Open-source comic characters

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Nick Douglas
Regular Poster

Sharing

Post by Nick Douglas »

Hmph. I rather thought sharing characters would be a boon to extremely new artists (e.g. myself) who wish to build creative contacts. I see a different sharing than that of DC or Marvel; since the characters would be rather new, they could be adapted beautifully, and likely conflict in different creators' eyes. I mean, it's not like all the Greek gods know who birthed them, what they're gods of, or what they ate for breakfast this morning, for Pete's sake. They're the product of storytelling through many voices.

I'd love to find that someone completely reinterpreted my characters in a way that I can't stand. It's releasing -- as long as no one cares that these characters are fluid.

Kind of an eastern way of thinking (or am I puffing it up now?), having more "concepts" than solid characters. Anyway, if it were done between writers with no huge monetary hopes for said characters, I'd wanna jump in. Of course, if some big exec was telling me what characters I must include and how, I'd run for the nearest exit.

Then again, I'm not even big enough to get pushed around by an exec. :roll:
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Nick Douglas wrote:
having more "concepts" than solid characters
A little bit like the Jack Ryan character? (You know: the one Harrison Ford plays in the movies derived from... forgot the name of the writer... :oops: )

Now that would be an interesting concept i could live with...

...and an interesting approach to the "Hero" principle: different pasts, different jobs, but still something so unique in its features that it becomes something of an archetypal figure :D

Say... like the archetypal serial killer, each time with a different story, and perhaps a different death... Alternative realities, but without the hassle of the crossing universes, unless a writer wants to!

Or the archetypal bad-ass cop, with the same bar he goes to, ... but a different life altogether aside from his job!

(makes you wonder what happens to the bond-girls or the indiana Jones-girls between two movies: who dumps who? :wink: )

Could be very interesting because every artist could write his own stories without interference or having to take care of loads of other comics (some of which may be drawn at the same moment on the other side of the states), but it still provides a clue to the reader as to what kind of story to expect!

But unlike what Greg Stephens wrote:
like characters may be used so long as they aren't altered from the creator's original version, not killed or humiliated, arenlt used in more than a maximum of two issues running, etc.
... i hope some of them are allowed to be killed!

Heroes coming to their end in different ways (or surviving!) can add a little spice to some characters: you could suddenly focus on a second, less important character to finish the story! ...or you can imagine some weird twist in the tale to jumble a few preconceived ideas about how a "hero" story has to be told!!! :D :D :D
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

could be lots of fun!

Post by gazorenzoku »

I kind of like that idea about including objects and such in a crossover. The one thing I can't do is make a special comic devoted to someone else's character, ideas, etc. I am way too busy with my own comic right now. But it occured to me that I could feature stuff like characters, objects, etc. from other people in my current work without loosing any time at all. In fact, it would be great.

So, what I propose is that we start suggesting items, characters, settings, etc., that we want to use in our own story and people can use them in their own stories as well.

Since none of us are weighted down by corporate rules and regulations, we ought to be able to have a lot of fun doing this. Instead of thinking "mainstream crossover", we should treat it like a creative feast.

I don't have any good ideas right now, but I will think up some stuff later.....

vince
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

I'm starting a new topic called OPEN SOURCE UNIVERSES where everyone can post their ideas of universes that anyone can use as a setting for their comics. Other possibilities can be added by starting new topics (and calling them "open source ...", but I won't start these other topics because I have actually only some ideas for open source universes, and not for open source characters or objects or whatnots :wink:

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
invinible
Forum Member

Re: As for an actual character:

Post by invinible »

Nick Douglas wrote:So, if I have a character, Samuel Nash, the venture capitalist who invests in exciting and quirky businesses, wanted to be a farmer when he was a kid, and would be extremely loyal to a girlfriend, though this goes unproven -- if I offered him up, I could exact some terms, eh? Like no one else gets to give him a date, no one can make major changes in his life... or would this be counterproductive and a bit too restrictive?

I am offering Sam Nash to anyone, thus I'll use him as my example here... how cut-and-dried would this be, legally? Could it work informally?

Anyway, can we set up a forum for free, extremely open characters until (with hope) something a bit protected can be arranged? How about subplots as well? Really, I've been envisioning a complete network of beginning comics creators, for the usual selfish motive -- I can write, but I can't draw. :oops: I'd love to set up logistics, if anyone could code...

{n} decaf@poetic.com
Would I be pushing it with putting that character in my future fighting game which information is currently located here: http://www.smartpunters.com/3dattics using this character bio:

Character: Samuel Nash
Brief Description: The venture capitalist who invests in exciting and quirky businesses, but wanted to be a farmer when he was a kid. Would be extremely loyal to a girlfriend, though this goes unproven as he hasn't gone on any dates as far as most people know. Rejection nullifies anything assosiated with an attack and forces the opponent to both get slightly knocked back and take slight damage. Investment doesn't require a player to enter the copied move's, hyper move's, or super move's usual require button combination; however; the copied move, hyper move, or super move is lose once used or no longer fighting the opponent rather between rounds (even with the same opponent) or defeated, plus doesn't work against Destiny.
Reason for entering tournament: To exchange his life of a capitalist to a life of a farmer.
Moves: Flash Money - taunt, taunt, taunt
Hire Assissient – stage must have characters other than opponent, get close to non-opponent character, face non-opponent character, taunt
Make Deal (lowers damage done by moves, hyper moves, and super moves) – grab with right hand/arm, taunt, throw with right hand/arm
Counter Attack – get hit, taunt
Give Opponent Free Shot – block + switch to crawl mode
Free Shot – opponent must take his/her/hir/its free shot, must still be fighting opponent, any attack
Exchange Items – must be holding item + opponent must be holding item, get close to opponent, slightly towards opponent + taunt
Daydream (may or may not do anything) – hold duck, taunt, release duck
Prevent Opponent's Move – get close to opponent, slightly towards opponent + block as opponent is attempting a move
Second Wind (causes no damage but lets you keep going) – taunt as about to fall down to the ground from being attacked
Paperwork – grab with right hand/arm, taunt, right hand/arm attack
Signature - grab with righ hand/arm, right hand/arm attack, taunt
Renew Contract – grab with left hand/arm + grab with right hand/arm, throw with left hand/arm + throw with right hand/arm, taunt
Hyper Moves: Lawsuit – opponent must be directly attacking, taunt + throw with left hand/arm + throw with right hand/arm
Investment – opponent must be doing a move or hyper move or super move you want to use later, taunt, pause/menu + grab with left hand/arm + grab with right hand/arm, use control pad to select amount of time to pass before automaticly using the copied move, pause/menu to unpause
Super Moves: Rejection – opponent's move or hyper move or super move must be physical, jump backwards + taunt + left hand/arm attack + right hand/arm attack + left foot/leg attack + right foot/leg attack
Farming Dream – taunt, taunt, grab with left hand/arm + throw with right hand/arm, slightly forward + grab with right hand/arm + throw with left hand/arm + left foot/leg attack
Most likely victory quote: Just cause I wear a suit doesn't mean I can't fight.