American "alternative comics" make news in Japan

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

I just found a special edition magazine called "Studio Voice" with a feature on American comics here in Sapporo City, Japan (where I live).

The cover is a big splash of one of Jim Woodring's "Frank" illustrations, so you know it's gotta be good right away.

I have yet to scour it thorougly, but just flipping through the pages I noticed samples of art work and comics from none other than 8-Ball, The Watchmen, Frank, Optic Nerve, and a whole lot of other cool stuff. The title of the article is "American Alternative Comics". I really look forward to reading later...

Glad to see some media focus on experimental stuff here.

vince

p.s. I originally included a long rant about my opinion on Japanese comics and what not in this message, but took it out cause it seemed to much like whining. Not to mention being a repeat of an earlier post that I made last week or so.

I hope to get the time to anylize the current comics situation here more academically and put information up on my site about it for people who are interested... There is a lot of positive stuff going on here as well.

("gazorenzoku" = "image sequence" in Japanese)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gazorenzoku on 2001-12-11 16:27 ]</font>