Shades of December, Issue 11 Now Online

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Shades of December, Issue 11 Now Online

Post by Alexander D. »

In our second online issue, Shades of December is happy to present what may be our most diverse line-up of creative talent yet. We hope you will enjoy our latest mix of drama, fiction, graphic fiction, and poetry, online now at www.shadesofdecember.com.

Featured in this issue:

Drama:

Jean Hedgecock - "Resurrection"
"And then, she shook her head violently from side to side…and words fell from her matted hair. They fell all around her-round blue words and she gathered them quickly and carefully before they could slip beneath the dust ruffle or under the floorboards. And then she spoke..."

Graphic Fiction:
Andy Helms returns with the beautifully illustrated "The Contemporary Legend of Rose Marie."

Derek Kirk shares the quiet and lonely tale of a disconnected family in "Super Unleaded."

Fiction:
Hester Young - "Lesson Plans"
"The teacher girls come at the start of the wet season. Right away they want to know, where is the new schoolhouse? Everyone coughs and shrugs and pretends not to understand their Spanish. Eventually someone takes them over to Tita Zarzuela's land, so they can see for themselves how the mud has poured in and covered the schoolhouse floor."

Arlene Mandrell - "Mother and Daughter Shopping Lists"
"2. Four people in three rooms. We still live like immigrants. All day the sun bakes down on the roof and by suppertime the kitchen is like an oven.
2. We just had nine of the twelve rooms repainted, and I realized that we never had screens for the library or the bay window in the kitchen."

Poetry:
Robyn Art, Joseph Daniels, Don Goodwin, Carol Hamilton, Jody Helfand, Bernadette Higgins, Kim Kessaris, Simon Perchik, Tim Suermondt, Laura Van Prooyen, Frederick Zydeck.

From the Desk of Mr. Sol
Justin Solonyka - "Scenes from My First Film"
"In December of 2000, an old friend from high school called me, somewhat out of the blue, to inform me that he had been diagnosed with cancer a few months earlier but everything seemed to be all right now, and would I like to be in a movie that he would be filming in the Summer of 2001?"
japanimationfist
Consistant Poster

Post by japanimationfist »

Derek Kirk! Woo woo! I sort of wish I could subscribe.
Check out this week's <a href="http://www.monsterhollow.com">Featured Creature</a>
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

japanimationfist wrote:Derek Kirk! Woo woo! I sort of wish I could subscribe.
Yeah, getting Derek was quite a thrill for us!
japanimationfist
Consistant Poster

The contemporary legend of rose-marie was great too, btw, not to suggest otherwise. I love those lines and colors (you may want to double-check the last line though).
Check out this week's <a href="http://www.monsterhollow.com">Featured Creature</a>
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

japanimationfist wrote:The contemporary legend of rose-marie was great too, btw, not to suggest otherwise. I love those lines and colors (you may want to double-check the last line though).
One of the major frustrations of publishing comics right now is that they come to me as finished images -- much as I would love to proofread them, I don't have any way of correcting the errors I find. And as difficult a time as I've had getting submissions, I'm wary of telling creators they have to go back and make changes to their work.
japanimationfist
Consistant Poster

I understand. I've made plenty of little blunders in my daily comic, but I promise that when I get around to finishing my submission I will be sure to have someone proofread it for me. Beautiful art though, and a great ending.