Looking for the most user friendly and cheap!.

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

Looking for the most user friendly and cheap!.

Post by Tim Winstead »

Hey all. I'm getting geared up to commit to a website for the posting of my artwork among other things, and am curious as to ..what is a good user friendly and relatively cheap ( dirt cheap is more like it ) host for a site? I currently have a webpage with geocities.com and though the construction of that page is easy enough..it's small and very limited.
I would appreciate any advice from those who already run a site,so as I'll have an idea going in and not #@!%* up my first time out. Thanx Tim
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

What do you mean by 'user friendly'? It makes all the pages for you, or just not deliberately obtuse?

Can you handle an FTP client and either write HTML by hand or use an HTML editor? Is $5 a month cheap, or what's cheap?
Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

User friendly websites

Post by Tim Winstead »

Well...5$ a month is most certainly cheap enough..not having the computer savvy that most of you out there possess,I tend to make these
questions more confusing than I intend..Sorry about that!. I suppose what it is that I'm looking for is..a site that is easy enough for the in-experienced to use..something that I can post easily to.. All in all..just something that lets me track hits..
and most importantly..post my art in an area that is a lot larger that the thumbnail space I get from my webpage. That problem alone confuses me..when I upload to my page..the image is always tiny and speck like..especially my strips. This could and probably is an error
on my behalf. And if so.I don't know how to correct it so the image is sharp and above all...distinguishable. My biggest concern with obtaining a site is the exposure for my art and how often that art is viewed whether it is liked or regarded as crap. Any help one could give to this misguided soul is appreciated..Thanx..Tim
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

I hate to say it, but you may have to learn something. :D

I use warped.com as a webhost. It's $5/month with a decent amount of disk space and bandwidth. It has a built in invisible page tracking thing, which I augment further with some of my own CGIs. They take PayPal, which helps me because I don't have a credit card.

To use it you'll need to know how to upload a file using a FTP client and how to make your own web pages (which will cure your tiny image problem). You could learn those by reading a book, or just get WS_FTP and a HTML editor and going through the instructions. I can't reccomend a HTML editor, because I write my pages in Notepad and Simpletext. Perhaps someone else here can.

Or, you can trawl around the internet until you find another service that has pre-made pages and all the junk you use now, but it's not going to be cheap.
reinder
Forum Member

Post by reinder »

If your host supports PHP (like the cheap phpwebhosting.com or the free xepher.net ) you can use Gallery to post artwork. That requires no HTML knowledge to run although you will need HTML skills to change it from the defaults, or integrate it into your website. It also uses its own web-based uploading functionality. You will need to install it to your web server though.
To see it at work: http://xepher.net/~rocr/gallery/albums.php

And the program itself can be found at http://gallery.sourceforge.net/