Morrie Dugan?

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Morrie Dugan?

Post by Greg Stephens »

Made-up name or some reference I'm not getting?
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Made-up. Sounded to me like some guy who got into the game in the '30s (note apostrophe placement, gang).
Lemon Aid
Forum Member

Post by Lemon Aid »

It sounded like a play-on of "Doug Waldron", the name of the person who suggested the title of the strip, to me...
Everywhere, and nowhere at all.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Hm. Since U.B. seems to be in the style of just about every gag-a-day newspaper comic strip, I was hoping that "Morrie Dugan" might have been an anagram for "mined our rag"....
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
buzzard
Frequent Poster

Post by buzzard »

mind our rage
Rip Tanion

Post by Rip Tanion »

Morrie Dugan is a "honky" psuedonym for vaudeville performer Moishe Lechuk, and was taken from Officer Dugan, the cop who walked a beat on his street, growing up on the Lower East Side. He and my grandfather once had an act in the Yiddish theater circuit know as "Moishe un Maishic", aka "Milchas un Fleyshiks". When they crossed over to English speaking audiences, they became known "Morrie and Murray". They had a falling out one night opening for the Ritz Brothers, and they never worked together again.

Morrie died at the age 92, in his sleep, at his retirement cottage, in Boca Raton, FL.