James Burns "Detached"

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

James Burns "Detached"

Post by Tim Tylor »

Much thanks for the link. :) That's a great and unsettling book, and I won't forget it in a hurry. I'm very glad indeed the problem was sorted out, and I hope his eyes stay good. The idea of blindness frightens me too.

Forty-five is hardly ancient, mind. My father learned to program in Basic at around that age, and became a right Wiz at it. (Thanks to my little brother's eccentric obsessions, some very singular learning-software came into existence.) It's twenty years younger than Mr Churchill when he took over in WWII.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to read it, that PDF file was just way to big. It would download and open just fine, but my PC would freeze up on the title page. I'm glad he found a better way of posting it online.

It was a great story. I hope this isn't going to be James Burns' only comic. I look forward to see more from him in the future.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Yeah, what I could read of it was good... but I also had trouble running the PDF. He must know what a .png is, right?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

How about a .jpg? Non-pdf web version here.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Veleno
Frequent Poster

Post by Veleno »

I also quite enjoyed reading that and am glad that everything turned out relatively good in the end.
"The way to a man's heart is through his ribcage"
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Pretty good for a first timer. :wink:

Seriously, though, I think blindness is the worst fear for any visual artist, especially if you need to wear glasses already.

My grandfather had a lot of problems with his peepers in his old age, and he was reduced to seeing only shadows near the end. For him, I think, it was like a great isolation, especailly since his hearing was almost gone, too. Even though I'm pretty nearsighted (got so bad, I started wearing contacts, rather than those thick Coke-bottles), and I know what it's like to see things in a blur, I still can't imagine what it would be like not be able to see at all. And don't any of you wisenhiemers out there tell me to "Try closing your eyes." 8)
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Try closing.... oh, sorry. :wink:
Chronosome
Regular Poster

Post by Chronosome »

I loved this comic. And found I could relate to Mr. Burns panic.

When I was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, I could barely see because of it. As someone who loves to draw and express myself visually, it felt as if I'd been castrated. Luckily, that attack receded and the only permanent eye-nerve damage I suffered from it was some nearsightedness. Which is fine for drawing. :)
-R o n A m o r i M
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

William G wrote:Try closing.... oh, sorry. :wink:
A wise guy, huh? Why I oughta...! That deserves a Moe Howard double eye-poke. "Pick out two, porcupine!" :P
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

nyuck nyuck nyuck