Webcomic art styles: Old school vs New school

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

TheDeeMan
Reinvents understanding

Webcomic art styles: Old school vs New school

Post by TheDeeMan »

We've been having this conversation over at Comixpedia and I wondered what you guys thought.

Alright, it all began after my partner Monique and updated our webcomic GAAK with the latest new page. A reader wrote a comment that was one of those things that just make you go, "Hmm?":

"...I said it before and I'll say it again cuz I haven't seen this comic in a while. But this is pure brilliance missed out b a lot of people by the old school style. The sad thing is that you're like 100 times better than popular artists out there, but it's not flashy or anime cuteness..."

It just made me wonder, if clothes make the man, do art styles make the webcomic? Do you as webcomic readers read the webcomics you do more because of the art style that it's drawn in? Do you think in the wake of the growing anime/manga juggernaut that "old school" webcomics like GAAK and others suffer from a lack of flash?

Just wondering out loud.

Dee

GAAK
www.drunkduck.com/GAAK
HIT GIRLZ. It's like "Mean Girls" meets "Pulp Fiction".
http://www.xcelsioronline.com
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Crap eventually gets recognized for what it is, as does quality.

However, the rest of it's meaningless if you have any love for the medium at all. Genre and art tradition should not be a factor in regards to the quality of the work. I admit that it does matter to some, but quite honestly I see that as simply fanboyism in action: Change scares them. They'd put their entire lives in a mylar bag if they could.

Miller's Daredevil run will always be considered top stuff by people who appreciate comics, as will Barefoot Gen and Atomu, as will Asterix and Tintin.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Style doesn't matter. Readability matters. I don't care if it's Manga-like, Kurby-like, Miller-like, or Underground, if you can't figure out what the hell is going on panel to panel you're not going to read it. The artwork is the first think the eye is going to see. I don't care how well written something is, if you can't stand to look at it, you're not going to read it. And what is readable is up to each person. This will never change. Your never going to render a drawing that everyone is going to like. My brother for example doesn't care for the works of Will Eisner, Crumb or anything else remotely cartoonish. Gasp! What is wrong with him? Well, he only likes the crisp superhero look of the early 90s. When he goes into a comic shop he heads strait to the Image section. I on the other hand head over to the indie corner. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has there own taste. Of course some styles are going to become more popular than others. That's just the market expanding. Give it a while, the next big comics will be from France or Portugal.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Eric F Myers wrote: When he goes into a comic shop he heads strait to the Image section... There's nothing wrong with that.
The Gods of good taste disagree!

I'm just kidding. Since the "big names" are no longer polluting the company with their crap-fests, Image has ben putting out some good stuff.
DOOM2099
Regular Poster

Re: Webcomic art styles: Old school vs New school

Post by DOOM2099 »

TheDeeMan wrote:
It just made me wonder, if clothes make the man, do art styles make the webcomic? Do you as webcomic readers read the webcomics you do more because of the art style that it's drawn in?

YES! I hate manga/anime. You know why? They are all hacks. It doesn't take any talent to draw round heads and big eyes. It takes a lot of skill to draw accurately proportioned figures that are anatomically correct (traditional line art).

The massive surge in anime reflects the lackadaisical work ethic of the current generation. You see a million shows on TV using anime because you can make a million shows of anime in the time it takes to make one REAL show of even Superfriends quality (or lack thereof).

Anime/Manga is just a sign of pure laziness.

Although, back in the day, wayyyy back when we called it ''Japanimation'' (remember that word?) it was actually done pretty well (Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell, Akira etc etc), but the ''style'' has become a by-the-numbers round head big eyes speed lines mess. And it's a real shame, because the art form once held promise, IMHO. Seriously, Ghost in the Shell was very pretty. Unlike the current crop of crap.
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA
Last edited by DOOM2099 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizensha
Forum Member

Post by Gizensha »

The crap has always been part of manga and anime, the editors were just pickier about what to translate before. Also there still is very high quality manga/anime but like in all medias there always is lots of poor quality works made for every high quality work.
Chanimnya
Regular Poster

Post by Chanimnya »

As for the original question, old school or new school, it's always better to come up with your own style without strictly adhering to one school of art. That way your art stands out and you help with the evolution of the arts.
Cartoonisst UK
Regular Poster

Post by Cartoonisst UK »

For me

With single panel gag cartoons - the art doesn't matter as long as it's funny.

But for comics the art is VERY important.

The pictures tell the story and the more fabulous the pictures the more enjoyable to whole reading experience is.
Cartoonist and Illustrator with a warped sense of humour
http://www.funkykiss-design.com
shadesofkin
Forum Member

Post by shadesofkin »

Make your own style, but old school should have everyone's respect; it's often the hint of amazing skill on the artists part.
FireGhost
Forum Member

Post by FireGhost »

I still consider old school art as the original craft. I do appreciate modern ones, newly released mangas however I noticed that people seem to lack the creativity nowadays and a lot of work I see looks like a rehash story or animation of somebody else from the past.