Torn between two artistic styles.

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

Torn between two artistic styles.

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Here are the two styles:

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/fanart.html (man looking into crystal ball)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14017188/ (female portrait)

I am launching a webcomic where I will be commissioning artists to do the artwork for it. They'll be provided the script and storyboard sketches. The webcomic is sci fi that is light on technology for the most part (though there will be a spaceship-like vehicle) and heavy on nature settings and human anatomy (most characters will be nude).

The first one (crystal ball) would seem to lend itself to more detailed drawings and the second one to a softer look, especially for human figures.

I'm assuming the second one (female portrait) would take more time to do thus cost more for an artist to do and take longer for them to get the panels done. Or would they both take about the same amount of time?

I like both styles, but will use only one for the webcomic. Thoughts on this matter appreciated.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

My advice is to not worry too much about how long it takes the artist to draw, and also don't pay them by the hour. Pay them by the page, or panel, or the project... Figure out how much you are willing to pay, and try to get the best artist for your project and your money.

As for how long your examples took, it's impossible to say. The second one could be drawn in 10 minutes, if the artist was confident and didn't encounter any difficult things to draw. Or it could have been worked on for hours. Or it could be the best attempt out of many (and you don't see the others..)

If you visit my website you'll see drawings that took somewhere around an hour (if that) and coloring that usually takes two (it surprises the hell out of me, every time.) The reason is that I make many attempts at coloring, and usually only draw something once.
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Sorry if I over-emphasized cost and production time. They're actually quite minor and I agree with all your points. My main concern and why I posted this thread is...

Which style would be best for the intended purpose as stated. I'm very torn between the two and I do need to make a decision between them.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

Well, in that case, I like the second style better. It's an unusual style for a webcomic, and that's a good thing, IMO.
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
collegepros
Forum Member

Post by collegepros »

the second style works for portraits, but I don't know how it would work for everything else that a comic needs. It might end up looking childish or sloppy. especialy if the comic remains in black and white. the way to avoid this is by having detailed backgrounds, so the characters seem distint. however, I would still reccomend you us the first style. i'm not a fan of smudgy shading
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

collegepros wrote:the second style works for portraits, but I don't know how it would work for everything else that a comic needs.
What else does a comic need that it couldn't do?
It might end up looking childish or sloppy. especialy if the comic remains in black and white.
I plan to hire artists to do the artwork for the webcomic and would only hire one(s) that can pull off whichever style I pick.
the way to avoid this is by having detailed backgrounds, so the characters seem distint.
Hmmm. I could see that looking off though. Soft for characters and crisp/harsh for background. Are you recommending the crystal ball style for background and the portrait style for characters?
however, I would still reccomend you us the first style. i'm not a fan of smudgy shading
For any other reason that the ones you've already given?