Comics as Catharsis

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

Hi gang.
I thought I'd throw up a link to some comics I've been doing. My work environment is depressing (10 rounds of lay-offs since January of this year). It appeals to my passive-aggressive streak to turn my job into a comic, so I did. The site is bare-bones, just a place to post some things I've been playing with. I don't know how often I'll add a strip or single panel cartoon, but thought I'd share.

Anyway, feedback (positive, constructive, or derisive :wink: ) is welcome.

<A TARGET="new" HREF="http://www.fifthdigit.com/comics/">Comics Catharsis</A> <P>
Thanks!
Tim

<I>Fixed Link</I>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim Mallos on 2001-10-09 09:54 ]</font>
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

I like 'em!

I'm working in a fairly tech-heavy brokerage company, so we've been doubly hit over the last year or so. Still, I've hung on (more like "flown under the radar") so far.

I especially liked the strip where the main character wishes his employer were as good as Dilbert. Excellent way of stating just how crappy his workplace is.

Also, the exec. who's cutting jobs on the second page reminds me of the Monopoly guy -- it's a nice touch if it was on purpose, and an interesting coincidence if not.

Max Leibman
<a href="mailto:comicmetaphysic@yahoo.com">comicmetaphysic@yahoo.com</a>

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/comicmetaphysi ... iderata</a> - Comic and associated strangeness posted daily.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Max Leibman on 2001-10-09 10:40 ]</font>
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

i like em too! it's good to see more work from you, tim!
keep it up, man!

have you thought about color? how about maybe making the site a weekly or three times a week site and trying to drum up a readership, etc. you're good enough, that's for sure! and in doing it, you'll only get better.

speaking of which, i'll be posting a redesign of magicinkwell.com next monday. there will be a stripped down archive (to leave room for the new comics) and some upcoming goodies. are there any in particular you guys want to me include for sure? let me know.

forgive me for turning my response in to an inadvertant plug..... :wink:

cayetano
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Very nice! I sympathize greatly with the 'comics as catharsis' for finding inspiration.

Each day I print out a comic that I run across and pin it up outside my office for co-workers to see. Today's is the Dilbert-referencing "I wish I worked there." Thanks!
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

Thanks for checking it out!

Max: Yeah, I meant to do that. It kind of just happened while I was penciling, but I made chages to go more that direction once I saw it.

cat: I'm too slow and too unhappy with my coloring right now. I'm really working to improve all of my anatomy, penciling, inking, and color skills preparing for a big project. These strips are sort of like "popcorn" - 2 hours start to post kind of things. I'm likely to be included in the next round of layoffs. That plus a major bathroom remodeling job and wonderful wife and 15 mo old daughter makes it tough to keep any updating promises. Some day I hope!

Greg: Having something of mine hung on a wall somewhere other than my livingroom is a great honor. I thank you!

T
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

Well gang, I'm off to a meeting where I will be informed that I am part of the 40% staff reduction at Commerce One.
A "Reduction in Force" it is termed here (RIF).

A couple new strips up in honor of the pending event @ <A target="new" HREF="http://www.fifthdigit.com/comics">www.f ... /comics</A>.

I'll have more time in the next week or two to make better navigation so you don't have to click through each page to get to the new stuff. :wink:

T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim Mallos on 2001-10-15 08:34 ]</font>