anyone ever actually send samples into Marvel or DC

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

I have sent off samples

Poll ended at Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:47 pm

oh yeah
25%
not yet
75%

Total votes: 4

RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

anyone ever actually send samples into Marvel or DC

Post by RobertErdody »

how did that work out?
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

hows my drawing???

Post by RobertErdody »

Stinty
Regular Poster

Post by Stinty »

Pretty certain DC and Marvel do not accept unsolicited submissions, so I imagine most people are going to reply in the negative.

In the current comics world, and I speak solely as a writer, it is VERY difficult to find anywhere to submit a writing proposal. There are several companies that DO accept blind submissions (see the links in my sig), but even these gt flooded with submissions and usually don't have time to response (or possibly even LOOK at) all the submissions they get.

I think the best way to get noticed by the Big Two is to have a body of published work to either so them at conventions or for them to notice in some other way (Diamond magazine, word of mouth, etc).
THE SPAMHAMMER!

Rambling Words:
www.travisstunt.com
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

yes they do

Post by RobertErdody »

the only one that doesn't take samples is IDW based on the websites
Last edited by RobertErdody on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinty
Regular Poster

Post by Stinty »

Really? Care to enlighten us and point out where they say they do accept unsolicited submissions?

http://marvel.com/help/category/17/topic/30
Seems pretty clear to me.

And the only submissions DC accept are for the Talent Workshop which is currently closed - hence no unsolicited submissions.
THE SPAMHAMMER!

Rambling Words:
www.travisstunt.com
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

have you had your portfolio reviewed

Post by RobertErdody »

I was planning on having mine viewed at San Diego but it was sold out like months in advance
Stinty
Regular Poster

Post by Stinty »

Your poll topic is 'anyone ever actually SEND samples into Marvel or DC' not has anyone taken a portfolio to a comic con for review. Based on the question asked in the poll, you cannot submit (by sending) to Marvel or DC as they do not accept.
THE SPAMHAMMER!

Rambling Words:
www.travisstunt.com
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

aw hell

Post by RobertErdody »

are you even an artist or are you a writer
Stinty
Regular Poster

Post by Stinty »

Your topic only mentioned 'samples'. I replied, and if you read it, you would note that I mentioned I was replying 'solely as a writer.'

If you intended this thread to be aimed solely at artists, perhaps you should change the title to reflect your actual intention. That way everyone will understand what you are trying to ask in your poll.
THE SPAMHAMMER!

Rambling Words:
www.travisstunt.com
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

Post by RobertErdody »

Stinty wrote:Your topic only mentioned 'samples'. I replied, and if you read it, you would note that I mentioned I was replying 'solely as a writer.'

If you intended this thread to be aimed solely at artists, perhaps you should change the title to reflect your actual intention. That way everyone will understand what you are trying to ask in your poll.
I don't consider samples the same as a submission at all if I wanted to start a creator owned book I would submit to image if I wanted pencil a already running book I would send samples to the editor just like the Toddfather
PatriciaLoupee
Reinvents understanding

Post by PatriciaLoupee »

Dude, I'm not a moderator (this forum clearly has none), but this part of the forum is for people that want to find artists/colorists/writers and whatever, not for general discussion. There's a whole forum for it here: http://www.zwol.org/forum/index.php
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

My thoughts

Post by Ruyei »

Hey Patricia.

I've seen some very good threads here that are simply discussion, so I would disagree that discussion has no place here (though it is certainly not the focus).

As for you RobertErdody, please understand that you are being very rude to the people around you are simply trying to add or clarify the discussion you've started. You asked a question, showing that you wanted feedback and clarification, and when you got clarification you didn't like you would give short answers simply stating that they were wrong from your point of view. Especially your comment asking someone if he was a writer or an artist is particularly inflammatory, since we're all creators here and in a situation where a person is submitting to a publisher we're all equal. I know you didn't mean it that way, but your style of short answers and posts really makes it very easy to misunderstand your intentions, especially since "sending samples" very easily comes across as sending submissions which indeed Marvel and DC do not accept. And creator owned or not the policy is the same, even for artists sending out pencils. You may be able to, perhaps, shift through the crowd at a convention and show your work, but consider for a moment the crowd of people who will likely be doing the same thing. My impression is that Marvel and DC largely go after established creators who either self-publish or work with indies to some degree. No-one goes to unknown to drawing Spiderman, it just doesn't work that way.

Best,
Ruyei
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

Post by RobertErdody »

Bro I was just trying to be curious what sort of stuff people had done while trying to break in.... so I asked if anyone had sent off samples?...and then I get some snarky dude telling me no one even takes samples... like I'm a moron... but the point is... I asked if anyone sent in samples I didn't ask... if Im dumb for asking if anyone sent in samples.... or hey ma'am am I asking the wrong wrong question in the wrong place here.... its even a poll so click yes or no.... and then comment on how that went.... so for instance writer guy from aussieland could click no and move on.. I think people are spending way to much time hating and nay saying not nearly enough drawing however I like the energy... but lets all actually answer the right questions and for the record IM not asking you if I'm a moron or retarded I have already been checked out
vitus.m.paxton
Frequent Poster

Post by vitus.m.paxton »

I saw Cebulsky in some video citing his email, so I sent him some of my works. Instead of c.b. some guy Rickey replied with the tips regarding line thickness and everything that I should improve
Ricco
Understands reinventing

Post by Ricco »

RobertErdody wrote:... and for the record IM not asking you if I'm a moron or retarded I have already been checked out
So, what was the verdict?😜
Ricco
Understands reinventing

Post by Ricco »

vitus.m.paxton wrote:I saw Cebulsky in some video citing his email, so I sent him some of my works. Instead of c.b. some guy Rickey replied with the tips regarding line thickness and everything that I should improve
Huh??🤔
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

thankyou

Post by RobertErdody »

Thank you that's the kinda stuff I was looking for
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

aw hell

Post by RobertErdody »

Ricco wrote:So, what was the verdict?😜
hey Trooper you lookin for work cause I don't see any links and whats bump mean if you don't mind my asking I figured you would know since that's about all you say on here
vitus.m.paxton
Frequent Poster

Re: aw hell

Post by vitus.m.paxton »

This is something that alegedly really happened. Marvel's editor c.b.cebulski used to be a regular guest at Makarska comic fest in Croatia. Coastal city, late May, perfect way to spend some time abroad. He arranged meeting with some local artist whose been trying to break into real business for some 30 years. On his way to the meeting place c.b. was intercepted by some new comer artist who asked him to stop for a beer. And after a couple of bottles they arranged future collaboration even without seeing this guy's work. He's now one of the raising stars not only in marvel's but also dc's and dark horse's stuff:)
Ricco
Understands reinventing

Post by Ricco »

RobertErdody wrote:
hey Trooper you lookin for work cause I don't see any links and whats bump mean if you don't mind my asking I figured you would know since that's about all you say on here
If you have money to throw my way I'm willing to accept. 8) Anyway, I don't know if you've noticed that there isn't really any type of spam control on these forums. I don't browse here to read about Raybans or disk recovery!
When I think the spam is a little out of control, I do my best to knock it to the bottom of the page and then BUMP the " legit posters" to the top of the page. I consider it my good deed of the day for my fellow Zwollians.🙂
Ricco
Understands reinventing

Post by Ricco »

vitus.m.paxton wrote:This is something that alegedly really happened. Marvel's editor c.b.cebulski used to be a regular guest at Makarska comic fest in Croatia. Coastal city, late May, perfect way to spend some time abroad. He arranged meeting with some local artist whose been trying to break into real business for some 30 years. On his way to the meeting place c.b. was intercepted by some new comer artist who asked him to stop for a beer. And after a couple of bottles they arranged future collaboration even without seeing this guy's work. He's now one of the raising stars not only in marvel's but also dc's and dark horse's stuff:)
Oh, ok thanks for clarifying. I didn't know who Cebulski was. I went and googled him to see who he was. I haven't read any of his stories, and didn't realize he was also an editor at marvel. If this story is true, then that's very cool on his part. Thank for sharing.🙂
Last edited by Ricco on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

Post by RobertErdody »

you go ahead and keep bumping your little posters if that's what you kinds call it today
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

see heres a good story

Post by RobertErdody »

vitus.m.paxton wrote:This is something that alegedly really happened. Marvel's editor c.b.cebulski used to be a regular guest at Makarska comic fest in Croatia. Coastal city, late May, perfect way to spend some time abroad. He arranged meeting with some local artist whose been trying to break into real business for some 30 years. On his way to the meeting place c.b. was intercepted by some new comer artist who asked him to stop for a beer. And after a couple of bottles they arranged future collaboration even without seeing this guy's work. He's now one of the raising stars not only in marvel's but also dc's and dark horse's stuff:)
how many of you wish you could write a story this good but if you could well..............
RobertErdody
Consistant Poster

no would have sufficed

Post by RobertErdody »

Some of you guys really would do better at bullycon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NodMd2hhLaw