12 Hour Comics Day

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Bez: Having met Ryan, I've already realized that I am his evil mirror universe twin, so you may have a good idea there.

Rip: The story name sounds familar to me as well, but that's about it. Calling her Galateia seemed like a no-brainer given the subject matter. But I got to say that the site you found is pretty kick-ass.
RyanE
Regular Poster

Post by RyanE »

Hello,
I'm not dead!
What did I do for 12 hour comic day? I did a 12 page road comic. The rules are a lil different. It's 12 pages long, and I spent 12 hours or less on it, but I was visiting Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, and drew what was going on as it happened.
Yee-haw.
Here ya go.

http://ryanestrada.com/kl/
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I deem it to be entertaining
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Hey, Ryan. Is that little ditty you're singing in your comic sung to the tune of "Hotel California"? :wink:
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
RyanE
Regular Poster

Post by RyanE »

No sir, there was quite enough Hotel California that day without me getting into it. I heard it 3 times the evening of the karaoke bust. And tonight is the "Phi-Phi Idol" karaoke contest here in Thailand, so I expect I'll hear it a few times tonight.

Ryan
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Gees, after a few renditions of "Hotel California", the crowd at the karaoke bar must need some No-Doze slipped into thier drinks. The key to karaoke is to get the crowd hopping. I find "Smoke On The Water", "Born To Be Wild", "Rock And Roll All Nite" (are not KISS gods in the Far East?), or "Freebird" gets em' all going. Or, if you're adventurous, you can do like a friend a mine, and attempt to do Tom Jones's "Delilah".
Yers Troolee wrote:I seem to remember years ago reading a science fiction story called "Galateia Gallant" (can't remeber who wrote it). It was also about a guy who creates an artificial woman. However, after that, the story was entirely different from what Bill presents in his comic.
William G wrote:The story name sounds familar to me as well, but that's about it.
You know, this has been racking my brain for the last couple of weeks. I knew where I read the stroy. It was in a anthology book of short sci-fi fiction I bought years ago. It had several stories I enjoyed. I had remebered what the cover looked like, but only had a vauge memory of what the title might be. I searched here at the Sky-Palace high and low to find the book, but to no avail (though I did come to the conclusion that I've got to clean up this damn mess). But I refused to give up. After peeling back the layers of my warped mind, and some extensive hit and miss Googling...EUREKA!!! I done did finded it!

The name of the story was called "Galatea Galante, The Perfect Popsy" by Alfred Bester (before he became a Level 12 Psi-cop who looked a lot like Pavel Chekov's evil twin), and the book I read it in (which I still can't find) was called The Best Science Fiction of the Year # 9.

I still don't remember much about the story, except some scientist creates an artificial women, which if memory serves me correct, spoke in musical notes, and the whole the affair ends in utter disastor.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
ccs1989
Forum Member

Post by ccs1989 »

That's a nice idea. I'm always interested in the idea of 24 hour comics, but I probably couldn't handel it. So 12 hours would be the next best thing. I wonder how many pages I could put out in 12 hours?