Whether "Robots love to dance" is Comics

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Re: Comics

Post by Greg Stephens »

nyarlathotep wrote:Though right now I want to kvetch on how zwol's accesibility -- you're supposed to describe what the smileys are using the alt-tags, people... not file-names. For shame.
True enough! But to be clear, the people responsible for that design would be the programmers and designers at http://www.phpbb.com who created this forum software. Though I can fix that, I'll not be doing it immediately, since I plan to upgrade the forum in the near-ish future and I'd have to do the work all over again. But I'll keep it in mind for when I do.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Nathan P.

to nayarlathotep

Post by Nathan P. »

I made no such assumption that one could not understand a comic containing animation without its animation. I specifically mentioned that it should be readable with the exception of when a frame of animation was unreadable. You do make a point in that the entire animation may be unnecessary for a comic, but if they are, there is little point in having them. I was making no reference to any computer action of turning off any mechanism whatsoever in the watching of an animation at a particular moment. I was speaking of the fact that a photograph of an animation would show a single frame of it. I am not a computer programmer, but I know how animation works. Please do not go on about how there are different forms of interlacing and frames, because I'm not interested. I am still under the impression that comics do not contain animation, but there can be combinations of animation and comics.
Here's a new question. If lentillations are considered animation, are holograms animation. Would holograms lie within or outside of comics?
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Here's a new question. If lentillations are considered animation, are holograms animation. Would holograms lie within or outside of comics?
Well, according to one of the other threads, a hologram is not a comic because a hologram only captures one time and one place. A series of holograms could be a comic, but not an animation since the animating is done on by the viewer, like normal comics but with less imagination. One could argue that changing perspective on a hologram is the same as changing perspective on a comic panel; it's just that most people don't examine comics from different perspectives.

<geek>Transmission or reflection hologram?</geek>