FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
What's a good test for a possible artist?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Seeking Comics Artists/Writers
Previous: PostHong Kong comics artist required Next: PostWhere else to look for an artist?  
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: What's a good test for a possible artist? Reply with quote

I am already starting to get artists inquiring with me to do the work for my webcomic. I have a specific style I want the webcomic done in (see below link for it) and want to see if the artist can draw in that style. Given this, what would be a reasonable test?

My thought is emailing all inquiring artists the same photograph(s) and one rough draft storyboard page and asking them to convert them into the desired style. I could then compare them against each other for who is closest to what I'm envisioning for the webcomic. To get ones that are more than just photocopy machines, perhaps asking them to put the person in the photograph(s) into a different position with a different background than what's pictured in the photograph(s). Does this all sound like a good idea and a reasonable request? Suggestions and constructive criticisms much appreciated!

As for the artistic style sought, it is the top illustration (man looking into crystal ball) at this webpage: http://www.dominic-deegan.com/fanart.html
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

Tim Mallos' Comics and Stuff
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*laugh*

Or are you serious?
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, no, not serious.

Just knew I was keeping the art test brochure in my desk drawer for a reason...

T

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Seems like a valid art test to me.
William G
Reinvents understanding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Mallos wrote:

Tim

Has anyone ever considered sending a ten page comic into them using these characters and asking if they passed?
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William G wrote:
Tim Mallos wrote:

Tim

Has anyone ever considered sending a ten page comic into them using these characters and asking if they passed?

Dammit! That's just what I need one more comic idea floating around in my head that I'll never get to!
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard about their exhaustive screening process, you have already passed.

Which is cool, really. Too many people telling folks they can't draw.

Tim

Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did fail Charles Schulz.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don' t know- Did they fail Schulz? I've been reading a book of interviews with Schulz and I know that they hired him to work at the art school he took courses from. I don't remember him failing prior to that. Could be my memory, though.

Edit: If this link works, he doesn't say that the art school failed him, so I'm going to trust my memory and say that he didn't.
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Stephens wrote:
I don' t know- Did they fail Schulz? I've been reading a book of interviews with Schulz and I know that they hired him to work at the art school he took courses from. I don't remember him failing prior to that. Could be my memory, though.

Edit: If this link works, he doesn't say that the art school failed him, so I'm going to trust my memory and say that he didn't.

I remember him stating it in interviews on television. It was meant to encourage people to pursue their dreams and never let any single person brow-beat you from pursuing them. I'll see if I can find a transcript of one on the net.
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've spent the last half hour Google searching for it and no results. Oh well. They say the mind's the first thing to go. I just wish it has left a forwarding address.
ThisBloke
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Hmming and hawwing Reply with quote

Well, fairly obviously, each artists portfolio of existing work (which they should be able/willing to send you image files of) should give you an idea of who you should bother talking to. If you're left with a difficult, close call after this, well lucky you, but possibly then you could ask them to do a main character design from your notes/script.

I'd hesitate about asking them to do an entire page - as is clear, artists have by far the balance of power, unless you're willing to pay for even this - as the amount of time and effort to put into something that may not get them the could be off-putting.

That said, I've never had the situtation so maybe just asking if they'd mind would be fine.
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmming and hawwing Reply with quote

ThisBloke wrote:
Well, fairly obviously, each artists portfolio of existing work (which they should be able/willing to send you image files of) should give you an idea of who you should bother talking to. If you're left with a difficult, close call after this, well lucky you, but possibly then you could ask them to do a main character design from your notes/script.

I'd hesitate about asking them to do an entire page - as is clear, artists have by far the balance of power, unless you're willing to pay for even this - as the amount of time and effort to put into something that may not get them the could be off-putting.

That said, I've never had the situtation so maybe just asking if they'd mind would be fine.

Sorry, when I mean a page I actually mean a panel ... since that's what each webpage will contain. However, I understand your point. If it's a close call between two or more, I'll offer to pay each to do the conversion of the two photographs and storyboard panel into the desired artistic style. I'll make changes to the job listing to reflect this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Seeking Comics Artists/Writers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: