Looking for Artist to Work on a Weird Super Hero Sci-Fi Action Comic

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

basementdragon
Forum Member

Looking for Artist to Work on a Weird Super Hero Sci-Fi Action Comic

Post by basementdragon »

I don't have money to spend paying someone. I want to work with someone serious about making a comic together. I already work on a Webcomic with another artist, but because it is only about 4 panels per comic I have a lot of free time to work on other stuff. And I want to write something that's more serious than what I have been working on. Don't get me wrong. I love my webcomic. A lot! I'm very passionate about the comic industry and world. Right now we're actually seeing some financial success and selling physical comics in a local comic store in a big city. We actually almost gave up on it, but sales made it so that we felt we should continue and that we were looking at the wrong demographic. So I am experienced while also learning a lot about the comic world. I'll admit my obsession with creating far surpasses by business and marketing abilities. So if that's a skill you also have maybe we can help each other. I'm also trying to get better at all that.

I work well with others. I don't mind if you make suggestions, although I want final say on most story aspects, I'm not so egotistical that I think the artist can't add to the story and designs. Working on a webcomic with an artist, I've learned that working together is one of the best feelings. Sometimes I even think my stories are lacking by myself, but working with others they really come to life. I'm not always the most confident. But I do believe I have talents, which is why i keep pushing ahead. And with the money thing, artist and writer are both required so if by the will of the gods we made something financially successul out of something we'd definitely split the profits (though I'm sure a big chunk goes into the project and then we split whatever's left over).

The thing I want to do now is probably hitting the same demographic of people who love super hero comics and shounen manga.

Style and Vibe wise the idea I have now is sort of like Neon Genesis Evangelion meets X-Men and Dragon Ball Z. Not that I'm trying to rip off anything. The idea just has similar aspects to those things. I'd say DBZ is the only one of those that I'm an uber fan of. I love Spider-Man more than X-Men but this idea has more in common with the latter. In style I was even thinking it's a mixture of clean, beautiful hero characters, and awesome costumes and mostly fit and sexy heroes (like X-Men and old school super heroes) and sci-fi body horror punk alien sci-fi. Also good to note. I use sci-fi the way others use magic in fantasy stories. The powers and abilities might be technologically based, but I'm not the kind of writer who delves deep into why or how time travel works (not planning on time travel stories, but as an example), but a character could potentially find a time machine and use it. Same as Marvel in that way I suppose. Soft Sci-fi opposed to hard sci-fi.

Um yeah, so that's my proposal. If you've read this long and are interested give me a message.

There is also another aspect to the main character that is probably unusual that I've not seen in many American comic characters, but probably in all sorts of manga. So if you're looking for a main character that's a little different, maybe it's work discussing.
Northstar_Guardian
Forum Member

Re: Looking for Artist to Work on a Weird Super Hero Sci-Fi Action Comic

Post by Northstar_Guardian »

How's it going? Did you find any artists?
dbpguy
Frequent Poster

Post by dbpguy »

Hey, how is it that you're SELLING comics, but yet, don't have money to pay an artist? What kind of crap are you pulling?
basementdragon
Forum Member

Post by basementdragon »

Northstar_Guardian wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:03 am How's it going? Did you find any artists?
Not yet. If you're interestes though we can talk if you want.
basementdragon
Forum Member

Post by basementdragon »

dbpguy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:16 am Hey, how is it that you're SELLING comics, but yet, don't have money to pay an artist? What kind of crap are you pulling?
Well, the artist I work with made some comics for a Comic Book store in Mexico City. She made everything by hand. So theres cost of materials. They asked for more because the initial 20 sold, so we were able to sell about 120/140 comics in total by december. I think in American dollars we made about 1000. they took 40%. They're also paying her every 15 days so we havent even gotten the full payment. Everything we make goes into product. Although some of it she used for rent just so she had time to not freelance as much to have more time to work on the comic we make for free and post online plus work on making more stickers. and planning to make something more financially stable like an online store and kickstarter. We don't really have the time or means to make hundreds of books and sell them right now. I put that there as some cred, that I can write something that people like and are willing to purchase. Im not raking in tbe dough. I didnt even see a penny from what we did make.

Did you expect we were making thousands a month? Every thing i make in my day job goes to bills. And the fact we were able to sell anything gave us confidence that maybe we did have the talent and skill to do this. I'm not looking for an artist to come in and poor their soul and heart into something they dont like or believe in. If you like what I have to say and my ideas and stories I just want them to know I do work hard at making stories. It's in me. Even if i never make anything of myself writing I'm never going to stop.

But i think my online comic shows that Ive been trying hard. Right now I was looking for another projecr because she doesnt always have the time to make comics as fast as I can write them. Though things are getting busier now thay we are trying to do kickstarter and an online store its probably a month or two away from launching. I am pretty green at the business side of things. I just love to write write write. So even then I believe I will have time to write other things as well. Its a shorter comic strip its just kind of detailed. which is why the artist takes a little longer. They arent sticker figures (no offense to less detailed comics which are fine by me).