Does anybody else miss Carl?

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Josiah Rowe
Regular Poster

Does anybody else miss Carl?

Post by Josiah Rowe »

Don't get me wrong. I love MI. And I'm sure that the variability of MI is more artistically rewarding for Scott than the... er... two-dimensionality of Carl. But I miss the interactivity and the semi-competitive nature of Choose Your Own Carl. It was so much fun trying to decide what might happen to poor Carl next. Scott, do you have any plans to revive Carl, or is the old panel finally true:

Post by Guest »

I agree, bring back Carl! Who doesn't like reading about a strange 2 dimensional being who runs entirely on impulse?
More Carl!

Jonny
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Or...

Post by Tim Mallos »

"Son of Carl" perhaps. Or Carlita.

Tim
Doc MacDougal
Frequent Poster

Post by Doc MacDougal »

No question in my mind that it should be "Night of the Living Carl." This time around, every thread begins with the tombstone panel.
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Night of the Living Carl

Post by Tailsteak »

....and, perhaps, he could inevitably wind up alive....
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Cool! I love it! Has anybody made it a sugestion for Morning Improv yet?
Scott, the fans have spooken. :P
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

I dunno, one of the best things about Carl was the sense of real closure at the end of the comic. If he comes back from the dead, it kind of violates the integrity of that, and what's to say he won't stay dead THIS TIME, either?

Still, "Night of the Living Carl" is a pretty catchy name.
GlenSS

I loved Carl

Post by GlenSS »

Reading the suggestions for the new Carl panel was one of the high points of my week!

Apparently, I need to get a life... and stop fooling around at work.

- Glen
GlenSS

Carl's stuff

Post by GlenSS »

I just realized what I want.

I want a Carl t-shirt! Maybe the original panels on it.

Perhaps Scott could set up a cafepress account...
Shifttoprow

Re: Carl's stuff

Post by Shifttoprow »

Anonymous wrote:I want a Carl t-shirt! Maybe the original panels on it.

Perhaps Scott could set up a cafepress account...
That would be socool! I second the motion! Mr. McCloud, I'm begging you!
nihon
Forum Member

Re: Carl's stuff

Post by nihon »

Anonymous wrote:I just realized what I want.

I want a Carl t-shirt!
Well, listen what. My girlfriend just read Parallelogram's Revenge and she says she wants to print it on a t-shirt...
Is it legal if you do it on ONE t-shirt and in your home instead of producing a lot in a factory?
Or, more important: Scott, do you mind it?

GG
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Is it legal if you do it on ONE t-shirt and in your home instead of producing a lot in a factory?
Or, more important: Scott, do you mind it?
Go for it!

As for offering T-Shirts and mugs on the site, I've long intended it. Just a matter of finding the spare time.
NatGertler
Regular Poster

One-Armed Carl

Post by NatGertler »

Of course, those needing a quick Carl fix can always turn to One-Armed Carl for millions of possible randomly-generated Carl tales!

(And Scott: if you need any help setting up the shirt'n'mug shop, just let me know.)
Matthias
Forum Member

Post by Matthias »

I think I suggested a Carl poster whilst it was still running... now that WOULD kick a$$... it would have to have the purple background tho :)

Why has it taken me so long to find this forum???
Go bye bye.
watchitman
Forum Member

Too bad

Post by watchitman »

The poster idea is cool, too bad there doesn't seem to be any room for real, tactile objects made out of paper and things in this brave new world of web comics.

Yeah yeah, I know - I'm trolling. ;)
MrBlarney

Create your own carl... in reverse!

Post by MrBlarney »

No, If you start with the tombstone, you could create Carl's life CyoC style, but only in reverse.
Anonymous Coward

Sure, everyone likes Carl, but...

Post by Anonymous Coward »

Both points of view have been made, but the question "What works for you, Scott?" hasn't been brought up.

While the comedy on TMI has been tasty, I'm stuck on just how much fan service is at work here. It can't all be dark-humor and pop-culture bashing. Many thought "When Luna Smiles" was a timely and enjoyable change in lanes.

From Scott's book, "... like those chocolate oreo cream pies." -- "but who wants to eat pies every day for the rest of their life?" (I'm butchering the heck out of this, but my books are all packed up in boxes at the moment)

I'm willing to bet Scott is getting some interesting impressions for how a daily publication, funded by tips, changes in content on the internet as it gains readers, but it this isn't that far of a cry from Carl.

Wasn't Scott McCloud that superhero guy?