"Infinite Canvas" Application

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

tymmi
Regular Poster

"Infinite Canvas" Application

Post by tymmi »

A couple of months ago Scott posted a link to a new web comics authoring program for MAC called Infinite Canvas. I've created a few comics using this program,now, and have really enjoyed using it.
If you'd like to see some examples of comics made using Infinite Canvas, my comics are <a href="http://tymgodek.infinitecanvas.com/">here</a> and another comic (by someone else) can be found <a href="http://www.modernevil.com/Content/4Hour ... p">here</a>.

Anyone else tried this program out yet?
Michael_Harker
Regular Poster

Post by Michael_Harker »

I've played around with it a bit, with no notable (or existent) results.
BLOW UP THE INTERNET
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I cant seem to get it to run.
Aquarius
Forum Member

Post by Aquarius »

Michael_Harker wrote:I've played around with it a bit, with no notable (or existent) results.
What was you experience with my program. What didn't you like and what do you think needs to be improved?
William G wrote:I cant seem to get it to run.
Why doesn't it run? What Operating System are you using? Could you please send me the Crash Log. It's in YOUR_HOME_DIR/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/InfiniteCanvas.crash.log

Thank you for you feedback!
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

It's pretty effective. :) Tree City USA is having some trouble loading, though - the first time I tried it, some panels were missing or incomplete.
Aquarius
Forum Member

Post by Aquarius »

Tim Tylor wrote:... some panels were missing or incomplete.
Interesting bug. It shouldn't start displaying the comic if there were loading problems. Did the problem persist after reloading the website?
BuckBeaver
Frequent Poster

Post by BuckBeaver »

Will there be a port to Windows or Linux of this application?
Check out my NEW blog - PuppetVision
Retro-style puppet film and video goodness, delivered fresh to your computer each day!
Aquarius
Forum Member

Post by Aquarius »

BuckBeaver wrote:Will there be a port to Windows or Linux of this application?
To be honest: I don't know - perhaps some time in the future :-/
Michael_Harker
Regular Poster

Post by Michael_Harker »

I only played with it a little, as I said. I'll try again if I ever have free time, but right now I wouldn't be able to give you worthwhile feedback, Aquairus.
BLOW UP THE INTERNET
tymmi
Regular Poster

Post by tymmi »

Hey!

Scott linked to one of my comics today.
Pretty cool. Thanks Scott.

Don't forget the other one, <a href="http://tymgodek.infinitecanvas.com/infi ... .html">the Infinite Gag Strip</a>.
(sorry, i'm just really proud of this one)

Aquarius has really done a bang up job on this app. I am fairly low-tech and I had no problem learning and using the program. I'd just like to see what other people can do with it too.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

tymmi wrote:Hey!

Scott linked to one of my comics today.
Pretty cool. Thanks Scott.

Don't forget the other one, <a href="http://tymgodek.infinitecanvas.com/infi ... .html">the Infinite Gag Strip</a>.
(sorry, i'm just really proud of this one)

Aquarius has really done a bang up job on this app. I am fairly low-tech and I had no problem learning and using the program. I'd just like to see what other people can do with it too.
Ienjoyed both of your comics alot. The Infinite Gag Strip was pretty clever, and I definately wouldn't mind reading the rest of Tree City USA. I think that the infinite canvas application worked really well for the infinite gag strip, but reading Tree City USA was slightly frustrating because of the way the program slowed down my reading experience. It felt like when you're reading from the same book as someone else and you have to wait until they are done to turn the page.
tymmi
Regular Poster

Post by tymmi »

I think that the infinite canvas application worked really well for the infinite gag strip, but reading Tree City USA was slightly frustrating because of the way the program slowed down my reading experience. It felt like when you're reading from the same book as someone else and you have to wait until they are done to turn the page.
Yeah, I can see your point, Kris. Tree City was originally designed and drawn as a print comic. I just really wanted to try the program out and that's what was on my drawing board at the time.
There are definitely some interesting differences in the reading experience of print comics versus web comics (of this type, at least). Something to keep in mind.

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate the feedback.
Aquarius
Forum Member

Post by Aquarius »

Interesting point. Do you think speeding up the transitions could improve the reading experience or do you think using transitions is the wrong approach to online comics?
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Aquarius wrote:Interesting point. Do you think speeding up the transitions could improve the reading experience or do you think using transitions is the wrong approach to online comics?
I think the option of using transitions is an interesting one. For example in Tree City USA where the construction noises interrupt the phone call it works really well, but one the whole taking away my control over my reading experience takes away an important aspect of comics. Perhaps there is a way to return some of that control. Maybe making the viewing window bigger so i can read ahead of the trasitions, or a way to drag the next panel into view at my own pace (of course that dragging would get tedious), and another option might be a control for the reader to speed up or slow down the panel transitions acorrding to their own tastes.
ShadowCaster
Frequent Poster

Post by ShadowCaster »

I think both readers and writers should feel in control.
With classic comics, the writer controls the shape of pannels, somehow controlling the relative time feeling that give the pannels.
The reader reads at his own rythm and can stop or speed up if he wants and so has control over real time reading. This seems a good objective to reach.

To achieve this with IC, I think the writer should be able to specify relative time of transitions while the reader should be able to set the transition time unit.
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

Aquarius wrote:
Tim Tylor wrote:... some panels were missing or incomplete.
Interesting bug. It shouldn't start displaying the comic if there were loading problems. Did the problem persist after reloading the website?
Sorry to be slow replying. I've been out of computer range this week.

The problem's varied. The first time I saw the comic, reloading seemed to clear the problem up. Trying again today, there are a number of incomplete panels and reloading isn't helping, even after clearing the browser cache to make sure it reloads completely. The second panel ("there's just so much...") is blank white except for the top part; the fourth, ninth and tenth panels are black in the lower half; the juddering 10th panel is grey in the lower half. Everything else looks as it should. I've tried in both Firefox and Internet Explorer 6th, and it seems to be the same in both of them.
Aquarius
Forum Member

Post by Aquarius »

Thank you for your input. I don't want to give the user too much control. This would complicate the user interface and don't want to take the reader's focus from the comic to the interface. The reader should be confronted with a simple and easy to use interface. I think an option to control the speed of the transition would complicate the ui and confuse the reader.

I think I'll double the speed of the transition (the author is still able to select from 5 speed settings) and the reader will be able to skip or speed-up the transition with a simple mouse-click - I'm not sure what would be the best. I hope this resolves this issue. :)

Besides the Navigation Frames, there is also a view mode called Free Navigation. Here the user controls the canvas with mouse drags or with a QuickTime-like navigation. Both navigation types aren't perfect and there is still an issue with the infinity of the canvas. Users can get lost easily. Perhaps I'll add some kind of bounds!? :-/
Aquarius
Forum Member

Post by Aquarius »

The problem's varied. The first time I saw the comic, reloading seemed to clear the problem up. Trying again today, there are a number of incomplete panels and reloading isn't helping, even after clearing the browser cache to make sure it reloads completely. The second panel ("there's just so much...") is blank white except for the top part; the fourth, ninth and tenth panels are black in the lower half; the juddering 10th panel is grey in the lower half. Everything else looks as it should. I've tried in both Firefox and Internet Explorer 6th, and it seems to be the same in both of them.
Thank you for the detailed report! I think this is a bug in the java framework. Updating your java plugin should resolve the problem. But in case this is a problem with my implementation I'll take a close look at my drawing classes.
tymmi
Regular Poster

Post by tymmi »

here's a nice use of the IC program by Ryan Estrada. It's a previously made comic he reformatted to the app. Good way to try it out for yourself.
His home page says that he's trying out some original stuff for the app, too. Can't wait to see it.
tymmi
Regular Poster

Post by tymmi »

And an orginal IC comic by Ryan Estrada. This one is a spectacular demonstration of the storytelling possibilities of the program. Bridging a gap between comics and animation.

I'm so jealous.
Aquarius
Forum Member

Post by Aquarius »

tymmi wrote:And an orginal IC comic by Ryan Estrada. This one is a spectacular demonstration of the storytelling possibilities of the program. Bridging a gap between comics and animation.

I'm so jealous.
Thank you for posting the links to the comics. I'm really proud that you two created such wonderful comics with my application. This is what keeps me motivated to continue development.

Markus :)

PS: I released a beta version of InfiniteCanvas 1.1 today. Everybody who wants to help me beta test my app is welcome to download this beta version.