12 Hour Comics Day

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

William G
Reinvents understanding

12 Hour Comics Day

Post by William G »

After reading the 24 Hour Comics Day announcement in Scott's blog, I got inspired.

See April 23 is my birthday, and what better time to treat myself AND celebrate the event by going through with my exhausting, challenging, and quite possibly deadly 12 Hour Comics Challenge!?

There's no better time, I say!

So look for further announcements as I forget and remember this...
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

That's the spirit, William. I look forward to harassing you the day before our (US time) 24 Hour Comic Day :wink:.

Why does 24 Hour Comic Day have to be scheduled for the weekend? Why not Wednesday and Thursday? Besides it seems like Illinois doesn't like comics, nowhere here is hosting the event. Anybody near Chicago know of a place that is unofficially hosting?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Being twelve hours ahead of you all means that I'd be done before it even started....

OOOOOOOOO! QUANTUM!

Of course, there's a chance that I may have to postpone it due to happy birthday sex, in which case it's too damned bad for everyone...else.
RyanE
Regular Poster

Post by RyanE »

Rock on William, Rock on.

Ryan
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

RyanE wrote:Rock on William
Like a hurricane
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

efm wrote:Why does 24 Hour Comic Day have to be scheduled for the weekend? Why not Wednesday and Thursday? Besides it seems like Illinois doesn't like comics, nowhere here is hosting the event. Anybody near Chicago know of a place that is unofficially hosting?
I don't see New York on the list, either. Who the hell wants to shlepp to Jersey? And why do they always schedule it on a day that I have tickets to a ballgame?
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Michael_Harker
Regular Poster

Post by Michael_Harker »

Dangit guys. Guess what. I'ma do a 24 Hour Comic. About 10 - 20 people will be joining me. This Weekend. Starting Tomorrow at noon.

Wooohooo...
BLOW UP THE INTERNET
NatGertler
Regular Poster

Post by NatGertler »

Please realize, we're continuing to add new sites to the list all the time. In fact, I have reason to believe that within the next two weeks, we'll add one of the cities mentioned here. And, of course, you can celebrate 24 Hour Comics Day at home or with friends.

But if you want a store near you to host an event, the best thing you can do is tell the store manager that, and give them the www.24hourcomics.com address for finding more information about hosting one.

(We added Belgrade to the list the other day. Serbia!)
Bezman
Forum Member

Re: 12 Hour Comics Day

Post by Bezman »

So what exactly is this challenge? Making the same number of pages/panels, but just in 12 hours?

In any case, best of luck with it.

*does a quick commemorative dance
NatGertler
Regular Poster

Post by NatGertler »

We have now indeed added New York City to the list of places with 24 Hour Comics Day event sites. Head over to www.24HourComics.com to check out the current list!
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Bezman wrote:So what exactly is this challenge? Making the same number of pages/panels, but just in 12 hours?

In any case, best of luck with it.

*does a quick commemorative dance
I'm just being facetious. Normally it's 24 Hours Comics Day where artists kill themselves by seeing if they can produce a 24 page comic in 24 hours straight. From scratch. No prep time.

I cant remember if the regular 24 hour comic day is done for chairity or not, but it might be a good idea if it isnt.

My 12 hour comic day idea came from the fact that the 23rd is my birthday, and as a joke response to Ryan Estrada's 72 hour comic challenege. Which he did and then he went to help clean up after the asian Tsunami last year. Which shows that he is a super human cyborg from the future.

Alas, I'm just a man with many failings and decided to do a 12 hour version.
NatGertler
Regular Poster

Post by NatGertler »

Some of the individual 24 Hour Comics Day event sites do raise money for charity by charging the cartoonists who participate. However, most hosts prefer not to charge.

There really isn't a way for there to be a central charity, because there is no money flowing from the event to 24 Hour Comics central. We end up plugging money into the event, for the creative festival it is.
Bezman
Forum Member

Post by Bezman »

William G wrote:a post 2 above this one
Coolio.

Best of luck. It'll be fun to do and a good way to celebrate the day if you don't feel like the 24-hour version.

Have fun, whether it's doing that, or your b-day sex. ;-)
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I'm hoping for the birthday sex.

Drawing comics is just what comes naturally when sex doesnt arrive. :wink:
Michael_Harker
Regular Poster

Post by Michael_Harker »

William G wrote:Drawing comics is just what comes naturally when sex doesnt arrive.
Now that's quotable!
BLOW UP THE INTERNET
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Stick it in your sig. I like it when people do that.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Okay, I'm going to have to push it back a week or two. I got a tonne of stuff to do this weekend , but I will go through with the 12 hour day sometime soon...ish.

AND THEN THE WORLD SHALL TREMBLE!

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I totally forgot to write about my brief meeting with Ryan a few weeks ago before he left Korea to go help with the tsunami cleanup.

Stand-up guy. Great hair. He gave me a copy of his Cartoon Coup book and I gotta say that nothing he wrote about Korea is abnormal.
Ian Jay
Forum Member

Post by Ian Jay »

This is probably smarter than the twenty-four hour comic. A twelve-hour comic is safer on the body and mind than a twenty-four hour comic. Though those who do 12s may be labeled as wimps by those who do 24s.

The state where I live had no 24HC events either. What's up with that?

~IJ
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I'm not worried about being labled a wimp because I know that I can take them out with my deadly ninja skillz.

And I'm doing it this Sunday, starting at the crack of sometime after noon. Rumour has it that I will be having none other than Ryan Estrada doing one at the same time.

Comics that shall rule the world.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I failed to make the time limit... :cry:
Bezman
Forum Member

Post by Bezman »

William G wrote:I failed to make the time limit... :cry:
Ah well. Don't worry.

Hopefully you'll have made an enjoyable read at least?

Is it gonna be put online for us to read?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Ooops, a link would help, wouldnt it?

http://www.thepersonunderthestairs.com/~billomite/

Ryan Estrada mentioned that he wanted to do one at the same time as me, but then he vanished into thin air. He mentioned something to me about going to Kuala Lumpur, so maybe he was eaten by a tropical plant.
Bezman
Forum Member

Post by Bezman »

William G wrote:Ooops, a link would help, wouldnt it?

http://www.thepersonunderthestairs.com/~billomite/

Ryan Estrada mentioned that he wanted to do one at the same time as me, but then he vanished into thin air. He mentioned something to me about going to Kuala Lumpur, so maybe he was eaten by a tropical plant.
I enjoyed it. The basic premise made me grin.

Maybe you could take the next step and do a 6 hour comic? Then a 3-hour one. It could be like Ryan's 'year of training' but in reverse.

Then next year you'd do the 12 hour comic and manage it.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

I seem to remember years ago reading a science fiction story called "Galateia Gallant" (can't remeber who wrote it). It was also about a guy who creates an artificial woman. However, after that, the story was entirely different from what Bill presents in his comic.

BTW, if you Google the name Galateia (I was trying to find the name of the author of that sci-fi story - unsuccessfully), you'll find this
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)