Published writer looking for artist for weekly webcomic!

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

KingCedbill
Forum Member

Published writer looking for artist for weekly webcomic!

Post by KingCedbill »

Hello Zwol! Nice to see you all once more.
Okay, so my two current comic projects are going quite well (shameless ninja plug BOOM: http://www.indyplanet.com/front/product/123987/[3] ). Anyways, I'm interested in starting a weekly webcomic, to be published online. But I'm assuming if you've opened this post, you would like to at least have a synopsis:

Freedom Rave is an Americana wet dream. It's a patriotic, liberty-spewing comedy in the style of The Colbert Report, set in medieval times in Scottish Europe, but yet somehow involving such contemporary facets as Elvis Presley, yachts, and machine guns. It takes place in a world where the main characters, who are from an offshoot of the Braveheart soldiers, must go on a medieval adventure to escape an army of supersoldiers by finding the fabled Suez Crystal. Their adventure will span four chapters, of roughly 16 pages each, with a page being uploaded every week, each chapter being collected in floppy form at its conclusion, and the entire story being collected in a trade paperback at the end of it all.
This is an unpaid gig. I ask for someone who wishes to flex their artistic abilities and can provide art/colors. I will be writing & lettering, as well as handling all printing desires. It will be published by Coast Comics on their website/in print, as well as printed by Ka-Blam. You will receive a complementary copy of each of the issues, as well as the TPB, and will be considered the co-creator.

Please PM me if you are interested or have any questions.

Thanks,
~Ced
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

Good idea?

Post by Ruyei »

Seems like a fairly solid and unique idea.

Still, looking at this proposal it doesn't look like you're offering any money at all, not even sales from the comic? Without going into all the side effects and difficulties of an artist working unpaid and thus having a less reliable artist (or none at all) I'd feel a little annoyed as an artist if pages of work were going into a project and no money was going my way. There are artists that just want to be published but, they're pretty hard to find and they're almost always beginners. Offer at least back end, if not an advance so an artist can eat. If you're planning on making money off the project it's not fair for an artist to go hungry and put a lot of work in for nothing but a pat on the back and a a bunch of floppies.

Sincerely,
Ruyei
Eagle-NO-Earth
Frequent Poster

Post by Eagle-NO-Earth »

To add in my two cents:

If you have a passion project that is intended to be a webcomic, and you know there will never be a single penny of profit, say so.

If you have a spec project that you are going to shop around, offer backend profit sharing.

If you have a project that already has a publisher attached, then there needs to be a firm set of milestones and an agreement of what shall be paid at each milestone.

This is obviously a profit making venture, treat it as such.

Eagle
(Ok, maybe that was more of a 50 cent piece)
Indie publisher with 4 series posting on the web now. See our calendar for update schedule.