FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
Why do comics authors like monkeys so much? Goto page Previous  1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv
Previous: PostMcCloudites! Next: PostWell, Scott, since YOU brought it up...  
picturepack

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: 2281 titles Reply with quote

By the way, in case anyone is curious, there've been 2281 title suggestions so far!

dang-- you ought to publish the list, or a comic that involves all the entries..?
Mutt
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Narrator? Reply with quote

I'm not the only one whose dreams have voice-overs? Neat...
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Weird too? Reply with quote

When I was in the midst of my video production hey-day I had credits run at the end of a dream.

Freaked me out.

Tim
ifwhenpress

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Monkey for nuthin Reply with quote

I think that monkeys and robots are like the catch-alls for cartoonists. We identify with them for their similarities to humans, but they are more endearing than human characters for some reason. Unfortunately, some cartoonists think they can make a bad comic good by throwing in a robot or a monkey (often seen in web-comics with 'clever' subheadings ala: "It's like Clerks on Crack....with a monkey" or "An all lesbian version of Citizen Kane...with a robot!"

My comic (www.timmyandratchet.com) already has a robot in it, so I can't be one to talk, but I am going out of my way to leave monkeys out for the time being. There are some comics with great uses of monkeys, but I honestly think that they are often used as a crutch to hide a lack of imagination.

I take myself way too seriously,

Michael Patrick

PS I know why Scott has yet to use any of mys posts- they're all bad puns and titles that I just had to get out of my head (Like "Lady Chaterly's Hovercraft", or "Bonfire of the Manatees")
Better left untouched
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Monkey for nuthin Reply with quote

Michael Patrick wrote:
There are some comics with great uses of monkeys, but I honestly think that they are often used as a crutch to hide a lack of imagination.

Which allows me to respond to the earlier mention of Mr. Frank Cho who, while a suburb and enviable drafstman, is a substantially less than stellar writer, to which the profusion of monkeys in Liberty Meadows can attest.
Rolando Calabria

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know why Scott has yet to use any of mys posts- they're all bad puns and titles that I just had to get out of my head (Like "Lady Chaterly's Hovercraft", or "Bonfire of the Manatees")

Hmm, similarly my fractured phrases, like "People In Glass Houses Should Own Plenty of Windex", and "Never Make the Third Out at Third Avenue".
I guess Scott does not love us.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with so many suggestions, I'm sure it isn't personal. I've submitted a few things over the past months, but since even I can't remember what they were, I'm hardly surprised they haven't caught Scott's fancy. I just like to type in stuff when it pops into my head.
RRH
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Monkey for nuthin Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think that monkeys and robots are like the catch-alls for cartoonists. We identify with them for their similarities to humans, but they are more endearing than human characters for some reason.

Robots and monkeys are distortions of the human figure. Most comics characters are already distortions of the human figure, but making them monkeys or robots lets you push that just a little further.

Scott may be using Monkeytown as an outlet for all his monkey desires. (Robots Love to Dance being an outlet for robots.)
Zem
Regular Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like there's some pretty heavy robot-outletting here as well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: