Zen Dating

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Yes, it is an abrupt stop sometimes, but sketched versions may not- probably don't- exist at that time and I find the "last updated" box to be quite helpful. The thing is, once the comic's finished, it's not a concern.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

I know some people who find default table borders ugly in any setting, possibly because it reminds them of something they didn't like. It's just a completely normal beveled border, I see nothing wrong with it myself.

I think I prefer having the "last updated" box be a different style from the panels, having it in the same kind of box would be sort of an unclean break.
<a href="Http://CastleZZT.net/">House of Stairs</a>
nathan P.

Zen Dating

Post by nathan P. »

The dynamics of this comic are what I like. The man an woman start out in the same general state, Somewhat blas'e about the whole movie thing. However, it's when the guy makes the dumb movie suggestion that you see that his intentions weren't all about movies to begin with, and we get a glimpse of communication shut down.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

The gal is a real pain in the ass, and the guy is a plain old putz. He doesn't even get a good-bye peck on the cheek. Unfortunatetly, I've had similar dates myself.

That narration in that last panel sounded more like it came from a french chef, not a Zen master.

And they never played parcheesi. :cry:
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Now that Z.D. is complete, is it really the most depressing Improv yet or is it just me?
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Credendo
Forum Member

See I told you so

Post by Credendo »

It really was about my dating life! In all seriousness though I enjoyed the simplistic style and Hikuish (Yes I know it's probably not a word, but its late and I'm tired,) style of writing. I would have liked to have seen it be a bit shorter and to the point, no offense just think that for a zen comic strip the bare minimum of frames should have been used. All in all a cool strip though. Good Job Scott!! err Mr. McCloud... hey what are we supposed to call you anyways?

Credendo

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Please, call me "Scott!"

If my generation can call Will Eisner "Will," anyone over the age of 6 shouldn't have to call me "Mr." Anything.
nihon
Forum Member

Re: See I told you so

Post by nihon »

Credendo wrote:I would have liked to have seen it be a bit shorter and to the point, no offense just think that for a zen comic strip the bare minimum of frames should have been used.
Remember Scott's UC... Japanese apply their culture in comics by inserting void (or something like that) in the narration. That doesn't mean they cut off panels... in fact their comics are much longer than anyone's.
GG
Nathan P.

Zen Dating

Post by Nathan P. »

Realize that the title did not suggest Japanese comics. It suggested Zen and simplicity. Please don't get me started on the difference between modern Japanese pop culture and the greater classical Japanese cultural heritage.

Re: Zen Dating

Post by Guest »

Nathan P. wrote:Realize that the title did not suggest Japanese comics. It suggested Zen and simplicity. Please don't get me started on the difference between modern Japanese pop culture and the greater classical Japanese cultural heritage.
Ach, but the classical Japanese heritage shapes modern Japanese pop culture, neh? ;)

Much like how classical western cultures like the Roman and Greek cultures influence modern society, if not modern pop culture...

(Actually, they do. Note the similarity between a certain space opera and the ideas of Greek philosophers about how theatre performances should be played).
Nathan P.

Pop culture

Post by Nathan P. »

Pop culture started as classical culture, but unlike classical culture pop culture changes as rapidly as the emotions and views of the mobs of entertainment needy hordes change. The idea of culture is the passing down of knowledge, tradition, ideas, etc. Pop culture can pass them down, but just as often as not, pop culture is tossed into the breaze by those who absolutely loved the Beach Boys one week and now can't get over N Synch. Pop culture is a fickle and shallow thing. Classical cultures may have been seen to be stagnant in comparison, but their connections to tradition were strong enough to make much longer cultural impacts through their stability. Wow, I sound really old.
nihon
Forum Member

Post by nihon »

Pop cultures are shallow, but the way they are stands on the culture of a given society.
Both Beach Boys and N Synch have their base on the music that developed from Middle Age trobadors, sacred music and the following composers, then mixing in the late '800 with oriental tones, and shaking all together with african sounds in the XX century. Everything coming from a culture before.
Again, remember UC to understand how zen influences every japanese comic from 50s Tezuka's to 90s Inoue's... you can't part "japanese" from "zen",
GG