Why internet forums are good:

Discuss the Zwol comic. (Random yammering also allowed.)

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

It's the small victories that make you feel good about life.

Yesterday, a friend informs me that one of my car's rear brake-lights is out. "No big deal," I think, "I've replaced brake lights before." Well, not in this car, I haven't, as I quickly discover when I open the trunk and check to see how to get at 'em. In my old car it was pretty easy to see how, but this car is eleven years newer and all smooth and carpeted in the trunk and I'm not sure how to do it without breaking anything. I can't see any screws, and I don't want to just start pulling at stuff.

So I go to the manual and, in the (very short) section detailing changing brake light bulbs, it says something like "Your dealer will have all the proper tools and parts, so you should let them do this." This is turning into one of those "How many people does it take to change a light bulb?" jokes. "No Big Deal," thinks I, once again, "I'll find the answer in a book. I'll get one ASAP."

Well, sitting here, linke to the WWW, I decide to see if I can find the answer out there in the digital garden of knowledge. Starting with a Google search, I work through a very short series of sites until I find one with a discussion forum that has a subforum specifically for the model & year of my car with LOTS of activity. A quick search of that forum leads me to a likely post that links to a site with photos that, while not being about something as simple as changing the bulb, do show me how to get at the bulb!

Turns out, there's velcro behind the carpeting and I won't tear or break anything by simply pulling at the panel.

Good to know. :smile:
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
shadefell
Regular Poster

Post by shadefell »

i <3 the internet for just that reason.