why is webcomic text so small?

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Phlip
Frequent Poster

why is webcomic text so small?

Post by Phlip »

webcomixers:

When I try to enjoy well-reviewed comix like this...

http://www.magicinkwell.com/strip10.html

...I can't read it.

To compete with print media, the comic shrinks down to the size that would fit in a magazine. The kind with sharp printing, not pixels.

My monitor uses very small pixels. Text fonts get bigger, but fonts in graphic images can't easily scale.

The text fuzzes out, with dithering pushing all the letters together.

Why do so many webcomix have this problem?
Joel Fagin
Regular Poster

Post by Joel Fagin »

Possibly because the creator can read it. Of course, the creator already knows what it says so it's a lot easier for him/her. It's like reading your own handwriting.

Oh, wait. It is reading your own handwriting.

Well, you know what I mean.

Actually, I could read it but it is borderline. It's very cramped.

- Joel Fagin
ragtag
Consistant Poster

Post by ragtag »

Mail him about it. His e-mail is at the bottom of the stip, and it's possible to read too. :)

There is no reason why he can't make it bigger, at least around 750pixels wide. The lowest resolution you can expect people to have on their computers today is 800x600, and most likely at least 1024x768 or greater.

Ragnar
Phlip
Frequent Poster

Post by Phlip »

ragtag wrote:Mail him about it. His e-mail is at the bottom of the stip, and it's possible to read too. :) Ragnar
I could. (I hesitate, in this reducing environment, to let anyone think they have more than one fan!;)

Micro text is a recurring problem across many webcomics, hence the generic question. We are not on paper, so we don't need to impersonate Dilbert or the original Ninja Turtles.

And if a dialog balloon has too much verbiage...
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

it's something that even the best web-cartoonists out there don't seem to be thinking of...

i saw a cool comic once where the text got bigger when you moved your mouse over it.
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Screen resolution has a lot to do with it.. as well as what it was originally intended for.

That comic of Cat's looks like it was either done originally for print, or done a while ago on a lower resolution monitor than what's commonly used now. Given that it's copyrighted 1998, I'd say it's the second. I've never had any problem reading his newer stuff.

Also, if you have a high rez monitor yourself, things will seem pretty small.
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

William G wrote:That comic of Cat's looks like it was either done originally for print, or done a while ago on a lower resolution monitor than what's commonly used now. Given that it's copyrighted 1998, I'd say it's the second. I've never had any problem reading his newer stuff.
Wouldn't working in lower res encourage larger, clearer text rather than smaller?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

My assumption would be that on 800x600 or whatever it was, that was large clear text. So, you know, back then a 500px image would take up most of the screen, but today it's smallish. I assume someone at 1600x 1200 sees nothing but a tiny blur.

Of course, that is hand-lettered text. So it's a bit cramped regardless.
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

Post by Neil Cohn »

Along these lines, I've been wondering lately what webcomic and print comic font sizes generally are? I've been working on a fairly serious book and right now have the font at 10pt, and it just seems inappropriately huge for the tone, while that size on my cartoony book seems fine. Thoughts?
www.emaki.net - Studying the Language of "comics"
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

the "standard size" for print is 6 pt, according to "DIGITAL PREPRESS FOR COMIC BOOKS"

but that can differ with different font styles...

I like to go a little bigger than that for print stuff, and WAY bigger for online stuff.

but it's all relative.
just play around with different sizes and see what looks best for whatever medium you're working with...
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

Post by Neil Cohn »

gazorenzoku wrote:the "standard size" for print is 6 pt
Good lord, 6pt? That's tiny! I'm amazed to hear that (though perhaps it varies depending on the font, and whether you're using all caps like in traditional comics). I do agree though, best to eyeball it and see what looks right.
www.emaki.net - Studying the Language of "comics"
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

Neil Cohn wrote:
gazorenzoku wrote:the "standard size" for print is 6 pt
Good lord, 6pt? That's tiny! I'm amazed to hear that (though perhaps it varies depending on the font, and whether you're using all caps like in traditional comics). I do agree though, best to eyeball it and see what looks right.
yeah... who knows what font is being used for that "standard"....

i usually go with around 7 or 8 for print comics

haven't done any web comics in a while, but i imagine 9 or 10 might be appropriate....
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Whenever I do anything for the web, whether it be a comic or an HTML page, I prefer to use a decent sized, ledgible text, because I just assume everybody is as blind as I am.
gazorenzoku wrote:i saw a cool comic once where the text got bigger when you moved your mouse over it.
You mean something like this? :wink: (Actually, you have to click to enlarge the balloons, but it's basically the same idea.)
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)