EASY & CHEAP solution to get your own comics online

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

InkAddict
Consistant Poster

EASY & CHEAP solution to get your own comics online

Post by InkAddict »

I'm starting this comic because I found out how to publish my comics and it has taken me some pains and nervous breakdowns no-one has to go through.

First of all: "webspace"

I've tried a number of free hosting solutions, and never got my site "off the ground"...

Main reasons:
*Some hosts are just "hoaxes", promising tons of features then asking for money when you "need" them,
*Others are so hard to configure, or so restrictive, you either end up with their "standard" package or with nothing at all,
*Some are Russian, Croatian,... or simply don't offer any support,
*Some are slow, or quickly become "slow" when traffic increases
*Most of them don't accept CGI scripts, php, Java or any "scripting" other than those they are "hosting"...

Then, however I got interested in Blogs, and the sheer beauty and "streamlined" simplicity of their pages,... but unfortunately most of them are again "hosted" on far-away servers...

_________

Luckily I've got a Cable connection with LOTS of free webspace... AND (because it's cable) some fair speeds.
Most of these personal webspace things are rather restrictive, though, with only 3 (THREE) CGI-scripts at my disposition, and none other permitted.

Actually, THAT was my sole motivation to finding what turned out to be "iBlog" from Lifli Software

Try it for free for about a month (it's $ 19.- to install it on two computers), and it can load an easy, nice, clean blog, to which you still can add & tweak things.

You use it exclusively on your desktop, then load your site (or just an update), while it categorises everything, and creates your "archives".

You can start (and then interlink) multiple blogs (which I'm going top do) and even collaborative blogs,...

Most of all, it's DEAD easy, once you learn to work with it (though I've had some problems with their documentation and the FTP-upload feature), but it's the best thing around when you don't want to go into lots of scripting.

One down: it's Mac OS X only (Does anyone know of a solution for PC or Mac Classic?)

Go check my site to see what it can do (which isn't much, but is quite a lot, when you use some imagination) 8) :wink:
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Forgive me for not speaking techie, but what is blog? I keep on hearing it being thrown around in conversations about web pages, but I just don't know what it means. Please enlighten me.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

"blog" is short for "weblog" and most weblogs are sorts of online journals, but there are many sorts.

Check out http://www.weblogs.com for tons of links.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

...and... (because I've had similar questions once ;) )... a "weblog" is something like an online journal, regularly updated (not my case yet, though), so they have to be easily updatable, and can even be a "joint effort", as with the mother of all blog communities, Metafilter
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I do a manual log on the index page in html. Does that count, or do we need these fancy programs previously mentioned?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I'd say that counts.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

I'm using the aforementioned little program because I've got quite a busy schedule (with exams and deadlines) so I don't have the patience to sift through my html, but I can't do anything else either (having no access to advanced scripting etc...) :oops:
Thomas
Frequent Poster

Flash blog

Post by Thomas »

Come next month Ill be switching my site over to Flash and I am doing what I call a "poor mans" blog on it with flash using a scrollable text box in the flash file to post my blog that Ill try to update daily and then I have added a link at the bottom of the text box to a free message board so that people can comment on what I have up. For now I hope it works like I have in mind and if its successful I may go full out on a "real" blog service because over the last few months I too have come to really love the whole blog idea and simplicity.
Thanks,
Thomas Clemmons