When Nerds Attack

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

When Nerds Attack

Post by Greg Stephens »

Didn't take long for Penny-Arcade's response to Scott McCloud's reply to Penny-Arcade's comment on the webcomics documentary that everybody's talking about. I think we're seeing a clear escalation of rhetoric taking place. Sometimes, some rant that is posted on somebody's website can be quickly forgotten. Looks like it isn't the case this time.

Even so, it feels eerily familiar.

Weirder things are afoot, however, as Scott Kurtz (no permalink for news item) attempts to provide the voice of reason. What is this, the Bizarro World?
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Nifty Niftarius
Forum Member

Hiding behind masks

Post by Nifty Niftarius »

I couldn't help but notice that McCloud picked a picture that doesn't look like the one on the documentary that his likeness in the comic is probably based on... I consider the PA strip picture a real good likeness taking that pic from the trailer into account. And the pic of John is pretty close too.

Nice try, Scott. Deliberately choose a pic that looks different from what your likeness is based on and use that to 'prove' that you don't hide behind a 'mask' and others do.
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
www.realmofnifty.blogspot.com
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Lessee... a fifteen year old avatar that at least looked something like the guy when he drew it, vs. two avatars that have never looked like their counter parts at any time.

Yeah, I can see the hypocricy... :roll:
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

All's well that ends well. Checking Scott's blog this morning, he's decided to remove his reply to the P-A thing. I think it's a good move.
Fortunato
Frequent Poster

Post by Fortunato »

I only have one thing to say about this, and honestly, I'm deeply surprised that no one else has said it.

Despite what everyone seems to think, as a popular phenomenon and technologically, the internet is still very young.

This means that by and large, its constituents are very young. Young and have no job, and sincerely believe that they are entitled to all the amazing things the internet can offer them. Key word there: YOUNG. Haven't ever had to pay their own bills, or manage money, or buy things for themselves.

True, the people who are succeeding on the web are not young, but they are all (and I do mean all) trailblazing through an as-yet-unmarked forest. I just want to know how anybody can have the cojones to claim that their way is the right way, and I applaud Scott for seeing to it that as many ways get tried as possible. But as I say, once people have to start feeding themselves then I imagine attitudes will shift.

Geeze, I typed a few all caps words. I'm so ashamed of myself for losing my temper, sorry everyone.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Following a link from Websnark:

Webcartoonist vs Webcartoonist: The Tabloid!

It was bound to happen sooner or later.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Think this was overly... young... try bringing up these sort of topics with Keenspacers. Aside from Ghastly, the hostility they pump out towards the "art" side of comics makes Tycho's rant look like an invitation to tea.

and I hope whoever made the tabloid keeps up with it... and manages to stay funny.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

William G wrote:...and I hope whoever made the tabloid keeps up with it... and manages to stay funny.
Are you sure?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

:D That was pretty damned funny.

Thing is, after I told Hard to get stuffed, I havent been back. Hardly a battle.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

William, based on your track record you could supply content to that site indefinitely.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Well, you know. The important ones always had a hard time of it: Galileo, Ghandi, Jesus, Snoop Dogg...
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Scott linked to this today from his blog, but the other Scott (Kurtz) did a pretty funny comic out of the whole thing.
Fortunato
Frequent Poster

Post by Fortunato »

William G wrote:Well, you know. The important ones always had a hard time of it: Galileo, Ghandi, Jesus, Snoop Dogg...
With his mind on their money, and their money on his mind...
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

On the Goats thing on Comixpedia...

Did I read a totally different "Reinventing Comics" from the t-shirt salesmen crowd? Did they get the "Micropayments Only!" special edition?