Scott's Class -- NEW WEEK!

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Scott McCloud
The one and only

Scott's Class -- NEW WEEK!

Post by Scott McCloud »

GOOD NEWS!: We've added a second class! For all of you who couldn't sign up for the July 15-19 class before it sold out, there will now be a second one week seminar taking place July 22-26!

<a href="http://mcadart.com/mcart/index.cgi?&tas ... sign">Sign up here.</a>
clare

classes

Post by clare »

Any chance you'll do a class over seas? Say perhaps Britain?
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

No plans, currently, but you never know.

Minneapolis got it simply by asking. If there are other institutions that you think might want to sponsor such a thing, let them know.
MSUSpar10
Regular Poster

Post by MSUSpar10 »

Thanks for adding another class, Scott. Unfortunately, my stupid Master's of Ed classes overlap with these by one hour. :cry:

I've seriously thought about dropping that class, but I'm so close to finishing...

Add a third week and I'll be there :P !
Last edited by MSUSpar10 on Tue May 21, 2002 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm here to do some card tricks and fall way short on the yardstick of your love."
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

New York?

Post by Rip Tanion »

Hey, Scott, any plans to come here, to New York, the art capitol of the world, and birthplace of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Harvey Kurtzman, Bob Kane, et al?

I can't schlep out to Minnesota this summer.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

There's been some discussion about a U. of Maine seminar, but currently that's about as close as I'm likely to get.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

RE: New York?

Post by Rip Tanion »

Scott, you should consider, one day, maybe, teaching a class at School Of Visual Arts in Manhatten. I was a student there in the early 90's. I took classes taught by such names as Gene Colan, Sal Amendola, Joe Orlando, Carmine Infantino, Irwin Hasen, and Gahan Wilson (Kurtzman and Will Eisner were also teaching there, but I never had the pleasure of taking thier classes)

While they were all good teachers, the problem with most of these guys was that they were old, and thought the comics universe was limited to Marvel, DC, and the mainstream newspaper syndicates. With the exception of Wilson, they were not hip to the whole underground and alternative comics movements (NOTE: I don't include Eisner or Kurtzman in this matter, since I never met them). I'm sure it has changed somewhat, especially since some those guys are no longer alive. Still, I'm sure they can always use younger blood.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

SVA was great in the early and mid 80's when Eisner, Spiegelman and Kurtzman were all teaching (I even sat in on a few of Spiegelman and Eisner's classes).

Lately, after the lull you mentioned, things have gotten a lot younger, and very cool with the addition of Tom Hart, Jessica Abel and others. I might do something at SVA eventually (I've been in contact with them) but I'm living in So. Cal. so it wouldn't be a long term thing.
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Supplies?

Post by Tim Mallos »

Howdy Scott!
What kind of supplies would you suggest for the "hands-on" exercises?
Tim
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Bring anything you like, but be prepared to set them aside for a much of the class while we use some very low-tech tools (markers and such) to explore the decision-making process at the heart of comics storytelling.
scottj

Minnesota Trip

Post by scottj »

Scott,

Looks like you've got yourself a summer weekend in Minnesota. Hope someone has invited you "up north" to their cabin. And don't overlook St. Paul while you're in Minneapolis. They have great museums for kids: science, childrens, and history.

Scott J.
MSUSpar10
Regular Poster

Re: Minnesota Trip

Post by MSUSpar10 »

Anonymous wrote:Scott,

Looks like you've got yourself a summer weekend in Minnesota.
Scott J.
"A" summer weekend? We get more than one up here? :-?
"I'm here to do some card tricks and fall way short on the yardstick of your love."
scottj

Re: Minnesota Trip

Post by scottj »

MSUSpar10 wrote:
"A" summer weekend? We get more than one up here? :-?
Yah, you betcha, the ice should be off the lakes by late July 8)

(but what would I know, I'm an expatriate Minnesotan living in NoCal).
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Don't forget your "Save the Twins", and "Bud Selig Sucks" T-shirts.
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

I've just registered for the second week of classes! ::dance of joy::

Anyone here going to the 2nd week?

later,
Randy
reinx
Regular Poster

Post by reinx »

Me!! I've already taken off of work, just need to actually pay for the darn thing... and find somewhere to stay...
anybody know anywhere around the area of the school thats cheap?
-Casey
nothing.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

reinx wrote:and find somewhere to stay...
anybody know anywhere around the area of the school thats cheap?
-Casey
Check out this thread:

http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Randy
Consistant Poster

dammit

Post by Randy »

My car has broken down and as a result I will not have the money that I need to make it to the 2nd week of class.

::sigh::

I guess that I'll have to try and make it to another one. (I'm sure there will be another one. Sometime.)

::double sigh::

Later guys,
Randy
reinx
Regular Poster

Post by reinx »

I'm just curious... is anybody else going to the second week other than me?
Randy... bummer....
nothing.
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

reinx wrote:... bummer....
I know. ::sigh::
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

Sorry Randy, that totally sucks.

I am posting from a Mac design lab at MCAD here is sunny Minnesota.
Got in this morning. Thought I'd come early and see some sites, do some comics-focused alone time.

Reinx, I just found out that the MCAD campus is in the middle of a genuine crime zone. ******, a cool security person, gave me the low-down. Essentially, wandering anywhere off the 4 sq block campus is a not a great idea in broad daylight and dangerous after 6pm.

Edit: Sunday addendum: Things aren't that bad during the day, come to find out.

Looks like a lot of Jimmy Johns subs delivered until I can form a posse on Monday!

I'm actually staying on campus, and will pretty much be STAYING on campus ;)

Everybody seems really cool though. The bookstore and library are closed on the weekend during the summer, so I'm a little bummed about that too.

But, I brought plenty to do.

I'll be popping back in here during the week.

I'll share any other logistical insights.

If anyone has questions about the MCAD campus / other stuff feel free to ask and I'll see if I can find out what you need.

Also http://www.mcad.edu has info.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a mini-journal of my week and post it at my site. If I do, I'll publicize the link here.

Tim

Edit: Took out the security person's name on the off chance MCAD would scold someone for being frank and giving me important safety information...
Last edited by Tim Mallos on Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon White

Heee... *plaintiff sigh*

Post by Jon White »

Hot crackers, having now seen the entirety of this thread, I'm virtually to the point of weeping. (*hee.*) I'm fourth-quarter Art Institute of Seattle, but I've harbored this (not odd, just longing-like) *thing* for Minnesota ever since I first recieved MCAD literature in high-school. (I had, for years, pretty much knew AIS -- graphic design -- would be the way things would pan out, but the fact that MCAD sent through the mail a separate catalog just exhibiting their comics production, phooo....hehehe.) Heaven knows I've spent many a night staring at the bedroom ceiling wondering just how crazy transferring-credits would be. *sigh* :-? :wink: To find out that one of the creators behind the things that genuinely changed my life ("UndComics," Manhattan, any Keith Green album, the collected Jimmy Corrigan hardcover) is going to be at that school...hee. Yeah.
Jon White
Forum Member

*oops* But at least my addy is now public...

Post by Jon White »

Bygones...I have a profile now. :)

To keep this on-topic of sorts (as opposed to completely devoid of pertinent substance), did anyone else's first exposure to either Treachery of Images or Magritte come about from UC? Definitely yes for me on the former, but the man himself I first ran into from a Paul Simon song...
"The thought that life could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts and our brains."

PAUL SIMON

"Dreams, they complicate my life."

R.E.M.
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Hey there campers.

Post by Tim Mallos »

I'm doin' my little journal thing on my site. You can check it out at http://www.fifthdigit.com/comics/

Journal link at the top!

Tim