Parallelograms Revenge

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Otterbein

Parallelograms Revenge

Post by Otterbein »

I honestly think this is an homage to the book "The Dot & the Line", so lovingly adapted to film by the great, late, Chuck Jones. The parallelogram has expressed his love to the circle, telling that they should spend the rest of their days together, raise a family and ultimately end up buried aside one another. The circle with no mincing of words has told him to drop dead. And the drama continues...

Great work on all of your M.I. submissions, Scott.
Byron Pennyworth

Post by Byron Pennyworth »

Holy shit, Chuck Jones died. :(

I didn't know. When was this?
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Chuck Jones

Post by losttoy »

"HOLLYWOOD, February 22, 2002 ? Chuck Jones, legendary animation director and artist, best known for his work on the Warner Bros. classic Looney Tunes cartoon series, died today of congestive heart failure. Marian, his wife of 20 years, was by his side at their home in Corona del Mar."
For the rest of the press release, see: http://www.chuckjones.com/press_release/
bgztl
Forum Member

Re: Parallelograms Revenge

Post by bgztl »

Anonymous wrote:I honestly think this is an homage to the book "The Dot & the Line", so lovingly adapted to film by the great, late, Chuck Jones. The parallelogram has expressed his love to the circle, telling that they should spend the rest of their days together, raise a family and ultimately end up buried aside one another. The circle with no mincing of words has told him to drop dead. And the drama continues...

Great work on all of your M.I. submissions, Scott.
Otterbein,

I just posted something similar in the other thread before I saw your post. I'd love to know what you thought of it.

To me, McCloud's story is almost a "reply" to the simplicity of The Dot and the Line. Using more complex geometric concepts with a more "solid" appearance almost seems to fix the high-flown romance of Jester's book into "real" life. The cynical ending almost seems a cynic's comment on romantic love.

But I wonder if the idea of "forever" is the down fall of the circle's worldview. Maybe she/he should have planned more for the moment and taken steps to preserve what was really important to him/her.

Saying something is meant to last forever and making it so are different things.
Bgztl a/k/a Jack Holt
carine
Forum Member

Re: Parallelograms Revenge

Post by carine »

bgztl wrote: But I wonder if the idea of "forever" is the down fall of the circle's worldview. Maybe she/he should have planned more for the moment and taken steps to preserve what was really important to him/her.

Saying something is meant to last forever and making it so are different things.
I like this observation very much, because it addresses the sad tone of the narrative. This tone is apparent irrespective of the characters' race/gender. While these aspects have given rise to an enormous debate, and a very interesting one at that, I still think it remarkable that with a couple of simple narrative "strokes" Scott has communicated a feeling of loss, fantasy (in the psychoanalytic sense) and desire.