Waiting Patiently...

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Post by Zubkavich »

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking forward to contributing to the community and hopefully get some feedback on my own work as well.

After doing some research for the last few weeks, I've finally buckled down and am going to do my own web comic. It's not a humor strip, but I hope to bring people on board with a slow building story and some compelling characters. Looking at all the different strips at Keenspot and Keenspace alone, it'll be a daunting task.

Nonetheless, I registered for membership on Keenspace and am anxiously waiting for confirmation. Of course, it's going to be another few weeks until they let me know that my space is ready... hope you guys don't mind me hanging around until then.

Oh well, at least it gives me a lot of time to create material. I'm currently working on page 14 of the story and my webpage is ready to go. It'll have the web comic (of course), sketches and some tutorials on drawing and Photoshop techniques. I'll be updating new pages on it 3 times a week.

In the meantime (you knew the hype machine was coming), please check out this preview image of the first page. I hope you like what you see and are looking forward to the story.

http://www.geocities.com/zubkavich/ZUB.html

Go to the Illustrations section and click on the right image in the blue 'Newest Piece' section.

Anyways, that's all for now. :smile:
Later,
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jim Zubkavich
http://miracle.keenspace.com
SirFlakey
Forum Member

Post by SirFlakey »

That looks really nice. Once I have finished a run of my online toon (say 250 strips) I'll tackle something a little more serious as well =). Nice illustrations.
Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Post by Zubkavich »

On 2001-09-02 09:17, John2two wrote:
I read the first five pages of Makeshift Miracle (thanks for using a transparent filenaming scheme). The story looks intriguing. It's got me hooked already. And the art... wooowie! You're obviously not a beginner, even if this is your first foray into some part of the territory.
heh... nice job with the file stuff... I'd best remove those files from my webpage before everyone reads too far ahead. :smile:

I'm currently working as an animation instructor in Alberta, Canada. It's a blast teaching people about storytelling, drawing and animation.

When I was doing freelance work, I was usually involved in storyboarding. The transition from that to comics isn't too far and I've been a comic book fan for ages. Needless to say, I'm excited about the potential of having a readership on the web.
Please keep up the good work, because I want to keep enjoying what you're doing. I hope that you will put out an Amazon or PayPal tipjar (or do a regular pledge week, or whatever), because I will definitely be motivated to reward you for the pleasure.
Wow! Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence. I've seen the Paypal donation button on sites and have an account, but haven't looked into the nuts and bolts behind setting it up. Is it difficult?
Since your art is so detailed and beautiful, one thing comes to mind. The one bit of advice I'd give is not to lock yourself into an update schedule that is too ambitious. If, during the blooming excitement of the new project, you find that you can easily produce X amount of material a week, cut yourself some slack and promise X-Y to your readers. I'd rather you do a pace that is sustainable even when you get sick, or are distracted by your next new project.
Well, I'm looking at updating 3 pages a week (Mon,Wed,Fri) when the site finally starts. I've been working on it in the evenings for the last 3 weeks and am currently coloring Page 14. By the time Keenspace gets back to me, I will probably have several more done. That way, even if I only do 3 pages a week from here on, I'll still stay a month ahead of schedule and be able to update on time. I've noticed how a screwed up schedule can really hurt readership of on-line comics and I'm determined to be regular.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Jim Zubkavich
http://miracle.keenspace.com
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

Looks great! I can't wait to see things unfold...or, upload, I guess. New paradigms, new metaphors I guess.

I love your animation-influenced style. I think animators learn to do a lot more with much cleaner, economic renderings.

Very inspiring! Can't wait to see more.

Tim
wendi
Forum Member

Post by wendi »

wow. Very sharp artwork indeed! Please let us know when you get it started.