Doonesbury?

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Wallbat
Forum Member

Doonesbury?

Post by Wallbat »

Okay, I don't get it. :oops:
Why does Scott look like Mike Doonesbury in the "I know your reading this...." strip. :-?
Am I looking for to much significance in a short little improv? It's just that Scott's kind of smart, and he claimed he was more of a visual person than a written word person. But I can't draw, and I just wonder if I am missing something obvious. :(

but maybe not. I don't know.
Don't blame me if you don't like what I say, it's the X-Men's fault I'm here in the first place.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Actually, I just associated that kind of repeating-static-image style with early Doonesbury strips, so I chose to ape Mr. Trudeau a bit in the art.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Eventually everybody does a Doonesbury homage.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

Are you foreshadowing Greg?

(You've already done a Peanuts homage)
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Greg Stephens wrote:Eventually everybody does a Doonesbury homage.
Gee, I thought it was a parody, rather than a homage. Maybe, it because I could never stand that strip. When it comes to newspaper strips of that era, I was always more of a Bloom County fan.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Rip Tanion wrote:When it comes to newspaper strips of that era, I was always more of a Bloom County fan.
Doonesbury, launched in 1970, predates Bloom County by 10 years and owes a great debt to the earlier Doonesbury strips for its style. While they both appeared in newspapers at the same time during Bloom County's run, I don't think you can say that they're of the same era. From a larger perspective, they're both products of the late-Twentieth Century, but the decade that Doonesbury existed prior to Bloom County coming along makes for a significant difference. It's even fair to say that without Doonesbury, there would be no Bloom County as we know it.

None of this, however, invalidates any opinion as to which one is superior. That's purely a matter of taste.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

I fully acknowledge the Doonsbury influence on Bloom County, but I still thought Bloom was a much funnier strip.

And even though it got it's start in the '70s, I've always assossiated Doonsbury with the '80s, since that seemed to me, to be when the strip was at its most popular.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)