FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
Draft requirements for an Infinite Canvas
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART
Previous: PostUnbreakable McCloud Next: PostSubscription-based comics site  
John2two
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To recap the current state of the project:

The current draft of the requirements doc is version 0.14, and can be found here.

Page one of the archives of this thread from the ezBoard forum, containing 20 posts from 15/01/2001 through 10/03/2001, can be found here.

Page two of the archives, containing 17 posts from 24/03/2001 through 21/04/2001, can be found here.

The topics we've discussed since the most recent version of the requirements doc was posted include:

• subtleties of "flipping the infinite" and panel flipping
  • workgroup authoring
  • tools for creating indexes
  • anticipations of process to make this all reality
  • Link to Jason McIntosh's project to define a Comics Markup Language in XML.

So, my fine friends, let's get on with it... Are there other features that an Infinite Canvas environment would have to have in order to be recognizable as such? Do you have questions, comments, or debate about the features that are already discussed in the draft requirements doc? If so, let's hear them here!

Toward dreams so powerful that they bend reality and become self-fulfilling,

John

[ This Message was edited by: John2two on 2001-04-25 09:26 ]
jmac
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for redundancy's sake:

jmac.org is currently explodiated due to ISP dorkiness, so the link above doesn't work at the moment, but I set up a mirror that does.

lylebclarke
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bit of time on my brain, I was just thinking about the Infinite Canvas, and suddenly came thought, "do the specs cover hyper-linking into the IC?". So I zoomed over and had a read. Canvas to canvas links are there, as well as canvas to external URLs, but I couldn't see anything about links coming in the other way. I.e., a link on a webpage leads to the correct region/panel etc., being shown in the IC reader program.

Also, I was thinking about all the different things that authors could associate with panels, notes, links, sounds etc, and I think that some kind a database/stylesheet arrangement could be useful in organising these. For example, so that associations don't need to be made to every panel, but to regions instead.

--
I've been doing some experimenting with non-plot-moving-sounds (ambient sounds (rain, wind, cars driving past, and breathing) in a Flash based comic, static multi-panel at one time comic and have found the results pleasing.

Also, for sounds and backgrounds etc, instead of just associating the elements seperately to various panels and regions, what about if again some kind of style sheet could be used. Complete 'moods' or 'feelings' could be pre-defined and associated, and then the right 'ambience attributes' would be read from the stylesheet and then rendered. These attributes could include style/colour of text, colour of backgrounds/hyperlinks, background patterns, sounds files, or even (if machine read for visually impaired) change the pace or tone. That sort of thing.

Cheers
Lyle
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As readers for the visually impared get more robust there may be support for changing voices as well. So, as long as we're brainstorming wildly, perhaps there could be a facility for creating a character-specific style definition, denoting gender and pacing for a character.

I know that's "way out there", but fun to think about.

Tim
John2two
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just posted version 0.15 of the draft requirements at the normal place.

It incorporates all the good ideas that have been posted here since the last version was unveiled. In particular, it elaborates the flipping the infinite feature to allow the creator to set a default behavior for each canvas, plus set aside individual panels to be exceptions to that default behavior.

If it's not perfect yet, post how it could be better...

John

[ This Message was edited by: John2two on 2001-05-28 00:26 ]
John2two
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you folks who came here following ICST#6 and flame wars are still reading, I'd like to point out that micropayments are merely one enabling technology for one of the twelve revolutions Scott advocates in Reinventing Comics.

The guy's got many more ideas about ways comics can grow. Here at the Zwol/RC forum, we're talking about all of them.

One of those ideas is that comics can become more fully their own art form if they have a medium in which they can sprawl in whatever direction the artist wants to use for its intrinsic, artistic reasons. He calls such an expansive environment an infinite canvas, and posits that computers are the place that such an environment can be created.

As a first step toward making an infinite canvas environment that works better for that purpose than HTML, some of us have been trying to define what, exactly, we would expect that environment behave like.

Yup, this post is really just a bit of cheesy self-promotion for this thread, to hike it up the list after the flurry of the last couple weeks. If you're interested, please read the backposts on this thread and the requirements doc. Together, we can help make happen "the first golden age of online comics, circa 2017-2032".

John
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's a thought I've been having

(Oh, and I can't go look at the doc right now, it's not loading on my browser for some reason, so forgive me if this is covered already, but I sure don't remember it...)

Does the draft requirements doc deal with different types of displays?

For instance, obviously, the ICM would have to deal with different screen resolutions and moniter sizes, from ultra high-res bigscreen moniters to any handheld device with sufficient graphics capability to handle the bare minimums. But what about a more VR-like system?

Scott discusses Virtual Reality in Reinventing Comics as another, non-comics media, but a comic in a VR environment is still a comic. Once we have an advanced enough VR system (at least high-res goggles and hand controls), the ICM could and should support viewing through this type of device. You would have a more natural vantage point to veiw it, reading it at whatever angle and distance you feel like, manipulating it/navigating through by hand.

A monitor can't and shouldn't be the only way to approach an Infinite Canvas Composition; we should support any viewing technology available.

Just my thought.

Peace out,

Virtual Max Leibman
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: