FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
A different definition for comics
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART
Previous: PostComicsML Next: PostTesting  
John2two
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I'm gonna throw you a curve here and start replying to a thread you haven't yet moved over from ezBoard. Hope it doesn't cause you too much extra effort.

Edit: The original thread, begun by Lyle, is now found in the archives here.

Lyle, I think your Flash, one-panel-at-a-time presentation bears a relationship to McCloud's definition analogous to a paper comic book that has a single panel on each page. Yes, they are all comics. Yet they are both comics that are constrained in a way that works against the use of graphic dimension to connote time.

All that means to me is that by choosing to present in the way you have, you have opened up some options for yourself and simultaneously closed off some other options. It's a tradeoff.

Another analogy would be to the tradeoff between B&W and color. Each alternative brings its own advantages and limitations. But B&W comics are not less comicy than color comics.

[ This Message was edited by: John2two on 2001-04-29 10:07 ]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: