Article about paying for web content

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Article about paying for web content

Post by Greg Stephens »

Not specifically about comics, but more about writing. Article located here:

http://www.reservocation.com/02_10/art_ ... 02_10.html

Here's an excerpt:
If you?re writing for the Web, there will sooner or later come a time of reckoning. Very, very few people are capable of cranking out insightful, articulate, even moderately well-researched prose without some return on the investment in time and effort. Sooner or later, many of us are going to have to pass the hat. The trouble is, because of everything outlined above, there?s nothing anything close to consensus regarding appropriate ways for independent content providers to do so.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

It seems there is but one flaw in his reasoning: Paypal systems buried only two layers deep don't work, unless you've got some real Freaks/Fans willing to "support".

It's like giving away fruit for free on a market with dozens of other fruitsellers, then asking someone to pay because that way the fruit will remain free.

It seems very noble and all, but most people (and as an artist you are still trying to reach "most people", even when you don't want to sell out, as you don't HAVE to CONFORM to most people)....most people will take your fruit say thanx politely then walk away. I know I would.

Now if fruitsellers would ask only a few cents "for the sake of it" but still hand over the fruit if you're broke, that *could* catch on.

Still the way he sketches it, it reminds me of those "religious" book salesmen (selfproclaimed Jehova's witnesses and other obscure pseudochristian sects mainly), that first hand you an interesting book "for free", then ask for a donation. I like to read stuff ... any stuff... and even the writings of an apocalyptic sect or weird religion enriches me, but often when I say "no thanks, I won't donate, because I haven't read the book, so I don't know if your new religion is worth it", or even "I don't like your religion at all but am still interested in reading the book" or "I like the book, but have no money on me and you won't get some anyway", the seeler takes back the book and then mumbles some excuse about it being for free only when you have donated at least $ 2.00 .

Only online there isn't any Bible seller sweettalking himself out of his lies, there is only the free book and the proposal of a "free donation".

I don't know how others think about this. Otherwise I like to spend my money gladly on people I like (Ben Harper, perhaps soon Non Sequitur by Wiley, ...) but by simply BUYING CONTENT!

I prefer the here's an exerpt so you know what I'm worth approach. Otherwise... why bother? (Unless my favorite cartoonist/comic artist/musical artist is starving to death, but hey, there'salways welfare ::mischievous grin::

Well, what are your takes on this?

By the way, Greg, how do you get by? What's your "day job"?
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Odd how the PBS telethon is running on the TV in the background as I read this ...