How do you find this idea?

Collaborative comics. Entertaining games and exercises for comic authors organized around various themes.

Moderator: Moderators

spiderweb
Frequent Poster

How do you find this idea?

Post by spiderweb »

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of starting a comic jam on my website. I thought of this idea. Please tell me what do you think?

Firstly, a sequence of keywords are randomly generated
(maybe randomly flipping thru the dictionary and take the first word that i see).
For example, the keywords can be
TV, rain, bookmark... etc

Based on the sequence of keywords, the first artist will take the first keyword(eg. TV) and draw a comic panel based on this keyword.

The next artist that comes in will get the second keyword(eg. rain) to create another panel related to this keyword and that can link to the story of the first panel.

There will be 10 keywords per set of comic strips. We can even generate a few sets of keywords so that more people could join in.

So, how do you find this idea? Is it workable? Will you be interested enough to participate?

spiderweb

________
Genetically modified food
Last edited by spiderweb on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Sounds like an interesting approach to me.

You say randomly picked, but you're three examples are all nouns. Would it be just nouns, or adjectives and verbs and adverbs and proper names and such?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

One way to suggest words would be to reference something like Dictionary.com's Word of the Day. Not strictly random, but good words, daily, and you have no control over what words are selected.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

By far the hardest thing about running a jam of any kind is getting people to submit. You pretty much have to do it in a place where lots of interested people already are, and the only such place on the internet I can think of is this forum.

But we already have a comics jam going, and perhaps running more then one would eat away at both of them. Maybe it would help, though, I dunno.

Greg?
<a href="Http://CastleZZT.net/">House of Stairs</a>
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Jam Mechanics

Post by Tailsteak »

I like the idea of a story based on dictionary.com's word of the day, perhaps as a tribute to the site itself. How coherent would you want it to be?
Bob Stevenson
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Stevenson »

I don't think we should wait to start another jam. I just spent too much time trying to figure out what happened towards the end of the last one. I thought I'd throw something together to put it to rest but a couple of the cards wouldn't load. most importantly the three of hearts. I have no idea where the story is. I'm ready for a word and I like the dictionary.com idea.

Today's word is logorrhea - excessive talkativeness or wordiness. That should be right up someone's alley. Can we start it? Anymore rules we should get out of the way first?

Bob Stevenson
Journeyintohistory.com
damonk13
Frequent Poster

Post by damonk13 »

yeah, unfortunately, Keenspace is currently down again, so the Three of Hearts won't load up at the moment... silly Keenspace.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I found Damonk's card in my cache, uploaded it to my site and changed the link in his post to point to my site's images directory. The three of hearts shouldn't be vanishing anytime soon.

As to other jams, I would really like to see if we can have this one come to some sort of conclusion before starting another one. The idea of when it actually is over is sort of up in the air, but we'll see. I've actually thought about making a new forum here just for jams, but I don't want to have too much going on at one time. I think it's better to keep (at least the pretense of) some sort of focus.

On the other hand, does anybody think that having multiple jams going at once would be more interesting?
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

The only real value I can see to having multiple jams going would be if they had very different goals. And by this I mean having one jam that's the usual free-for-all, while also having a jam that's intended to produce a serious collaborative story -- in other words, a story free from non-sequitors. While the non-sequitors can certainly be funny, they can also be lethal to a serious effort, and I suspect they contribute to people losing interest in participating.
spiderweb
Frequent Poster

When do you want to start this comic jam?

Post by spiderweb »

I think using the dictionary.com to obtain the keyword is very interesting and fun! :)
So when do you guys want to start?

For your information, i thought of this idea as a proposal for my media art module at a university in Singapore, in which i have to showcase my website on the 19th of April.

If you are interested, I have uploaded my art proposal here. Please feel free to take a look.

Doc version:
http://www.geocities.com/beensprouts/co ... oposal.doc

HTML version:
http://www.geocities.com/beensprouts/co ... oposal.htm

Hope to make it a successful one :)

spiderweb

________
Herbalaire vaporizer
Last edited by spiderweb on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

As it's your project, it starts when you say it does. You should lay out the rules for things like how people should contribute, who should contribute and how often and you'll need to work hard to spread the word. (We can only do so much in this one forum! :wink: ) If you have a URL where you will be running this from- let us know! If you would like to start a thread here dedicated to it, let me know.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

The Jam is now in this thread:

http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378