar experieneces in the future. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, as I've said, as long as we're all still invited into the mix.

Ashley