Air Poetry!

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Scott McCloud
The one and only

Air Poetry!

Post by Scott McCloud »

I accidentally left my microphone turned on while I went on an errand. My voice dictation system listened to the highway and ambient noises for 40 minutes and came up with this:

"WHY GRATEFUL LACK CHOICE HE PUT THOUGHT ON TO HAND AND HE MOVED @ HOW TO ENHANCE AND OF WILL HAVE TO SLASH THE HOT AIR BY SIDE FOR AND YOUR NOT WEAR-IS THAT WHOEVER WAS A RESCUE VICTORY THE HELL HAD SEEN IT ISN?T EASY TO STAFF THE WHERE LEN LAWYER AND AS CAN TO THAT AS THE SOLUTION TO HIT A BACKHAND AND LUBE AL IN-HEAD TO THE HE HAD HER AND THINK IN A THIN AND IS THAT A AND WHO LIVE HERE AND HAVE NOT THE GHOSTS LET ALICE THOUGHT HIS DEATH HAD TO ALL OF EL DE EIGHT THE LINE AT A WHILE OUR ACTIONS AND HAVE HUNDRED 6 L B AT LAST I THINK OF YOU AND A HIT WE?VE WHERE AND WHERE LEN AND AN 62 1/2 OF AN ODDLY THIS ADHESIVE OF HIM AT THE HALF AND CAN HAVE A HAND THE, AT HIS DEATH THE 8TH TO A LACK OF HAVE LIE HAVE HIT HE HAD BEEN HER AND HIM THAT I?M TO HAVE ALL THE ENTIRE AND NOON OF YOU HALF OF HIGH END OF HIT AND HAVE 5TH THOUGH"

Just had to preserve that for posterity before deleting.

Anyone else use voice dictation software? Anyone want to share their own "Air Poetry?"

--Scott
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Now that's cool. That's.... really cool. I literally had to laugh out loud at that. I have some version of Dragon Naturally Speaking, but I never really did much with it once it became obvious that it served me no practical purpose (It came bundled with the Corel WordPerfect 2000 suite I got about, well, 3 years ago). I may have to install that puppy and give it a whirl. I wonder what it would make of the jibber-jabber that my neighbors are always spouting off?
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

I'm a little confused here.

Was the microphone picking up voices from outside, or in the house, or on radio or televison?

Or was it translating the sounds of wind and vehicular traffic?

If it's the latter, then that's kind of spooky.

I should pick up this voice dictation software stuff, and not just because I'm a horrendous typist.

I wonder what it would make of the sound of the loud, low flying airliners (well they're loud and low at least to me in my high-rise apartment), coming in to land at LaGuardia Airport, across the water.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I tell you ... the truth is out there Scully!

Almost sounds like something found in a David Lynch film. Through the darkness of future past. The magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds: "Fire walk with me".

Althought, not "Air Poetry", I remember writing this short story for my high school lit class. Apparently I opened my file on the wrong version of Word or the file was corrupt, but it opened mostly with postscript junk and unrecognizable characters. However, there was bits and pieces of my story thrown into this one paragraph which I kept because it sounded like beatnic poetry. (slight editing to spelling and have proper quotation)

"A dreary all snow has melted, except a hour earlier and mostly consited only in my dreams.
Also the '...at least not after relation was just platonic.'
'I have way too many platonic in my life', Ben said as Dave moaned,
'nobody will know.'
'All go bowling again'
'pay again' Dave muttered"

Post by Guest »

Rip Tanion wrote:I'm a little confused here.

Was the microphone picking up voices from outside, or in the house, or on radio or televison?
I'm guessing the radio was on, just from the "ENHANCE!"
I tried to make it make some sort of sense, and resorted to cheating at some bits by deleting a few words. Interpetation, anyone?

"Why grateful lack of choice?" HE PUT THOUGHT ON TO HAND AND HE MOVED. @ "How to enhance?" And: "WILL HAVE TO SLASH THE HOT AIR BY
SIDE? FOR- AND- YOUR NOT WEAR-IS THAt."
WHOEVER WAS A RESCUE VICTORY, THE HELL, HAD SEEN IT. ISN?T EASY TO STAFF THE WHERE.
LEN LAWYER(CAN TO THAT, AS THE SOLUTION- HIT A BACKHAND) AND LUBE AL, IN-HEAD, HE HAD HER! AND THINK- IN A THIN! AND ,IS THAT A AND?
WHO LIVE HERE AND HAVE NOT THE GHOSTS? LET ALICE THOUGHT HIS DEATH HAD, TO ALL OF EL DE EIGHT, THE LINE. AT A WHILE, OUR ACTIONS HAVE HUNDRED 6 L B. AT LAST I THINK OF YOU AND A HIT WE?VE WHERE- AND WHERE? LEN AND AN 62 1/2 OF AN, ODDLY, THIS ADHESIVE.,
OF HIM AT THE HALF, CAN HAVE A HAND. THE, AT HIS DEATH, THE 8TH, TO A LACK OF HAVE, LIE
HAVE HIT, HE HAD BEEN HER- AND HIM. THAT I?M TO HAVE ALL THE ENTIRE AND
NOON OF YOU, HALF OF HIGH END OF HIT AND HAVE 5TH THOUGH!
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

Scott inspired me to play a Steve Martin monologue into Office's dictaphone. I've never "trained" Office to any voice. Here 'tis:

know of the horse riding man
You can move hundred others-goers are many other areas that is in June 1 raising them with their homes leaders in a piano in the the visiting 1:03 AM on the two new movies and is moving AM and noon a man who have is pro of the say that every age and the ladies' man who is in one layer love while the the only a
Taper
Forum Member

Not quite from ambient noise, but...

Post by Taper »

I was once trying out IBM's ViaVoice dictation software, and just talking into it conversationally--but the software kept inserting "blood", "lamb", and "Jerusalem" into the text randomly. Scary stuff.

I finally realized that the microphone cord was picking up the signal from the Christian AM radio station down the street...
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Wow. Now that IS scary.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

Ha! That's gorgeous!

What would James Joyce think of our air poetry?
zerofoks
Frequent Poster

Post by zerofoks »

The accidental poet?
<a href="http://www.radicalartistfoundation.de/zero.htm" target=_blank">zerofoks @ the Radical Artist Foundation</a>