But no one ever mentioned the walrus

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

MSUSpar10
Regular Poster

Post by MSUSpar10 »

Rip Tanion wrote: After much squinting I'm quessing it's GAMES magazine.
It eaither says that, or "Gates". There's a person on a horse (or rocking horse) on the cover...hmmm.
"I'm here to do some card tricks and fall way short on the yardstick of your love."
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

You can call me mean, but I hope someone sits on the walrus' hat.
Aquilo
Forum Member

That Crazy Gus

Post by Aquilo »

NOW what the heck is Gus holding?
Christopher Lundgren
Frequent Poster

Post by Christopher Lundgren »

Clearly its the graven image of Windfall, the god of finance, to whom the members of the firm pray twice daily in hopes that he will grant them a plentiful fourth-quarter bounty.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

MSUSpar10 wrote:
Rip Tanion wrote:After much squinting I'm quessing it's GAMES magazine.
It eaither says that, or "Gates". There's a person on a horse (or rocking horse) on the cover...hmmm.
Well, the font of the masthead on the cover is just like the one used for GAMES Mag. Of course , Scott could be doing a spoof, but personaly, I don't see a "T" where the "M" should be.
Aquilo wrote:NOW what the heck is Gus holding?
Looks like a Mayan cookie jar.

You can never have enough monkeys!

Does Crayola still make Periwinkle?
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Hunter of Wisdom
Regular Poster

Post by Hunter of Wisdom »

The passage of time has been accelerating rather heavily in the last few panels. I wonder if we're approaching the end of the comic.
Aquilo
Forum Member

Post by Aquilo »

It started right before 9:00, so I'm sure it will go at least until 5:00.
Cat

Post by Cat »

Or not...

Looking like someone noticed the walrus
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Naw, it's a red herring. (Which our brimley would probably enjoy eating right about now.)
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
gareis

Post by gareis »

I think he's looking toward Stuart's office. The brimley is surely safe from his gaze.

He's probably starving by now, though. I feel sorry for him.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Maybe Cathy and Stephen are at it again just out of view.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Yeah, I'm with Greg, and co. I'd give even money that Mr. D is looking straight past the brimley towards something else.

DAMN! I should have trade-marked that word brimley when I had the chance. I could have charged all you clowns $2 every time you used it. Oh well, I screwed up again. I remain poor.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Michael Avolio

Post by Michael Avolio »

Okay, so I'm dumb. I just realized that Scott's drawing the walrus using the same brown lines he's using for the background, helping to seperate the walrus from the other characters (who are all drawn in black lines). Great technique, and I'm embarrassed to have just noticed it (although not so embarrassed that I'd post this annonymously, heh heh).

Oh, and, uh... brimley.

Post by Guest »

Hm. Actually, seeing how our dear brimley is not supposed to be noticed, p'raps he's been drawn like the background because Scott meant for him to sort of fade into the background.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Michael Avolio wrote:
Okay, so I'm dumb. I just realized that Scott's drawing the walrus using the same brown lines he's using for the background, helping to seperate the walrus from the other characters (who are all drawn in black lines). Great technique, and I'm embarrassed to have just noticed it
And Anonymous wrote:
Hm. Actually, seeing how our dear brimley is not supposed to be noticed, p'raps he's been drawn like the background because Scott meant for him to sort of fade into the background.
You're both right, actually.

(It's not Games magazine, btw. Though you're about a third of the way toward the correct answer.)
Aquilo
Forum Member

Post by Aquilo »

Does he have the ICQ flower on his hat?
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

guess the mag

Post by Eric F Myers »

Scott McCloud wrote: (It's not Games magazine, btw. Though you're about a third of the way toward the correct answer.)
I'm going to guess Computer Gaming World. The title font and location look similar, but it's hard to tell.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

efm writes:
I'm going to guess Computer Gaming World . The title font and location look similar, but it's hard to tell.
Got it! Good job.

CGW, as some of you might know, has hosted a one page comic by me in most issues over the last 2 years. I'll be wrapping it up with a 4 pager in a few months.
gareis

Post by gareis »

Let's see, it's about 2:45 there. He's finally fallen asleep. Poor guy--I mean, brimley.

But why does no one ever notice him? Is he a ghost? Is he the artist's illusion? Is it just too difficult for people to accept a 400lbs brimley in a suit, so they ignore him entirely? What will he do at 5pm?

Post by Guest »

You know who Bernice is now reminding me of? There's a comic strip in my semi-local paper (The Boston Globe, but I live in Newton) called Sylvia which features several running gags. One is called "The Woman Wh Lies In Her Personal Journal". That's who Bernice reminds me of.
IronSpike
Regular Poster

Post by IronSpike »

Anonymous wrote:Let's see, it's about 2:45 there. He's finally fallen asleep. Poor guy--I mean, brimley.

But why does no one ever notice him? Is he a ghost? Is he the artist's illusion? Is it just too difficult for people to accept a 400lbs brimley in a suit, so they ignore him entirely? What will he do at 5pm?

Maybe nobody wants to admit they can seem him. Sort of like a pink elephant. The boss is probably pouring all the gin out of his lunch thermos down the breakroom drain just off panel.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Spike might be on to something, here.

This may simply be a case of the Emporer's New Clothes...or the Office's New Walrus...ahem...I mean Brimley*.

*Good God, I've created a monster!!
Random Dent
Forum Member

Post by Random Dent »

Anonymous wrote: But why does no one ever notice him? Is he a ghost? Is he the artist's illusion? Is it just too difficult for people to accept a 400lbs brimley in a suit, so they ignore him entirely? What will he do at 5pm?
1. No- hence the title of the improv.
2. Possibly. But he does look pretty solid.
3. Maybe.
4. Sometimes. It's hard for people to accept a lot of things, and this doesn't look like an easy free going libral company.
5. Depends on his strength. He will either (a) go home or (b) stay there.
"One can not be a good dicator and design women's underclothings."
-Jeeves, The Code of the Woosters
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I agree in that I don't think he'll be noticed. I expect he'll just go home at the end of the day. He doesn't get noticed because he's just that sort of fellow and much too polite for his own good.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.