A teensy suggestion...

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

T Campbell

A teensy suggestion...

Post by T Campbell »

I know the idea is to take one of these titles and just sorta see where it takes you, Scott... but I'd really like to see a nonfiction-based "Improv" at some point...
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Hmm ... a "non-fiction improv" A kind of story which is a real life story where he would have to do a bunch of research and such ... I doubt that the screenplay for Pearl Harbor was written in an hour as an improv. That sounds like tricky business there. It would not be very improv since the events have already written the story and if McCloud was not accerate he might fall into heavy criticizm. The only way I could see this being done is if it was an auto-biographic short story ... which still would not quite flex his creative writting mussles. Perhaps a better suggest is to have an improv story that is more realistic than monkeys, shapes, superheroes, or otherworld typestories.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Non-fiction doesn't mean historical. It could be a non-fiction story based on something in his own life or experience. It could be something of a more scholastic nature.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
T Campbell

Further Thoughts

Post by T Campbell »

Do the rules of the Improv mean that NO research whatsoever must be done for said story? When I look up a few facts on Google and cobble something out of them, it still feels pretty "improvisational" to me.

But it's not like I invented the format...
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

I think research (or, at least, drawing on known info from past research) would probably be allowed -- remember, while the narrative was fictional, lots of (I'm assuming) factual information and educational content made it into "Flap Those Flagella Like You Mean It!"
Peace out,

Max Leibman

Desiderata - Go. Read. Critique.
Merlin
Frequent Poster

Post by Merlin »

Wait a minute, you mean Man Eating Shoes wasn't a true story?

Heh.

It's odd, but to me When Luna Smiles had a kind of non-fiction vibe. It felt like a poetic acount of something that had really happend. Does that make sense?