FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
HHmm....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART
Previous: PostNew Tech with implications for digital... Next: Postgetting this info to other countries...  
glych
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that no one else mentioned this. Frank Comier, http://framed.keenspace.com, has been doing this incredible thing called The Great Framed Excape involving over 52 seperate online comic strips. I realize that this is little more than a crossover, and doesn't change the art of effect of online comics much, but I think it shows the importance of links and communication that only the internet ca provide...I recommend reading the event from the beginning....

It's really rather interesting...

Framed!

-glych

Ray Charles is blind.
God is Ray Charles!??!

http://glych.keenspace.com

[ This Message was edited by: glych on 2001-09-06 01:29 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossovers have a pretty bad reputation in the print comics industry, as they have long been a simple sales gimmick where marketing has come before story and the fans have been burned too many times.

However, this sort of thing should be encouraged with web comics. As you correctly point out, this shows off the importance of links and communication. The World Wide Web is called such because it is a "Web" of links -- a hypertext medium, where the connections among billions of documents give the each individual document much greater value than it could have alone. I have said before that web comics need to make greater use of hypertext; cross-overs are one way to encourage that use.

It should also be noted that the web is better suited to crossovers to begin with. Since nobody is making any money in most cases, commercial concerns never supercede creative ones. Also, fans are less likely to get burned; if the crossover turns out to be worse than the regular comics (as crossovers often do in the print world), well, hey, at least the reader didn't have to buy anything extra.

-Max Leibman

[ This Message was edited by: Max Leibman on 2001-09-06 08:04 ]
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also say that webcomic crossovers are a good thing (with the caveat that they be well-done crossovers, naturally). When I was first discovering online comic strips, it was a crossover with Waiting for Bob that led me to read Bobbins (which started here).

Actually, this is a good thread to mention the open-source character Ropa, who you can see appearing in my own comic here. Ropa is the creation of my friend (and an excellent digial artist) Jim Lawrence, and may appear anywhere. Ropa's kind of like a 1970s-era American sitcom character of indeterminate ethnic origin. His tag-line of "That's Ropa!" is usually spoken by Ropa himself after doing something enormously stupid and/or silly.

I'd given some thought to creating a page explaining the Ropa concept and offering him to the public domain to see how far he circulated in the public consciousness, but haven't been extremely motivated to do so as yet.

John2two
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to the enthusiasm about crossovers in Webcomics. I am grateful to a UserFriendly crossover for leading me to Waiting for Bob. (Sniff, sniff, I wish Doug and Kat could find the energy to get back to WfB. I miss it. Kat's art is *so* damn good!)

One of the big lessons that I drew out of the current Framed Great Escape event, though, is that you really have to pay attention to the details of what time each day's strips get posted. You have to take pains with the posting and linking details. Through the first couple weeks of the Framed event, I would come to read by the dawn's early light in US-Pacific timezone, and half or more of the links to the other strips wouldn't work. The first day that over 90% of the links led to more than 404 pages, I sent Frank an champagne toast via email.

I suspect that Frank has some words of hard won wisdom to share on these practical details to the next brave soul who attempts to mount such an event.

John
damonk13
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.

The cartoonist count is more like 67 right now, i think... and more are joining everyday for a little experiment i have going on on September 20th...

(hey, if any of YOU are interested, then write to me at damonk@yahoo.com!)

As for "innovative" or "new", nahh... I just had a story to tell, and I needed the help of all my peers to tell it. Still, I think that a few things have happened and will happen in the event that certainly have never been done in webcomics before -- whether or not people will think these things to be noteworthy is another story... ^__^

I know that I *WILL* have LOTS to say about it when it's all done, that's for sure -- both good and bad!

And I hope that the links have been better, John, ever since you wrote to me... I've tried hard to always keep on top of things in that department, but it can be hard when a certain comic would be posted late one day, or not show up at all, etc...

Keeping track of a bajillion artists is not an easy task, as I have learned! O_o

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: