new idea

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

biggs
Forum Member

Post by biggs »

you asked for other ideas about the oh so clever idea of charging a few cents for comics and/or songs.

Great idea, but you need a mechanism other than a credit card to actualize the transaction. It is just to hard to type in all that info for something that costs only $.25 or less. It needs to be easy.
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

Actually, that's a commonly cited feature that <I>true</I> micropayments will have when they do appear: transparency.

A viable micropayment system would have to involve as little user overhead as possible, i.e. you would enter information only once, and that same information would be used every time you make a micropayment transaction.

The transaction itself would be as simple as clicking YES or NO in a pop-up that warns you when a micropayment is about to be charged, rather than filling out the form over and over again. You could still use a credit card, but the credit card would probably just be charged once a month or so for the total aggregate amount you've spent on micros, and you certainly wouldn't fill in all the info each time.

That's the thing about micropayments: it's not just the amount of money that's small -- the amount of effort involved must also be proportinately "micro," or people aren't going to bite.

Peace out,

Max Leibman

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Max Leibman on 2001-06-21 09:22 ]</font>
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Exactly.

Still mulling over that idea of opening an account with a PayPal dollar... Talk about low risk!