s.m.t.p.'s...what the !@@!#$# are they?

Discuss the Zwol comic. (Random yammering also allowed.)

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

Post by Tim Winstead »

my i.s.p. tells me they do not use s.m.t.p's....is there another way to e-mail a scanned image that automatically gets dumped in to my "in" box once scanned?.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I think this may be a problem with the software you're using to send the email, but it's really hard to tell from the description you've provided. Whenever I email a file, I send it as an attachment which I manually select, so I'm not sure what your software is doing to automatically dump a file to your inbox. Anybody else know?

SMTP stands for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" and is an extremely common way of sending email. In fact, I don't know of any other protocol used to send mail (but I'm not a true tech-head).
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
cdoc
Regular Poster

email scanning

Post by cdoc »

Most scanners now have the ability to scan directly to email (thus "dumping") and start the email software so you may send the message with the scanned item as an attachment rather than doing it manually. Don't know about other email protocols, though.

cdoc
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

How do you e-mail normally?

Didn't know it WAS possible to send mail without smtp :roll:

What e-mail do you use normally? Web-based only? Or do you have a program like "Outlook" installed?? Try to check the settings for that program: they might hold the answer :wink:
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Greg Stephens wrote:SMTP stands for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" and is an extremely common way of sending email. In fact, I don't know of any other protocol used to send mail (but I'm not a true tech-head).
<geek>X.400, more common in Europe and Canadia, but not that common.</geek>
Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

Post by Tim Winstead »

hey guys...i appreciate the advice..I guess it's just a retrieval problem.
what i really need to know,using my web-base e-mail is how to retrieve
the scanned image and attach it to my e-mail from that so-called "in box". Any thoghts would be appreciated..Thanx
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Web-based email could be another kettle of fish entirely, but using Hotmail as a baseline example, it doesn't look difficult.

After you've scanned your image, you need to make sure to save it to your hard drive in a location where you know to find it. This is probably where you're having difficulty- if the scanner offers an option to save to disk rather than to an "inbox," then you should use that instead.

Remember that size of the file also matters when emailing images, so after you save it you should look for the file and make sure it's not too large. There are various ways to reduce and/or compress image size. For full-color images, the .jpg format probably provides the smallest file size with the best quality (though compressing too far can really make the image ugly).

Your web-based email account may include an option to "Add attachments." On Hotmail, this is found on the Compose page as a button below the address/subject fields. This opens a new page which includes a "Find File" option and a button to "Browse." The browse button allows you to search your hard drive for any file, so if you remember where you saved your scanned image, then you should be able to attach it to the email.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.