But no one ever mentioned the walrus

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Anonymous wrote:Ahem.
Goo-goo-ga-choo.
But actually, if you look at the words sheet that comes with the Magical Mystery Tour cd, you will see that the words are, in fact, goo-goo-ga-joob.
Way ahead of you, mystery man.

http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... =joob#6366
http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... =joob#6368

When the dart-nosed Ball-buster slams into the Dick-head to kiss him, does she take out his left-eye?

Hey, Uniformed Bob put on a buisiness suit, and a pair of glasses, lit up a $5 cigar, and now he's the head honcho at Redmond, Fenwick and Dunbar.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

The woman looks cute.

Post by Guest »

Has anybody else pitied the two weirdos who argued and then kissed, passionately both times, for having such an incredibly idiotic excuse? Killer bees? :roll:

Post by Guest »

Hey, Uniformed Bob put on a buisiness suit, and a pair of glasses, lit up a $5 cigar, and now he's the head honcho at Redmond, Fenwick and Dunbar.
Actually, Uninformed Bob put on a business suit and a pair of glasses and lit up that cigar. You might say that now he is Uniformed, considering the business suit.
Dang. That's a good idea, sort of. Uniformed Bob, I mean. Uninformed Bob with a job and stupid coworkers, instead of a family and a stupid son. Except, Improvs are Improvs, after all.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Tip Ranion wrote:Hey, Uniformed Bob put on a buisiness suit, and a pair of glasses, lit up a $5 cigar, and now he's the head honcho at Redmond, Fenwick and Dunbar.
Actually, Uninformed Bob put on a business suit and a pair of glasses and lit up that cigar. You might say that now he is Uniformed, considering the business suit.
Dang. That's a good idea, sort of. Uniformed Bob, I mean. Uninformed Bob with a job and stupid coworkers, instead of a family and a stupid son. Except, Improvs are Improvs, after all.
Once again, I must apologise for my horrendous, two-fingered typing skills, and my inability to properly proofread a computer screen.

Turns out I'm not the only one to make this diputs.
http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... ormed#3091
http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... ormed#2966

Uniformed Bob could be about Uninformed Bob's days as a young man in the Army. The possibility for a character who hasn't been informed that the M-16 he is toying with is loaded, or that the ground he's walking on is the target area for the mortor range. Bloody, laugh-a-minute fun.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Fortunato
Frequent Poster

Post by Fortunato »

I dunno. This bob looks awfully, well, dignified. Doesn't a character have to lose dignity in order to be humorous? I suppose he's playing the straight man here.
Shawn

Odds...

Post by Shawn »

Whadaya wanna bet that Stuart wrote the memo that Mr. D's holding in Pirate?

It'd fit the office comedy style. Stuart is the foolish butt of all the jokes, Cathy and Stephen are the love each other/hate each other pair that provide the romantic tension with witty and biting remarks, Bernice is the acerbic receptionist, and Mr. D... hasn't said much yet. We'll have to watch him closely.

Meanwhile, pay no attention to the walrus.
Guaba

Post by Guaba »

Where did he get the paper? If it was on the floor, I didn't see him bend over.

Post by Guest »

Uniformed Bob could be about Uninformed Bob's days as a young man in the Army. The possibility for a character who hasn't been informed that the M-16 he is toying with is loaded, or that the ground he's walking on is the target area for the mortor range. Bloody, laugh-a-minute fun.
That's better than my idea. Except, how could you have the "same picture every comic" thing the way Uninformed Bob did? I hope some random person with drawing skills better than a walrus's tries it and shows me how.

Post by Guest »

*Random Guess* I think the walrus, meek little fellow that he is, will continue to be ignored until the last or so panel, when he'll leap from that chair, grab the closest person by the collar and shake them violently. Of course, the person being shaken will still pay no attention to the walrus, and after he leaves, in a huff, the shaken one will attend to work as usual.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

No, no- The Walrus will continue to be ignored and eventually leave as quietly and politely as he entered.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

Quite a bit of plot development in today's panel. :roll:

Here's a hypothesis: Because releasing one panel a day makes the audience pay much more attention to each panel, the audience pressures the artist to move the story more quickly or to include much distracting entertainment in each panel.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Which probably explains why Monkey Town was so popular.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.

Post by Guest »

. . . Mr. D... hasn't said much yet.
No! See today's panel! He said "Hmm"! :roll: I can't believe no one's commented on how much conversation this guy is full of! (Or perhaps some other type of thing he's full of, being able to conjure paper out of nowhere like that.)

Post by Guest »

Or perhaps some other type of thing he's full of, being able to conjure paper out of nowhere like that.
Are you saying he's full of sheet?

Post by Guest »

Exactly! In that respect Mr. D is much like other comic strip bosses. I mean, take a look at the pointy-haired one in Dilbert.
alsis37
Forum Member

Sigh.

Post by alsis37 »

I dressed up as the pointy-headed boss one year for Halloween. An alarming number of people thought I was Pat of "It's Pat !" fame. Which really pissed me off because while I find Julia Sweeney funny away from that horrid nullifier of humor: SNL, I always found "It's Pat" about as funny as stomach flu.

At least some people figured it out, though. The best part was carrying around a mini-Etch-A-Sketch and growling, "Don't touch my computer !" at anyone who looked at it.
"...It's like my birthday every day
'Cause Mr. Monk is such a ray of wisdom and light
You know he dried all the fears from my eyes
And in time
All time
Will be time..."

--- The Negro Problem

Post by Guest »

The best part was carrying around a mini-Etch-A-Sketch and growling, "Don't touch my computer !" at anyone who looked at it.
I love that! It totally captures the idiotic mentality of the pointy-haired boss. Here's another idea: go around saying "button" and poking people on their shirts (that is, if they have buttoning shirts). When nothing happens, look around as if expecting something.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

watching the clock

Post by Eric F Myers »

This comic makes me feel like I'm at the DMV. I keep watching that damn clock to see how time has gone by. I'm sure the walrus feels much worse.
Wilhelm Klink

Post by Wilhelm Klink »

Nobody ever noticed the fop with the monocle.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

He looks Russian.

Actually, he looks better suited to a story titled "Murder on the Orient Express."

(Hmm, maybe I should move this to a certain other thread.)
Christopher Lundgren
Frequent Poster

Re: Sigh.

Post by Christopher Lundgren »

alsis37 wrote:I always found "It's Pat" about as funny as stomach flu.
I would issue a challenge to anyone to watch the film version of It's Pat. Seriously, it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I watch bad movies for fun. I think it might even be worse than A Night at the Roxbury. (With "special" guest star Richard Grieco!) I don't know. That's a tough call.

So I've been gone from the Improv for a while. Catching up on BNENtW, I found that I had much the same reaction as losttoy (although in a much shorter span of time as I was reading it all at once). After I saw the two of them arguing I was thinking, "oh, now I suppose they're going to start kissing passionately like characters in shows and movies always do when they're pissed off at each other." When it didn't happen, I was about to give Scott the thumbs up, until they came rushing back in. I mean I'm not saying it was a huge mistake or anything, just a little disappointing to see the cliche pop up once again. I know for me, if there's a girl I'm arguing with, the last thing I want to do is make out with her. Maybe I'm in the Male Minority here. Usually a kick in the shins would seem more appropriate. (Not that I would actually do it, mind you.)

On the other hand, having the two of them go at it made it possible to see a blushing walrus, which has got to be the cutest damn thing I've ever seen Scott draw.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Poor walrus has been waiting hours.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

One hour.