some advice

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Dan Hernandez
Forum Member

some advice

Post by Dan Hernandez »

Right now I am in the unique position of being able to make money off my comics. Let me explain some more, a friend of mine is a local party promoter and he had asked me to do one drawing that he would then include on his flyer. Well everyone one in his group really loved the drawing and now he wants to have me do a monthly comic for his flyer, I figured why not cash in and design a t-shirt with the charactor for him also. You know to get some change in my pocket. I just found out that he now is starting to design a website for his promotions, not only that but I have been tapped to do some of the design for it. I have also been asked to turn my comic into a bi-weekly feature for his site. On top of that another comic I have been designing for another site has generated interest with him as well with potential T-shirt designs of that charector for him, so right now am considering to tell that other site sorry but no deal. Because if I do this work for him I could eventually make a mini of both the comics that, I would possibly do for him thus I could make some more money off my comics. And I have already gotten clearence to sell them through the shows he promotes.

I am really new to comics, I mean I have only really been making comics for about a year and a half, So I really have no idea about being in the business. But my feeling is to make significant money from my webcomics, currently, I would need to work both fronts, the web side as well as physical side. He is also relatively new to party promotions but has recently had a pretty singnificant boom in business. Should I just ride the wave and take it as far as it will take me or should I should be more cautious and plan ahead, I am kinda overwhelmed at this point so I am not thinking right. I just need some words of advice, suggestions, comments, warnings or whatever before I decide to commit to this.
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Go with it.

Post by Tailsteak »

I say "go with it". I would. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, many cartoonists would kill to be where you are.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Best thing, I guess is to discuss it with an accountant to be sure you won't make mistakes financially, then weigh all options as to what you want to do in ten years' time. Of course that's what I'd do
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
Dan Hernandez
Forum Member

I swear to god its the insomnia talking

Post by Dan Hernandez »

Hey thanks for the encouragement, big thumbs up. I have already gotten started on that comic thingy type stuff i was talking about before. And as soon as i have anysort of money to account for i will definitally get an accountant to account it all. But for now i am going to reinvent the frog so i will see you all later.