FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
RSS Feed for Morning Improv?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv
Previous: PostWhat it feels like to be Superman Next: PostComics Lab  
lalato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: RSS Feed for Morning Improv? Reply with quote

Howdy folks...
is there an RSS Feed for Morning Improv? If so, what's the URL?

Thanks,
--sam
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, use Atom! If Google likes it, it must be good!

Google: the ultimate grey-hat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Christopher Lundgren
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell are you people talking about?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSS is a cool internet tool for keeping up to date with blog or news sites that offer it. There's a slightly technical outline here which may help answer your question. If not, then I'll explain a little bit now:

An RSS feed is an XML file (no, you don't need to know what that is) that a blog or news site might create automatically when it's updated. As a reader, you need an RSS aggregator, which is a program that reads RSS XML files and presents them to you. It will, say, once an hour, scan all the RSS feeds you've selected and then you see short summaries of the articles, posts or whatever dynamic, updating content that the site contains, including links to the site to see the full items. The advantage is, you see when the sites update, what the content might be, and all that information for several sites is in one, small, convenient application (the aggregator) that doesn't have to download all the graphics, scripts and bells and whistles of a webpage. This about the Morning Improv- How many times a day do you hit the site before Scott updates it? Maybe a couple. Each time you do visit the site, do you know if a panel has been posted or not? No. With an RSS feed and an aggregtor, the aggregator would update when Scott's site updates (within an hour, anyhow) and then you'd know you could click on over and view the panel.

The raw XML in your browser doesn't look very user-friendly, but the aggregator makes sense of it all just like your browser makes sense of HTML and Javascript.

Comixpedia's blog has a feed.

Penny-Arcade has one too.

If Scott were to use one, it might contain summaries of his Morning Im-Blog news posts and notices of when each new MI panel is posted. Of course, since Scott doesn't use any sort of automated CMS (content management system), he'd have to code it by hand, but some people do theirs by hand. (That page even includes a link to this tutorial about how to hand-code an XML feed, which also includes another plain-English language description of RSS, how it works and how to use it.)

Atom, I've not heard of before this, but it's something similar. Granted, I don't know anything about Atom or how well-propogated it is, but I'm willing to bet that RSS becomes the accepted standard.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As luck would have it, an article about the Coming RSS Revolution.

(No. It will not be televised. But it will be blogged and syndicated.)
lalato
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Greg. The links were great, too.

Here's to hoping Scott reads this thread and decides on an RSS feed. It would definitely be nice to get his posts automagically...

--sam
lalato
Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... just a friendly bump to see if this is at all a possibility.

--sam
lalato
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a bump... or is it?

Actually, I'm still wondering if Scott is thinking about RSS for the MI page. I mean... I already check it fairly regularly anyway, but RSS would make it even more accessible to folks out there in that nebulous thing known as "the internets".

--sam
colin
Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, especially after using safari rss in tiger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DOOM2099
Regular Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make it work for me. I am so stupid. I am not LE37. I am teh sukc. Stupid modern technology, where's Joe Rogan when I need im?
________
Dc Medical Marijuana Dispensary
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: