The Evil that Men Forget to Do vs. Seven Religions to Go

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

The Evil that Men Forget to Do vs. Seven Religions to Go

Post by Greg Stephens »

I've noticed "The Evil that Men Forget to Do" and "Seven Religions to Go" swapping the top spots back and forth for the last week or so with great interest. I know the requested bid limit in $0.99, so I've been voting multiple times with small increments each time it looks like the title I'm rooting for falls behind, and it appears as though others are too.

So, who's doing the same? You don't have to say which title you're voting for, because that would take half the fun out of it.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

I dropped my .99 in very early on, and have been kind of regretting it. Every time my title falls behind, I want to vote again, but sadly that is against the rules.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I think I actually suggested one of those titles (won't say which). Maybe I didn't...it sounds like something I would have suggested. I kind of hope that it wins just so I can see my name and determine if it's mine or not.
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster

Hrm...

Post by Cyborg Caveman »

Anonymous wrote:I think I actually suggested one of those titles (won't say which). Maybe I didn't...it sounds like something I would have suggested. I kind of hope that it wins just so I can see my name and determine if it's mine or not.
Hunh. Weird. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder but I was fairly certain I had submitted BOTH of those titles. Only time will tell I guess. What would be interesting is to find out if there have indeed been any coinkydink duplicate submissions and if so how many and what they were. Scott?
Greg O.
michael patrick

Post by michael patrick »

Nah, I'm probably just mistaken.

Like I said, it just sounded like one of mine.

As long as no one ever votes for "Bonfire of the Manatees" we'll be ok.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

I just checked and unless they're using alternate names, neither of those titles originated with Greg O. or Patrick.

In general, I don't look at the authors until one gets picked.

Maybe you dreamed them?
Michael Patrick

Maybe you dreamed them?

Maybe I dreamed them and then my dreams were eaten by a Somnivore...
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Well, I've reached the $0.99 limit. I'll have to leave this matter to the hands of fate, now.

Or recruit some new voters...
Michael Patrick

Come to think of it, "Nothing to do with Lemons" is a pretty good title.
Christopher Lundgren
Frequent Poster

I rather thought so.

Post by Christopher Lundgren »

Yeah, I voted for "Nothing to do with Lemons." I'm intrigued by the thought of what clever thing Scott might do to make a comic that is about something (I mean it would be better if the title related in SOME way to the comic) and yet has nothing to do with it.

Though I suppose a back door could be a comic about someone who hates lemons, and would therefore have nothing to do with them. I think that'd be a bit disappointing though.

By the time I time I finally went ahead and got a bitpay account set up, my personal favorite was already way behind. I still plunked down my sweet 99 cents just on principle. I wasted my vote on the "third party" candidate. :wink:
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

My top choice is one of the two cheif contendors, but my second choice was "Exclamation Mark." I was disappointed to see how poorly that one has done. But I do have a soft spot for punctuation.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Note to Christopher:

You could always recruit a friend or three. ^^

I have an inkling of what I would do if "Nothing to do with Lemons" was picked and it would indeed be fun. Nevertheless, I shall accept the hand that fate deals.

(BTW: I also have 99 cents I can spend, though I've made a vow not to use it on the last day as a tie-breaker cause that wouldn't be fair).
michael patrick

After watching a rerun of "Six Feet Under" (an excellent show, by the way) I came up with a pretty good story to go along with "Nothing to Do with Lemons".

Well, maybe not all that good...it involves auto-erotic asphyxiation.
yossarian

nothing to do with lemons

Post by yossarian »

I just wanted to say that I think "Nothing To Do With Lemons" is by far the superior title, although it doesn't look as though it shall win (I've already logged my dollar's worth of votes). This may be for the best, as it's not certain that title would yield a great comic, but damn that's a great title. I would just sleep better at night knowing there was something called "Nothing To Do With Lemons."
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Remember, the one thing you can do is recruit a few friends (assume they like the title too). Right now, it would take about six but you never know.
michael patrick

And who knows, even if that title doesn't win, Scott may decide to use it some day down the road. He might fit it into his schedule between now and the year 2045.
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

Alexander D. wrote:my second choice was "Exclamation Mark." I was disappointed to see how poorly that one has done. But I do have a soft spot for punctuation.
in the e-merl comic scott is linking in his blog for it's use of infinite canvas, there is a chapter reserved for this title :-)

greets,
kaos
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

The Evil that Men Forget to Do - starring a senile Charles Bronson.
Seven Religions to Go - starring half of Hollywood.
Nothing to do with Lemons - nothing to do with Robert Plant.

The End of the World as We Know It (2008) *? - After the U.S. Constitution had been amended beyond recognition, Ahhnold battles an evil female Terminator (Hillary Clinton) for possession of the White House. rated R - violence, strong languge, brief nudity, depictions apocalyptic nightmares and a bare-assed Ted Kennedy puking Chivas and clam chowder all over the Senate floor.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

With all the waiting, the votes and this thread- I'm beginning to suspect that the title "The Evil That Men Forget to Do" will wind up being a two- or three-panel gag sort of like "Man-Eating shoes." Not that SRtG couldn't lend itself to the same sort of treatment.

Time will tell.
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster

Hrm.

Post by Cyborg Caveman »

Greg Stephens wrote:With all the waiting, the votes and this thread- I'm beginning to suspect that the title "The Evil That Men Forget to Do" will wind up being a two- or three-panel gag sort of like "Man-Eating shoes." Not that SRtG couldn't lend itself to the same sort of treatment.

Time will tell.
You could be right, but I'm hoping this isn't the case. There's so much that could be done with either title. However after Junk Bar and Somnivore something a little more light hearted wouldn't be amiss. Rip's idea of a senile Charles Bronson is pretty amusing, but I had the Evil Men Forget to Do pegged as some kind of retirement home gag involving the now senile Shadow. Or the Old Supervillains' Home. SOmething like that.

As far as Seven Religions to Go - -well it came in second, but if it were the pick I'd've figured some kind of fast food thing.
Greg O.