MCCLOUD RESPONDS

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Kevin Pease
Regular Poster

Post by Kevin Pease »

Huh. Looks like if the connection times out while I'm typing, I get posted as "Anonymous." The above is me, Kevin Pease.

Greg edits: Fixed that for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Greg Stephens on 2001-06-27 10:40 ]</font>
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

Kevin Pease wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE><I>I myself reacted to Scott's general disinterest in comic strips as a "small" form of the medium with "fewer challenges" before anyone else did; I introduced "Reiterating Comics" right here at Zwol because of it. But few people noticed...I thought perhaps it could open a real dialogue that didn't have to be a war.</I></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we going to see any more of <I>Reiterating Comics</I>? I was enjoying the ideas that have been expressed so far, and I get the feeling there's more to be said on the subject of "comic strip theory" (although I don't know offhand what the more would be, hence my desire to see you and Greg do it).

Peace out,

Max Leibman
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Re: Reiterating-- Yes! Kevin had one he was planning on doing and I've been given a script for one to draw (but for various reasons, feel I should wait until I see what Kevin's done) and Frank "Damonk" (FRAMED!!!) has something he's working on and... oh, it just goes on.

AND: Mentioned in two other threads, but it belongs here, too--

The Penny-Arcade reply to Scott's reply (after Scott & Tycho's phone conversation) is here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2001-06-27
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
rstevens
Forum Member

Post by rstevens »

On 2001-06-27 09:29, Kevin Pease wrote:
I think the kings of Keenspot have very little grounds to complain about being ignored by anyone. Badmouthing Scott McCloud is obviously an attention-getting device on the part of Crosby in the push to establish Keenspot as the monolithic alpha-to-omega of web comic strips. "How dare you fail to recognize us as the most important thing happening in the world of comics today!" If an online comic strip is not a Keenspot member, its very existence is in question, unless it's one of the big self-sufficient "Got-There-Firsts." So when Keenspot discovers that there's a theatre in which they aren't the center of attention, pardon me if I fail to be sympathetic when this upsets them.
i think you have a damn solid point there. croz is a great guy, but i really don't share his view of the world on that topic. i'm opposed to any monolithic grouping of ANYTHING that does not have healthy competition. that's a large part of why i never joined keenspot, even with the ad revenue and intra-network traffic sharing benefits.
Love, pixels and indie rock.
http://www.dieselsweeties.com
?platypus
Forum Member

Post by ?platypus »

On 2001-06-27 09:29, Kevin Pease wrote:

Badmouthing Scott McCloud is obviously an attention-getting device
To be fair I don't see Mr Crosby doing this.
It looked like he was being left out of a
forum where he could make a contribution.
As far as I can see it was setteled quite
ammocabicly, and there was no attack.
I myself reacted to Scott's general disinterest in comic strips as a "small" form of the medium with "fewer challenges" before anyone else did;
It was one of the few things that irrated me
when I was reading reinventing comics and
understanding comics that strips both online
and newspaper based seemed to be under represented.

(That and the fact that anthrpomorphisum can
be used to as a method of abstracting to the
every man).
I introduced "Reiterating Comics" right here at Zwol because of it. But few people noticed, because I wasn't hurling insults or holding it against him at all.
Negative behavour seems to be more noticable.
*sigh* Its what every troll, flamer and tantram child finds out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ?platypus on 2001-07-03 22:07 ]</font>